BST Carbon or Marchesini Forged?? - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
Go Back   BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum > General BMW S1000RR Discussions > S1000RR/HP4 Suspension Setup, Tires, and Wheels

» Insurance
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2012, 03:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default BST Carbon or Marchesini Forged??

Curious as to which you guys would prefer. Looks like the BST wheels are lighter but I'm a bit concerned about durability. Would the Marchesini Forged Aluminum be just as good?
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2012, 04:01 PM   #2 (permalink)

I prefer the Marchesini, they look better imo
and I won't care for the little extra grams in weight savings the BST give. For both street and racing
Quarantine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

I will get a set just to have a second set off rims. Not every track day is sunny.
My picked would be forge aluminum. Do to cost.
I can't justify $4k for wheels and rotors.

Mad Yellow Bumble Bee
yangins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:20 PM   #4 (permalink)

Go marchesini, I had set of BST on my mv. Loved them and they made a huge difference but at a track day the tyre guy cracked the rear rim when he was changing it. So since that ill stick with marchesini
adamv1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:07 AM   #5 (permalink)

Default +1

Exact same question ditto in my head
PVM seems to make good forged alums too - which happen to be the same thats featured on the HP2. Lesser weight than Marchesinis even. Available through Alpha Racing. Wonder who makes/what are the specs on the HP4 wheels. Expect some to be on sale(HP4 ones), when ppl swap out the stock HP4 wheels for BST's.

PVM or Marchesinis - PVM's look horrible compared to Marchs but lighter, besides they are available in that cobalt blue, same color as the HP$ wheels.

Let me know what you decide.
varunrajg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:02 AM   #6 (permalink)

If I would do mostly road-track I would go for CF BST.Now for the track in my opinion the magnesium is the way to go Marchesini or PVM.With aluminum you will notice some difference but it does not compare with magnesium and CF.
A friend of mine has the PVM aluminum and then bought magnesium and there was really big difference.
You will never be arrested #58
DrIoannis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:33 AM   #7 (permalink)

Just a word of caution on carbon fibre. It's fine for stuff like body panels but on stressed components like wheels it does age and weaken. I looked at CF in aerospace design some years ago to strengthen some mechanical components but under examination it gradually develops micro cracking and softens in stressed applications.

Racers using carbon wheels don't keep them forever. So I'd always go for forged metal if you're expecting 10 years + life from them.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
Stealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:05 AM   #8 (permalink)

I have the BST wheels and i use them 95% on the road and 5% on the drag strip and they are
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	225962_419202484794999_1821512148_n2.jpg
Views:	1639
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	10451   Click image for larger version

Name:	229391_419203124794935_1897360799_n.jpg
Views:	461
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	10452  
2010 S1000RR- Ported head by Bsinclair-Austin Racing GP3 full Exhaust - Brentuning flash device - MWR HE Air Filter - BST wheels - Ceramic wheel bearings , 5" stretch, lowered, Brock's Performance clutch mod & heavy spring kit & front strap kit, APE Clutch, -1 front
8.78 sec on 91 pump gas & Conti SportAttack2 tire
YouTube: BMWS1000RRBAHRAIN
1000RR Bahrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:24 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth View Post
Just a word of caution on carbon fibre. It's fine for stuff like body panels but on stressed components like wheels it does age and weaken. I looked at CF in aerospace design some years ago to strengthen some mechanical components but under examination it gradually develops micro cracking and softens in stressed applications.

Racers using carbon wheels don't keep them forever. So I'd always go for forged metal if you're expecting 10 years + life from them.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
I believe this statement is true also for magnesium wheels because magnesium, after a lot of stress and time, can develop internal cracks.They check the magnesium wheels with X-Ray after some time (do not know exactly the time interval).I saw that Marchesini has some magnesium wheels for Road and some for Race.Maybe they reinforce more the Road magnesium wheels...
You will never be arrested #58
DrIoannis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:23 AM   #10 (permalink)
Sponsor/Admin

Garage

Really depends on your intent.

If you're looking for something that has a bling factor, then go w/whichever provides that for your own liking. If you're doing it for track purposes to improve your lap times (tip in, acceleration)... IMO, you are MUCH BETTER off spending the money on good ole fashion seat time (trackdays, private track rental, etc.).
#1 Plate/Champion - 2013 SMRI

SMRI #1, WMRRA #112x, USBA #715, AMA #715

HUGE Thanks to my Race Sponsors!!

Riders Discount**PMtec, Inc**Schuberth Helmets**DUNLOP**DrippinWet**Brentwood Barber Shop**MOTUL**MRRF-Road Racing Forum**Leatt Neck Protection**Knecht Automotive

Motorcycle Racing - Because basketball, baseball, football, and golf only require one ball!
1000RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement