BST Carbon or Marchesini Forged?? - Page 3 - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
Go Back   BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum > General BMW S1000RR Discussions > S1000RR/HP4 Suspension Setup, Tires, and Wheels

» Insurance
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2012, 07:00 PM   #21 (permalink)

Actually the BST weights I got on this same forum in a thread named BST Wheels Yes or no..God Save me.
varunrajg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2012, 08:19 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsons Revenge View Post
But then again, I hate on Carrozerias, so to each his own hate I guess.
Why?

10char
Rush66crp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:36 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunrajg View Post
Hmm...that starts a fresh new confusion for me Thanks for correcting/letting me know though. True I got some numbers off the net as well - just as I am getting some numbers from you now(on the net again)..wish ALL the manufacturers posted their weights and they all followed a standard.

I dont have any tire changing tools at home, so I would need to depend on a mechanic. Besides a small stone chip can weaken CF, while it wont affect AL. Another thing - lets say we hit a deadly pot-hole which puts both wheels to the test of their respective strengths - AL will bend, CF will break, MG will break.
Break is more dangerous than bend(all this is in my mind - may or may not be true).

And I am not a BST hater. Im a big fan of CF && BST even - but knowing myself I will stop the bike and inspect the wheels after I hit every pothole with a magnifying glass if I get BST's. THAT is not worth the money for me - buying suspicion and paranoia for 4grand$.

BST's are obviously NOT for you. Get something else.
Samsons Revenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:39 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunrajg View Post
Actually the BST weights I got on this same forum in a thread named BST Wheels Yes or no..God Save me.
Like I said previously, you got them off the net. Has to be true then. I got them by actually weighing them myself with proof posted. You seem to struggle with the difference.
Samsons Revenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:47 PM   #25 (permalink)

Samsons Revenge - Ok you weighed it. The other info I got on the internet was also weighed by someone and that someone also had proof and that someone also posted on this same forum. To me both of you are "net". No idea why both of your weights are different. Maybe because some ppl post bare wheel weights and others with hub etc. As I said there is no standard to these weighing, and scales can be off/different etc

Anyways, I went for Marchesini Forged AL - Genesi M7R - 7 spoke.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:40 PM   #26 (permalink)

I'd go with RotoBox if I was getting carbon fiber. Cheaper than Marchesini magnesium or BST's.
However, since the majority of my riding is street thrown in with track days I'm buying the Marchesini Genesi 7 Magnesium at the beginning of the year. Just a personal preference and feeling of comfort.
2008 Ducati Desmosidici #187 - Team Colors.
Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:03 AM   #27 (permalink)

Take it for what it's worth:

Blackstone TEK (BST) carbon fiber wheels make BMW S 1000 RR lighter, faster - National Boomer Biker | Examiner.com

Happy

BST wheels who else has broke one.

Sad

My guess is C/F and Mg wheels both have a shelf life and should both be inspected. You can take the $10,000 offer as a vendor trying to hush a known defect, or as someone who doesn't wanna get screwed over by a court system that rewards old ladies for not realizing coffee is hot. Either way, it's the Internet, it's way better to jump to your own conclusion.

To add more confusion to the topic, you can also look at Marvic wheels. Like everyone else, Freddy has his detractors, but I've always liked him and he's always been my go-to guy for Brembo stuff (Yoyodyne).

Or go totally nuts and buy the Dymags with Mg spokes and C/F rim. Best/worst of both in one wheel.

Last edited by Tony216; 11-21-2012 at 07:16 AM. Reason: Insert opinion
Tony216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:09 PM   #28 (permalink)
DBX

Small offtopic: what brand are the BMW wheels? PVM? or housemade? Just got me another set of them for trackdays
DBX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:43 PM   #29 (permalink)

Default BST weights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsons Revenge View Post
Yeah, his numbers are way off. he must have gotten them of the net, lol!

I have actually weighed BST's and knew what they weighed before I even asked him. Thus I waited for his reply before posting the pics.

BST's have a lot of haters. But then again, I hate on Carrozerias, so to each his own hate I guess.
@Samsons Revenge - for your BST rear wheel weight, you dont seem to have included the sprocket carrier on the scale - what is the weight with that. Do ppl typically include/exclude that weight in these comparisions?

So per your scales BST's are 6.1F and 9.3R ?
Old 11-21-2012, 03:48 PM   #30 (permalink)

I have wrecked one 2010 s1000rr with stock wheels, and a seperate 2010
s1000rr with BST CF wheels ..... not my best days!

Both times i lost the front, and low sided.

Both rear wheels were damaged beyond safe repair!

Both front wheels were undamaged .... weird !

I have had no issues with BST's, and have a friend that has three years of HARD riding on the street and on the track, on his gsxr1k with BST's, without any issues !
bmwian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement