Will 2009-2011 wheels fit a 2012? - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
Go Back   BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum > General BMW S1000RR Discussions > S1000RR/HP4 Suspension Setup, Tires, and Wheels

» Insurance
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2012, 11:11 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Will 2009-2011 wheels fit a 2012?

I want to pick up a spare set of wheels for my track rubber, just want to make sure older wheels will fit without issue.
Reject is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2012, 03:07 PM   #2 (permalink)

No problem-they are the same.
gixerconvert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:38 PM   #3 (permalink)

Not so fast, yes they are the same wheels but the wheel was moved a millimeter or two to the right. So you will most likely need to use your spacers from the old wheels. I know because when I fitted a set of Carrozeria's the spacers were off and the rear rotor grinded up rear caliper a little. That's when I found out about the wheel being moved.
2009 Honda CBR1000RR ABS

2010 BMW S1000RR
ABS-DTC-Shift Assist
Fastest Color Motorsport
AMPforE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:45 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMPforE View Post
Not so fast, yes they are the same wheels but the wheel was moved a millimeter or two to the right. So you will most likely need to use your spacers from the old wheels. I know because when I fitted a set of Carrozeria's the spacers were off and the rear rotor grinded up rear caliper a little. That's when I found out about the wheel being moved.
Why,on earth would BMW want to move the wheel off-centre?
There is only one place for a wheel-and that's in the middle!

If you had a problem with aftermarket wheels,I would suggest the problem was not caused by BMW!

OE wheels fit straight in.I haven't measured the spacers but they look the same and the wheels fit straight in,with no problem.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:46 AM   #5 (permalink)

some bikes come with wheels off center to achieve a desired handling characteristic... I can't speak to what affects what but I know I've read about it in a few different books.
Old 11-25-2012, 12:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
DBX

Ive got 12 wheels on my 11 atm. (well I think they are since theyre the black ones).all is fine
DBX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:25 PM   #7 (permalink)

@DBX, if you used your original spacers it would not make a difference.

@gixerconvert, that the way it is. Like it or not, stupid or not, BMW moved the wheel. The aftermarket wheels came with new spacers and the rear was not where it used to be. I was not the first to have this issue. When you call the any aftermarket company that uses different size bearings and different spacers they will ask you what year do you have. I told them 2010

To further complicate things I light crank 2010, an that's the spacers they gave me, only to find out I needed the spacers for a 2011-12.

I lost two track days and $500 over this issue, I know what I am talking about. If you buy OEM wheels, use your current spacers, if you but aftermarket wheels with new spacers pay attention to the rear rotors alignment inside the caliper.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
2009 Honda CBR1000RR ABS

2010 BMW S1000RR
ABS-DTC-Shift Assist
Fastest Color Motorsport

Last edited by AMPforE; 11-25-2012 at 12:36 PM.
AMPforE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:14 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMPforE View Post
@DBX, if you used your original spacers it would not make a difference.

@gixerconvert, that the way it is. Like it or not, stupid or not, BMW moved the wheel. The aftermarket wheels came with new spacers and the rear was not where it used to be. I was not the first to have this issue. When you call the any aftermarket company that uses different size bearings and different spacers they will ask you what year do you have. I told them 2010

To further complicate things I light crank 2010, an that's the spacers they gave me, only to find out I needed the spacers for a 2011-12.

I lost two track days and $500 over this issue, I know what I am talking about. If you buy OEM wheels, use your current spacers, if you but aftermarket wheels with new spacers pay attention to the rear rotors alignment inside the caliper.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

Actually,you do not know what you are talking about!
There is absolutely NO DIFFERENCE between OEM '10/11 wheels and '12 wheels.Also the spacers are exactly the same.
If you had a problem with your Carrozeria wheels then I suggest they were the problem-not BMW altering their motorcycle.

Just for the record,sometime this week I will fit '10 PVM and '10 BST wheels to a 2012 bike.(I don't need to fit the front because I know they will fit)My betting is they will go straight in-and if they don't I will be the first to admit I was wrong.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:19 PM   #9 (permalink)

I would like to update this post. I have a 2011 (Bent rear Rim), and just got a 2012 rear rim. Tried putting on with original 2011 spacers and it would not fit. The rotor would not slide up into the pads.

Had to put the 2012 spacer on, and now everything looks and rides fine. I attached a pic of the two spacers. The one on the right (or top) is the 2012 (smaller).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Spacers.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	31561  
TYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:21 AM   #10 (permalink)

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I have been on this forum for months hoping to actually learn some kind of valuable information about the S1000. Finally, someone posted information with a picture that shows something I might need to know (if I was in the market for spare or new wheels).

Its sooooo refreshing to get some actual facts rather than post after post of opinion with no factual back up.

Dog
meldog21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement