BMW S1000RR Forum banner

Bridgestone S21 Review

47K views 68 replies 35 participants last post by  route246wraith 
#1 · (Edited)
I have been running Bridgestone S20's for years on all my bikes. I use them for commuting, weekend twisty rides and 4 day touring trips. They are good in the dry and in the wet I feel. They get quite good kms and allow me to ride hard with no problems. They hold up well even on hot days when pushed hard. Only melting a little bit.

I just got back from a 4 day trip. This time I had the S21's on. Did about 2500kms over the whole trip. Was fast touring on twisty roads and a few transport sections. Weather was warm but not too hot. I am quite amazed at how much better they are then the 20's. The 21's have so much more grip while leaned over and feel much more stable. Rode in the wet as well and they feel way better than the 20's. It's like a completely different tyre.

I hear a lot from people about the S20's having no feel and feedback and no one has confidence in them. It's all personal preference but the 21's are so much better than the 20's. Would be keen to hear if anyone else has ridden on both 20's and 21's and if you felt any difference.

In before S20 haters derail threads and talk about other tyres :serious:

See less See more
#4 ·
The sharper profile in comparison to its predecessor was clearly evident, tip in was rapid, but the tyre did not exhibit that horrible ‘fall over’ feeling as the crown of the shoulder was transitioned through. Stability was excellent.
The profile change has also led to an increase in pressure on the contact patch as the bike reaches maximum lean angle, resulting in reduced slippage – Bridgestone is claiming a 30 per cent decrease in slippage compared to the S20 Evo along with an 18 per cent performance improvement spread across dry and wet conditions.
In addition to a new shoulder compound on both front and rear tyres, the Battleax S21 has been designed with a smaller crown profile than the Battleax S20 Evo it’s replacing. This has resulted in a larger contact patch during cornering.
They are all quotes from mag tests. For me, I noticed that it feels much more stable when braking and leaning over to the edge of the tyre. Tip in feels the same. Not ultra quick like a super corsa but not slow.

#8 ·
....and your tire life should be a lot better with those correct street pressures as well. :)

#9 ·
Can't comment on longevity, but I'll agree with everything else. Running them on a daytona 675 at the moment and will most likely switch the s1000 over when the michelins wear out. After a few sets of the 20evo I was very happy with the upgrade.

Reactions: Colers
#11 ·
Sets of S21's are on sale now at BikeBandit.com for $215 shipped.
AND there is a $50 rebate from Bridgestone right now.

I bought set to try, at a price point of $165 a set it was a no brainer.

Reactions: bennymx
#12 ·
As much as I hated s20 tire. I have read some good reviews on S21.

I have used 3 sets of Metzeler M7s. Ready to try something new. I just ordered S21s, will see how they go. I hope they work well on the track. But if top racers approved s21 on R1m, I think I'll be fine :laugh:

I just learned s21 has 3 compounds, not 2. And it's based on RS10 race tires. Which I ran for 2 sets. They lasted 1.8k miles each lol

My bike came with 190 Evo20 tire, I bought 200 s21 rear. Based on TC thread, I'll be fine. Anything to worry about? Keep TC settings the same in user/slick mode?

Reactions: Aminovisk
#60 ·
I have been running these for some time. My current set has 7k miles on it and is going strong. I ride my 1krr everyday and love this tire. I switched from the PP3 at the track and the difference was astounding. At Fontana motor speedway I shaved 15 seconds of my normal lap time because of their feel.

#17 ·
I mounted S21 and had a 700mile ride (half on highways half on the twisties).

I like them alot. Very different from crappy s20. I almost like them as much as M7s. They actually grip a little better. I'm only concerned about how long they will last. Looks like I'll get 2500-3000miles on them. I have a track day soon, and I'll put them to the test and report back.

The Bikebandit deal is hard to beat. I had about 40% tread left on my M7 front, but decided to just mount s21 set. S21 rear has 5 compounds from what I read, others say 3. Who cares, too bad rebate only allows one set per customer.

#21 ·
Between s21 and M7. S21 for sure.

Are you referring to K3 racetech RR (around $480 for a set)? If yes. I rode a bike with tire (not mine). Well if you can afford it then go for it. Med in the rear, soft in the front, makes a great setup. Mostly for the track though. Would be a waste on the street.

#35 ·
Does anyone have any experience with the S21s in cold temps yet? Its getting down in the low 50s here in St.Louis now.. These Michelins have got to go! Horrible on cold roads plus almost bald. Every time i barely get on the throttle they spin now. Really starting to appreciate the traction control.. Im really looking at getting a pair of them over the M7rr but just want to make sure they will be sticky enough w quick warm up time on cold roads before i pull the plug. Rebate is nice!

#43 ·
Intense, meaning not babying the brakes and the throttle. When bike is up right it takes a lot to make it lose grip even on cold tires when braking or accelerating. Cold tires are most dangerous when bike is leaned over.

Not all of us ride our bikes like grandmas. Actually in cold weather it's better to give brakes a good bite at the beginning to start getting some heat into them and remove any moisture/water. So they're ready when braking is actually needed. You don't need to be leaned over to warm up tires. OP said he cares about grip in cold weather. This is the method i use when I ride in 30-degree weather. I should have been explicit on being up right and not leaned over though.

Reactions: Aminovisk
#44 · (Edited)
I just have to say WOW!!! These tires are amazing!! Mounted them last night. Bike Bandit got them to me in 2 days mind you.. First ride on them this morning at 33 psi front and 34 rear. I went up to a 200/55 from the 190/55. Was about 55 degrees this morning and the tires made it feel like it was 90.. The turn in everybody was talking about on the front is no joke. I almost ran into a curb that is the first turn from my driveway because i didn't anticipate it turning in that quick. I learned you barely need any counter steering pressure for these tires compared to the Michelin Power Supersports i just came off of. As soon as i got up to cruise speed, on roads i ride continuously, i noticed i cant feel the bumps at all. Its like you cant upset these tires. The supersports would give me so much chatter and headshake from the front end especially when accelerating on these roads. Not these!!! Smooth like i was gliding over the road!! They were so confidence inspiring that as soon as i rode for a good 15 minutes and felt warm i took them up to top speed. Once again it was like i was flying over the surface.. They work so well with this bikes suspension!! Just have to say thanks guys for recommending these tires.. Love them! And now i see the true potential of the s1000rr!!

#45 ·
Finally I get to revisit this thread... So I wasted my Q3's after 3000 or so miles of commuting and a couple of fun rides in the hills. My local BMW shop said they would match prices on the Bridgestone S21's to equal Rocky Mountain's prices, I was heading up there to get my throttle/idle issue looked at anyway so why not right! Rolling out I immediately noticed more grip at the rear tire. My Q3's were getting a little slimy on the gas even at moderate throttle inputs. Turning was a huge improvement over the Dunlops, the bike wants to flick from side to side quicker and with a lot less effort. The front end just feels like it holds a line and makes changes in line worlds better than the Dunlops.

The only negative if you can call it that is I have already noticed I'm running out of chicken strip on the rear. As everyone says, the Q3's must be equal to 200 width tires even though they are labeled as 190's. I'm not a hard rider by any means so I'm probably fine with what I have but you canyon riders may want to run a 200 bun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.