BMW S1000RR Forum banner

Newbie - Removing Wheels

9K views 28 replies 14 participants last post by  HOG SLYR 
#1 ·
I have experience with wrenching on my cars and bicycles. I'm assuming the process is somewhat similar to a bicycle. What tools are the must haves and I tried to look for a post with step by step by I'm on my iPad and no luck.

Thanks.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#2 ·
I'd start by getting your hands on a shop manual. It's not a car or a bicycle but if you have the manual and some wrenching experience you should be good to go. What year is your bike?

#4 ·
There's a whole lot of things that can go really wrong if you mess this up. The owner's manual covers the basics of removing each wheel. If you don't feel comfortable with doing it after reading through the material, you should probably have someone knowledgeable do it the first time while you watch. No offence, but you can mess up the ABS system and many other things, as others have found out.

#7 ·
You really should get the the REPROM from the dealer or from this forum, and you should refer to your owner's manual for torque values.

Whatever you do, do NOT loosen the left side pinch bolts on the front axle. That could be your biggest mistake of the year.

Both:
  • Torque wrenches.
  • Wheel stands.
  • Set of Torx wrenches from T-25 to T-50.
Rear:
  • 34 mm socket for a 1/2" wrench.
  • 10 & 13mm open ended wrenches for the adjusting hex nuts on the stock axle holder.

Front:
  • 13mm socket to remove brake caliper bolts.
  • T-45 socket to loosen RIGHT side axle pinch bolts.
  • 22mm external hex socket for the axle. There are sources that have multiple stepped devices like this (Motorcycle Superstore is one) or the ass end of a 13/16 spark plug socket fits as well.
All these (though crude) are in your tool kit.
Wisdom.....

#6 · (Edited)
You really should get the the REPROM from the dealer or from this forum, and you should refer to your owner's manual for torque values.

Whatever you do, do NOT loosen the left side pinch bolts on the front axle. That could be your biggest mistake of the year.

Both:
  • Torque wrenches.
  • Wheel stands.
  • Set of Torx wrenches from T-25 to T-50.
Rear:
  • 34 mm socket for a 1/2" wrench.
  • 10 & 13mm open ended wrenches for the adjusting hex nuts on the stock axle holder.

Front:
  • 13mm socket to remove brake caliper bolts.
  • T-45 socket to loosen RIGHT side axle pinch bolts.
  • 22mm external hex socket for the axle. There are sources that have multiple stepped devices like this (Motorcycle Superstore is one) or the ass end of a 13/16 spark plug socket fits as well.
All these (though crude) are in your tool kit.

#11 ·
People love to loosen the left side and make the receiving end of the axle get all wonky. Then they torque it all down and surprise, the wheel is not centered and they have ABS/DTC issues due to the wheel speed sensor spacing.

Leave the left side alone. You only need to undo the pinch bolts on the right to remove axle.

#24 ·
Brake side?
You must mean the brake lever or brake pedal Hogman.

There are brakes on both sides on the front of this beast.
And which side the operator is on has a lot to do with which country you are in.

See how easy it is to be confused when your explanation is not complete. :wink2:

Maybe saying while facing the direction the vehicle was designed to move forward in would be better.

Let's leave poor Escape alone. He's from Oregon. Love ya man.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.