Mounting/balancing tires at home - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
Go Back   BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum > General BMW S1000RR Discussions > S1000RR/HP4 Suspension Setup, Tires, and Wheels

» Insurance
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2012, 11:21 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Mounting/balancing tires at home

Do any of you guys have tire machines to change your tires yourself? I have been changing my own tires now for the last 10 years. I also balance my freshly changed tires.

I'm just curious to know who is doing this and what kind of setup do you have?
DB Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2012, 11:38 AM   #2 (permalink)

A long board can easily break the bead. Balancing can be done between two chairs on the wheel's own shaft. All kinds of ways to use caveman style tools on the cheap.
dattaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 11:51 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Karlb

No mar classic (bought before there was a classic back in 2004 or 2005) Marc Parnes Balancer.
Karlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 12:20 PM   #4 (permalink)

NoMar with trailer hitch mount so I can haul it to the track if needed.
Or take it to a buddy's home to change his tires. Takes ZERO space in the garage.
#2 at my dealer, and #1 Acid Green in WA St.
On the street - 2/5/10.

Last edited by Rainman; 02-11-2012 at 12:55 PM.
Rainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 12:50 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlb View Post
No mar classic (bought before there was a classic back in 2004 or 2005) Marc Parnes Balancer.
Im going to have to look into this again. I dont have much if any room in my garage. To make things worse, Im gonna try to get two cars in, a large one and small one... and still squeeze the bike parallel to the door for easy access. Been trying to find a buddy who rides and DOES have room to go halves on a NoMar...but I cant find anyone dammit.
RR Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 12:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainman View Post
NoMar with trailer hitch mount so I can haul it to the track if needed.
Rainman, you wanna do mine for me in about a month?
Rush66crp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 01:03 PM   #7 (permalink)

NoMar classic and balancer, money well spent. I might look into the hitch mount as an option when I go to the track.
crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 01:59 PM   #8 (permalink)

I'm using this one:

Doesn't require much space to store.

For balancing I'm using kind of this:

ManfredH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 04:39 PM   #9 (permalink)

I did my first motorcycle tire change ever late last fall using a long 2x4 (with short 2x4 stub) to break the bead and a basic 3 piece tire tool kit to remove and install the tires. Used a section of pipe run through the axles sitting on my rear motorcycle stand to balance the tires. Tires balanced nicely, no noticable vibration even at speeds above 150 mph. Ended up nicking the back rim a little as the cheap rim protectors I bought wore through. Cut out new rim protectors from plastic orange juice containers.

As it was my first time, there was a fair amount of swearing and frustration involved. Still up in the air whether I do it myself again or take them in to a professional when I mount my K3s for the summer riding and track season. If I had the spare cash I would probably buy a NoMar.

Last edited by M-Coupe99; 02-11-2012 at 04:42 PM.
M-Coupe99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 07:46 PM   #10 (permalink)

If you want to spend $800 or so and have the space, the tire machines for home mechanics are getting pretty darn nice these days, (e.g., the No-Mar) but you can get by for much less and do the same job, just not as quickly. I home-brewed my setup for about $50 using the basic ideas in the treatise below and have mounted hundreds of tires without problem and only slightly more work than some of the fancy machines.... and I don't have a huge piece of heavy equipment cluttering up my limited shop space or that I have to figure out how to secure to the floor.

Guide To Changing Motorcycle Tires

Good tire irons are the most important thing. The 16" Motion-Pro models (x3) are the best I've found. Also good lube - I bought a gallon of RyGlyde a a decade ago and still have half left.

I'm not a fan of the Harbor Freight machines - I don't think they offer enough over the setup above to make it worth the trouble, although some have made them work Okay with modifications to the way the rim attaches to the machine.

Balancing can be home-brewed too (or even done on the bike if your wheel bearings are loose enough), but I bought a dedicated balancer on sale - I think it was $125 or so.

- Mark

Last edited by markjenn; 02-11-2012 at 07:48 PM.
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement