Request Another Eccentric Bolt Question. - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 11:28 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Request Another Eccentric Bolt Question.

I've seen plenty of posts saying to flip the rear eccentric washers..... Right? Right!

I finally got to it about 5 mins ago. I Rode it around the block but for haven't really tested the bike out with the new change.

Here's where I got confused..

Can someone who HASN'T flip them yet take a pic of how the washers are installed via oem/stock. Better yet, someone with a 2016 DDC setup.

Reason why I ask.... I was looking at the thread back and his pics are completely backwards from mine.

Source:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobby_Mike View Post
take this out

and switch it round to this position on both sides

My Washer flipped is what his bike was STOCK. Can someone verify the directions of the "fat" portion of the washers? I bought my bike BRAND NEW so I just want to make sure I'm not going backwards lol.

Did BMW do this on the 2016 "stock"? Or was that guys bike used and the previous owner swapped and he just swapped back to OEM?

To me it would make sense for the Fat part to be down which would be putting the rear end UP right?

2016 BMW S1KRR Motorsport Alpine White non-metallic / Lupin Blue Metallic /Magma Red non-metallic

Servo Mod | Yoshimura R55-LE | Sprint P08 | Yoshimura Fender Eliminator | 55W High And Low 5K DDM HID Kit | DDM 500 Lumen Running LED's | Stompgrip Tank Pads | Puig Smoked Double Bubble | Keiti Red Reflective Wheel Tape

"If you can believe it.... you can achieve it"

Last edited by AlphaKennyBody; 04-23-2017 at 11:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 02:09 AM

I'm going to subscribe to this because i've got a 2011 and i don't have a clue which way those are supposed to be, which is better top or bottom, and what they do to the bike. My 2011 is race only and i've got an Ohlins rear so i have even more reason than street guys (no offence) to want to get this sorted out properly.

Sorry i can't help OP! haha
AlphaKennyBody likes this.

New to the BMW world
Race only

"-I can't afford a drug habit, i race motorcycles."
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 02:44 AM

Garage
Request Another Eccentric Bolt Question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKennyBody View Post

To me it would make sense for the Fat part to be down which would be putting the rear end UP right?

If the hole is higher in the eccentric it means the shock mount is higher and the rear of the bike is LOWER.

So you put it like the first pic to lower the rear and like the second pic to raise the rear.

When you raise the rear you decrease trail - which makes the bike turn quicker but also makes it less stable at speed.

HP4s actually came stock with an eccentric with the hole dead centre.

I think over the years they have raised he rear to make the bikes turn a bit faster, so the 2016 might have the rear raised.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AlphaKennyBody likes this.

2016 X5 xDrive MSport
2014 HP4 Comp #4547
2009 ZX14 - Sold
2009 335i Convertible
2007 ZZR250 - Sold

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 03:40 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz14 View Post
If the hole is higher in the eccentric it means the shock mount is higher and the rear of the bike is LOWER.

So you put it like the first pic to lower the rear and like the second pic to raise the rear.

When you raise the rear you decrease trail - which makes the bike turn quicker but also makes it less stable at speed.

HP4s actually came stock with an eccentric with the hole dead centre.

I think over the years they have raised he rear to make the bikes turn a bit faster, so the 2016 might have the rear raised.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okay so then on a 2016, should I got back to stock/oem "raising" the rear which means the Fat part On top as shown in Pic 2?

Or does that mean on 2016's we should be flipping them to lower the rear? I was going to say The bike felt a little lower which is nice for my short self lol.

2016 BMW S1KRR Motorsport Alpine White non-metallic / Lupin Blue Metallic /Magma Red non-metallic

Servo Mod | Yoshimura R55-LE | Sprint P08 | Yoshimura Fender Eliminator | 55W High And Low 5K DDM HID Kit | DDM 500 Lumen Running LED's | Stompgrip Tank Pads | Puig Smoked Double Bubble | Keiti Red Reflective Wheel Tape

"If you can believe it.... you can achieve it"
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 08:18 AM

The 2016 came in the higher position, the opposite to the earlier bikes. Flip it and then ride it. Which position do you like better?

Last edited by skapan; 04-24-2017 at 08:34 AM.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 04:59 PM

How are you guys supporting the bike to flip the shock eccentric washers?
I used a rear stand on the swing arm spools and I put a rod though the swing arm bolt and on jack stands, but the rod is pretty small diameter because of the SA bolt hole size on the drive chain side (left side). The rod I used was bending so I stopped. Do I just need to get a stronger rod or???
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 05:07 PM
z00

3rd gen bikes with eccentric wash comes with raised rear OEM, flip it to lower it by 5mm.

I used a central stand. If you don't have one, you can always use jacks under each peg. If you have foldable pegs, you can flip them so they don't fold.

Torque is 56nm for rear shock bolt, which is not mentioned in service manual.
Bobby Johnny likes this.

2015 s1000RR
>10K club president.

--------------------------------------------
If you ain't slidin', you ain't ridin'
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 08:48 PM

Strap thrown over a ceiling joist, rear stand to steady the bike.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 09:55 PM

Garage
I have a swingarm pivot stand. It's from Anderson Stands in Australia but I've seen similar ones here.
Left (Clutch) side needs a 10mm diameter straight for 35mm long.
Right (Brake) side needs a 17mm for 8mm then a 13mm diameter stem for a further 25-30mm.
Made from tool steel - could hold up a harley + gang banger rider!

I did rear shock service (new spring) and dog bone bearing service this way.

There are threaded holes in the engine for a special BMW adapter that you can use with a scissor jack.
I made a bracket using 2 shelving angles and a 2x4 and lifted the front with a regular fork stand, put it on my bracket and then it stayed put while I removed the forks and greased the steering bearings. Cost under $15.
If you made one for the rear bolt holes, you could probably hold the bike at the rear.

Last but no least, 2 jack stands on the footpegs - easy if you have fixed peg rearsets, not so sure about stock pegs.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 11:03 PM

put the bike on a rear stand and take a scissor jack under the oil drain bolt. loosen the eccentric bolt and raise the scissor jack till the pressure is off of the bolt, then remove, flip and tighten. the whole event took 6 minutes to do on my '15.
Gogu Steriade likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode