BMW S1000RR Forum banner

K-Techs vs Ohlins

17K views 38 replies 12 participants last post by  Motowerx 
#1 ·
Sooo... I have had an order placed with the closest Ohlins distributor for about 4 weeks. The latest Ohlins FKR 104 cartridges are 3 weeks late. Still no delivery date on the horizon. I could go with last year's racing gas cartridges. @pimpedc6 has them . That combo would be about $1500 cheaper that a K-Tech package. If anyone has first hand experience with K-Tech's I'd like to know if they are really $700-$1500 better than current Ohlins. I know. I know. A shot in the dark. Had to ask. :grin2: Part of the reason I'm asking is this delay is forcing me to ride my street bike for 3-4 track days and preventing me from attending a New Racer School before the first Sonoma AFM race. Not 100% sure I'll be racing. Just trying to keep options open without making compromises in hardware or spending way more than needed. :confused:

#3 ·
. Not 100% sure I'll be racing. Just trying to keep options open without making compromises in hardware or spending way more than needed. :confused:
Here's my take, which is just that, my own personal experience(s).

Knowing what I know now, my vote is, wait for the Ohlins. This has zero to do with whether one brand is better than the other, regardless of price.

I was in hiatus from riding any single track vehicles in anger for over 14 years. When I got back into it, I went whole hog, within 24 months. The hog is dead now. I realized the time away has done more to prohibit my progress, more than ANY stock components. That's why my pseudo trick bits are already living their second life with others who may very well actually benefit from the advantage they can provide. A racer in Washington has the TITAX wheels, and @kruizen (racer in CCS) has the Ohlins. Both of whom got those items for much less than I acquired them.

I was not married WITH young kids before, now I am. I grew a conscience, and whether it is really inhibiting my progress or desire to "flick the switch", I'll never know. I have sooooooo many thoughts while on the track (during simple trackdays) that it inhibits my focus, but most of all, my ambition.

IMO, your still "too new" (based on what you've shared here on the forum) getting back in the circus, to capitalize on the benefits of whatever perceived/factual difference K-tech may have, over Ohlins.

Use the money you would appropriate for the extra expenses of K-TECH, towards additional trackdays/practice.

Pride is a b'tch!!!!
You may not have the same preoccupation as I do, but if this sounds familiar, then this reply was worth writing.
:grin2:

#4 ·
Excellent post pops! And it hit home in many respects. When I stopped racing, I had the same responsibilities you now have. Doing "track days" for fun is a completely foreign concept. I haven't gotten the thrill or the adrenaline rush that I got from racing. :frown2: It's better than riding on the street but it is not the same as racing. :frown2: If I had a goal with "track days" other than to have fun, I suppose it would be to prove to myself I would be just as competitive as I was with current hardware as I was back in the day. Yes, pride is a bitch! Can't prove it is me without proper hardware. And I can go faster than I am now with DDC. Just tying to accelerate the process. ;-)

#7 ·
DDC on 3rd gen is not bad. I do average A group laptimes and DDC starts getting sketchy when I push it. I'm even on DOT tires :grin2:

If you plan to do many track days and take advantage of a better suspension. I say get the best you can afford. That's my approach about any mods or gear.

I was looking at this from Kyle racing:
Ohlins Forks FGRT217 BMW S1000R NEW 30 MM Cartridge design GOLD SPECIAL PRICE | eBay

Look into wilber suspension as well. So we have many options, you definitely need to do the research to see what works best for you. I'm curious about k-techs. Gotta a link to k-techs you're referring to? My tax refund is coming, need to spend it on something 0:)

Reactions: eagle734
#8 ·
You could spend half that and end up at the same place, with FGK replacement cartridges for your ddc forks. Since your doing your own maintenance, no additional installation costs.
>:)

You can call around, and get FGK and BM360 TTX rear as a PKG deal ~$1800/$1900 USD. That's what I paid in 2015, brand new. Whether you can still get that price, is another story. I did have a bit of buying history with that vendor.

Your best price will come from actually talking on the phone with the rep., and your buying history with them.

#12 ·
z00, the link you provided Ohlins Forks FGRT217 BMW S1000R NEW 30 MM Cartridge design GOLD SPECIAL PRICE | eBay says S1000R not RR. Not sure what if any difference there is. Too lazy to check part numbers.

The quote I got for the K-Tech was $3800. Current shock and cartridges. I'm already in for $3400 with the FKR 104s and rear shock including CA sales tax. I too would have preferred complete forks. Not yet available. Why am I keen on getting the latest tech? For lack of a better analogy, it would be like racing a dual shock TZ-250B against the first Monoshock TZ-250C.

And I'm pretty sure @dagor6 trashed the 30mm nix cartridges in one or more posts. At the time, he said the 25mms were superior. At least that is my feeble memories' recollection from 2 year old posts. :laugh:

#26 ·
z00, the link you provided Ohlins Forks FGRT217 BMW S1000R NEW 30 MM Cartridge design GOLD SPECIAL PRICE | eBay says S1000R not RR. Not sure what if any difference there is. Too lazy to check part numbers.

The quote I got for the K-Tech was $3800. Current shock and cartridges. I'm already in for $3400 with the FKR 104s and rear shock including CA sales tax. :
This is a better price I believe:

K-Tech Suspension 35DDS Pro Rear Shock 25SSK RDS or IDS Fork Cartridge Bundle

#13 ·
My memory is hazy too but I think I remember people saying the FGRT fork (Road and Track) stays compliant enough to use on the road, where the cartridges are more "Race" oriented. I had the older cartridges in BMW forks, and all I can say is that they had more stiction than the FGRT forks, but that may have been down to the BMW seals and bushings. For pure race I don't think anything but the latest cartridges could be called the "best". Ohlins or K-Tech, my concern would be having someone local to help tune them in. Lots of other choices, Triple Tuning, Bitubo and even Penske for shocks http://www.s1000rrforum.com/forum/s1000rr-hp4-suspension-setup-mods/5422-bitubo-vs-ohlins.html

#14 · (Edited)
Well let me say this before anything.... I'm not an expert, nor am I trying to convince anyone I have all the answers. I'm too lazy to search notes that may or may not still be in my garage, or that may have fluids spilled on them. What I can tell you, as many members already know, I'm a cheap bastard, but I almost never skimp on quality, when it comes to my toys. It's a toy, and the "disposable household income" is usually quite lean. If I buy it, I can't risk buying something that "could" do what I want, for a lesser price, over a known quality product. I wear many people (experts) out via phone, asking questions before a big purchase. IMO everyone should too.

My understanding - the fgk is cartridge kit, install in OEM forks.
fgr is the entire fork assembly.
One of the differences between them is the titanium nitride coating on the stanchions of the rt. Opinions are widespread, but many I've talked with claim the GenPop will never feel shorted running carts over the rt where the chrome vs. TiNitride is concerned.
The seals, and a few other parts are likely not identical, BUT you can still add that (seals -low stiction Green SKF, and if inclined, coating DLC or TiNitride).
I added the green seals, due to an article by Kevin Cameron some time back explaining in detail how they were truly effective.
The original 30mm NIX cartridge kit wasn't that fantastic for the s1000rr, and at some point they updated it. In fact Ohlins USA (think it was Brad) told me that Aaron Yates preferred the 30mm kit on the s1000rr over the 25mm kit, whereas Steve Rapp his teammate preferred the pressurized 25mm kit.
Grain of salt, and all that....

#15 ·
I should have mentioned for others who aren't familiar with Ohlins product line, FGK and FGR are essentially the entry level upgrade for sportbikes.

They have much more refined, and EXPENSIVE products too. Way more than I could ever justify spending.

#19 · (Edited)
As I'm interested in this subject I decided to read this thread but feel there is an overtone that simply fitting whatever aftermarket suspension for pushing hard at the track is an improvement over the DDC. I'm no expert & also past pushing limits these days but from past experience any suspension upgrade to be an improvement will require more than the initial purchase spec, doesn't matter what manufacturer you chose. You will probably require a suspension tech to make internal adjustments (valving/spring rate) to suit your individual needs & even more adjustments as you start finding limits just like the DDC set up.

Because of this I would lean towards the brand that does the most R&D (nut shell used by the most race teams) & can supply parts when required at the shortest notice, that probably would be Ohlins.

#20 ·
I just got K-Tech shock and internals and rode at the track this week. Felt like they repaved the track. Amazing difference for track. That being said, I'm sure a properly set up Ohlins would be just as good. Mine was set up by Lenny Albin at K-Tech and I installed them. Perfect right off the bat. I'd probably stick with DDC for street for what it provides in mixed conditions.

You need to send your forks out to a K-Tech tuner and give him your spec's (weight, tires you use, type of riding, relative pace). He will make sure the spring is good and will set the damping in the ballpark. Same with the rear shock. He'll tell you where to place the forks in the triples.

Very high probability you will love it immediately.

#21 ·
You need to send your forks out to a K-Tech tuner and give him your spec's (weight, tires you use, type of riding, relative pace). He will make sure the spring is good and will set the damping in the ballpark. Same with the rear shock. He'll tell you where to place the forks in the triples.

Very high probability you will love it immediately.
Would you consider the people at EDR K-Tech tuners? The are a distributor. Glad you love your new suspension! :smile2:

#27 ·
@Dylan Code @wfo439 @pimpedc6 @the_gooch

I spoke to owner at fast bikes industries, race shop specialized in Ohlins (it's next to Ohlins headquarters in NC). Using latest Ohlins pressurized cartridges (just released few weeks ago for 2017), and TTX GP bm360 rear shock. $3400 total (includes installation on my forks). He mentioned if I go with older Nix kit it will be $800 cheaper. Forks will be in stock next week, first batch coming in to NC.

What do you think? The price is similar to k-techs, technology is newer. I'll be getting some race rubber as well.

#32 ·
The newest cartridges are the FKR 104s. It's what will be in the RVP 25 forks that have been advertised in the last 2 issues of RR World. Complete forks are definitely coming for those willing too wait and pay the price. That's what I paid CA tax included. Probably as good as it gets.

Is race rubber better than lamb skin? :laugh:

#29 ·
I would personally get the ohlins setup not because it is better but it is easier to get setup correctly because more racers/tuners use it and most importantly they carry very good resale compared to ktech
That's main reason I'm going with it, plus cannot beat a shop that's only few hours away. Is the price competitive? Not much info about new pressurized cartridges.

#31 ·
I paid 3350 or round abouts for mine. Can't remember exactly. I would say that is a good price

I wouldn't get the full forks because you can't race superstock on them so that hurts resale. The full forks only come with the ohlins nix cartridges and not the gas charged cartridges. The gas charged are much higher performance.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Reactions: z00
#36 ·
I talked to race shop owner and asked about FKRs maintenance. He said if racing, maintenance once a season. If just trackdays/street once every two seasons. That's about $300 plus time to remove forks, mail them, and then reinstall. I'm glad I knew about this now because this is a hassle. Unless I get a 2nd bike. Too bad dealership cannot service Ohlins.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.