BMW S1000RR Forum banner

2017 s1000RR - engine in emergency mode!

17K views 40 replies 15 participants last post by  bennymx 
#1 · (Edited)
Hope everyone's having a good day!

About two months ago, I bought a 2017 S1000RR. White/red with DDC. It's a beast.

Rode it by the manual, 4000rpm for the first 300kms, then 7000 till 700 and 9000 till the first service. All was good.

Around 1600kms, i was at a traffic light bike turned off on me. Thought maybe I accidentally pressed the kill switch and didn't bother.

Then it happened twice after around 2000kms.
Now I'm sure theres something going on here.

Got a good ride and as i got back to the city, cruising at 60, the engine went to emergency operating mode with a solid yellow ! And the screen reads "Engine!". No throttle response. Pulled over, switched it off, on again and it dissappeared. This was around 2400kms.

2500, it started to occur more often (engine error), till it stayed and wouldnt go away. Towed the bike to the dealer and of course it disappeared. Dealer said "there are no codes found, we updated the software, did a computer reset and recalibrated the throttle. All is good". This was last friday.

Didnt have a chance to ride till today. Rode fine for a couple of hours and then it happened again.

I was doing 110, throttle steady then the engine chokes followed by no power or throttle response and the engine error.

Going to tow it tomorrow morning and see what theyll say this time...

Has this happened to anyone before?

Issue was the throttle body. The part took a while to come because they had to order it.
After that they changed it and calibrated it.
Going to ride it for a few days and see how it goes.

See less See more
#5 ·
Not exactly the same, but something similar happened to me. I'm at a traffic light, the bike just turned off. No warning light or anything. 4 months later, see my "did my engine blow up thread", it's still at the dealership. Making me not want to get a 17 either, just my $$ back so I go get a 17 RSV4.

#21 ·
Just to add a little to this...
The model year is inconsequential, if a person buys a NEW leftover (old stock) unit.

For instance, I bought a NEW leftover 2015 KTM in August 2016, right around the time 2017 models were being introduced.
KTM provides 1 year of coverage in USA, I am still covered until mid August 2017.

With 2 years at Aprilia, it's conceivable the guy was still in warranty period, depending on when the bike was acquired, and date of incident, rather than simply relying on model year of the bike.

#22 ·
Didnt have a chance to ride till today. Rode fine for a couple of hours and then it happened again.
I was doing 110, throttle steady then the engine chokes followed by no power or throttle response and the engine error.
There are two potential causes we've seen. One, battery connection. Two, throttle grip damage. Assuming you're bike is stock.
Haven't seen it in AUS yet. But the 2017 US bikes are having throttle issues.
His other post says he's up there with @skapan & @Mina.
@sro mentioned 2 great spots, for this.
Sounds like you and that service department need a permanent time out.

Find another dealership, but check your battery connection, and the posts, to see if one or both might be broken or connection is loose.
What would @bennymx do?

#38 ·
Hope everyone's having a good day!

About two months ago, I bought a 2017 S1000RR. White/red with DDC. It's a beast.

Rode it by the manual, 4000rpm for the first 300kms, then 7000 till 700 and 9000 till the first service. All was good.

Around 1600kms, i was at a traffic light bike turned off on me. Thought maybe I accidentally pressed the kill switch and didn't bother.

Then it happened twice after around 2000kms.
Now I'm sure theres something going on here.

Got a good ride and as i got back to the city, cruising at 60, the engine went to emergency operating mode with a solid yellow ! And the screen reads "Engine!". No throttle response. Pulled over, switched it off, on again and it dissappeared. This was around 2400kms.

2500, it started to occur more often (engine error), till it stayed and wouldnt go away. Towed the bike to the dealer and of course it disappeared. Dealer said "there are no codes found, we updated the software, did a computer reset and recalibrated the throttle. All is good". This was last friday.

____
** UPDATE ** 29/June/2017:

Issue was the throttle body. The part took a while to come because they had to order it.
After that they changed it and calibrated it.
Going to ride it for a few days and see how it goes.
Hi,

I now seem to be experiencing the very same issue. Did the throttle body fix your problem? I took mine into the dealership about 2 weeks ago. They did the software update and rode it for about 15km and it never cut off. I requested that they ride it to over 50km and then it cut off. They recalibrated the throttle adaptive settings and problem was solved for 2 weeks or so. Now im back at the same place we started.

The dealership suggests that we replace the throttle grip sensor unit. I wondered if this fixed your problem?

#39 ·
Hi,

I now seem to be experiencing the very same issue. Did the throttle body fix your problem? I took mine into the dealership about 2 weeks ago. They did the software update and rode it for about 15km and it never cut off. I requested that they ride it to over 50km and then it cut off. They recalibrated the throttle adaptive settings and problem was solved for 2 weeks or so. Now im back at the same place we started.

The dealership suggests that we replace the throttle grip sensor unit. I wondered if this fixed your problem?
Where are you at on this? Trying to figure out the same issue on my buddys 2017

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.