BMW S1000RR Forum banner

Speedo reading

10K views 22 replies 13 participants last post by  Aggelosxr 
#1 ·
So today I set up my phone with a speedo app and I noticed that my bike is off by 5MPH... does anyone know of any way to correct this? I did a google search for speedo healers for a 2016 speedo healer and neither 12oclocklabs (speedodrd) nor speedo healer have an device for the '16 s1000rr. Does anyone have any input on this?

#9 ·
8% for sure on BMW cars, for bikes it might be more like 6%. But it does not matter, point is that there is a fudge factor.

On a bike you don't go the speed limit, always 10-15% faster than traffic regardless of speed limit. Safety first!

#11 ·
Because of tire pressure, tire wear, tire diameter and different wheel options, they always play it safe and go high on the reading. If you put taller tires on the car you'll be closer to indicated speed. If they used GPS for speed then it could be 100%, but how would you get a reading in a tunnel? But officer........

#12 ·
Just use Waze app for maps/directions on the street. It shows speed from GPS, it would be way more accurate than speedometer.

On track I use TrackAddict app, it records many metrics and uses GPS for speed. It was very close to metrics provided by some fancy lap timers my friends use.

#18 ·
You can fix this with NCExpert and NCS Dummy.

By adding your own parameter and value in

Funktion SPEEDO_ADVANCE_YY

standard values is in SPEEDO_ADVANCE_XX and SPEEDO_ADVANCE_YY

at 50,100,150,250 kph

advance is 5,7,8,10 kph or percent (have not tried it my self so dont know if value is KPH or %)

so if your riding at 100kph the speedo adds 7 kph or %

You can not change existing values but you can add a new in SPEEDO_ADVANCE_YY.

Ex. parameter: my_speedo
Data: 0,0,0,0

While your at it add new parameter and value to MAX_DISPSPEED :) :)

#21 ·
ESYS and NCexpert software are some old products that have been used on BMW to allow limited fixing of KOMBI, DME, and ABS modules.

it takes months of practice with these products and you better be practicing on salvaged parts and not your main ride. You can brick the hardware real fast.

If you really want to try. You will need to invest in about $1000 on the low side in Chinese clones, and about $2500 if you want to buy official BMW cables and interface boxes.

#22 · (Edited)
I feel i have to correct some info here.
First of all NCSExpert is part of BMWstandard tools and used to code and program (WinKFP) works 100% on our bikes.
ESYS is next generations to do same as NCSExpert and WinKFP.
NSCExpert is used for pre -15 bikes with the BMSKP.
ESYS is for -15+ bikes with BMSX (K1600 has had it longer)

There is a bit of a learning curv but not more than learning your datalogger. Tons of Guides and info out there.

Software is freely accessible on the innerwebb (google is your friend)

I use these tool on regular basis to align ecus,dashes,abs units and ddc units. For people who build race bikes from salvaged part (not from same bike).

I also use ISTA+ (latest version do programing of F-series cars and BMSX bikes, moved from ISTA-P that is going to discontinued soon) for programming BMSX bikes.

You can use an Enet to usb cable for ESYS. and a INPA serial to usb cable for NCSExpert, WinKFP,ISTA-D,ISTA d ISTA P. Some ABL funktions in ISTA D or + don't work because it asks for KL30 and KL15 voltage from Diagnostic head(ICOM).

Personally i use an ICOM clone bought from ebay for less than 200 bucks, never failed me so far.

I do a lot of flashing to both BMSKP and BMSX but that's another topic, and a bit more expensive tools :)

If you have any questions ask them here, but try and be specific, and i'll try to answer as best i can.

Edit: You can also use a cheap INPA serial to usb cable and a Icom D adaper to use RCK1 and 2. No need to by expensive RCK2 cable :) or make your own cable between the INPA OBD and the bikes Diag plugg with 4 cables. :)

#23 ·
I am trying to connect to a s1000rr 2015-2016 BMSX ecu with esys and receiving connection problem.
Don't have problems connecting with esys on 2017+ bikes with obd connector.
When i am using the 16 to 10 pin connector having the problem.
No problems with ista d on the same bike.connects and program updates everything.
Try also 2015 k50 r1200gs and same problem, but k50 2017 with obd works fine.

Change cable 16 to 10 pin and same error. But don't have problem to work with ista d p and 10 pin cable.
Have spend weeks to find a solution.
Anyone can help?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.