Installing a hardwired power outlet and GPS mount - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
Go Back   BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum > General BMW S1000RR Discussions > S1000RR/HP4 Do-It-Yourself

» Insurance
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2010, 08:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Installing a hardwired power outlet and GPS mount

Couple of days back I did two things on my bike:
1. Installed a GPS mount for my Garmin Nuvi 550
2. Installed two hard wired BMW style (powerlet) power outlets to power accessories like GPS, iPOD, heated clothing, etc.

Lots of people have since asked me how to do this and what are the best ways/recommendations. So here is a write up on how to get this done. Disclaimer- I am not affiliated to Garmin, Powerlet or RAM mount.

Those who choose to use a motorcycle GPS like Garmin Zumo, might not need to purchase the mounting hardware mentioned below. People who are looking to buy a GPS, should consider Garmin Nuvi 550. It is waterproof, works really well on a motorcycle and costs much less than a Zumo.

Tools you need
1. T25 screw driver. You can use a T20 too.
2. Electric Drill
3. 11/16" Hole Saw for BMW style outlet or 1 7/8” hole saw for cigarette lighter.
4. Electrical tape
5. Cable ties
6. Heat shrink tube (about 2 feet)

Mount hardware to buy:
1. Stem mount

2. Socket Arm

3. Diamond plate

4. GPS cradle for Nuvi 500/550. If you wish to use some other GPS, you would need to get a cradle designed for that model.

Electrical components to buy:
1. Low Profile Powerlet Socket Kit (24") or a Powerlet cigarette lighter socket (24”): Both these sockets come with a wiring harness that includes wires, 15A fuse, rubber boot, connectors and cable ties.
2. If you choose to get a Powerlet socket, then you’ll need Mini USB powerlet cable to power your Garmin Nuvi. If you install a cigarette lighter socket, then your existing car charger would work. To power other accessories from a Powerlet socket, look for a compatible cable on the Powerlet cable page.

Power outlet installation instructions
1. Remove the key from the ignition.
2. Remove the side plastic fairing screws using the T20/T25 screw driver. There are about eight screws. After the screws are removed, carefully remove the turn signal wire from its socket.
3. Remove the lower tank plastic fairing screws using the T20/T25 screw driver. There are four screws.
4. Remove the seat using the T20/T25 screw driver. There are two screws.
5. Carefully disconnect the wires connected to the battery.
6. Take the wired fuse from the socket kit and put heat shrink tube around the wire.
7. Keeping the fuse near the battery, run the wire (with the heat shrink tube) behind the frame upto the middle of the side fairing. Pull the end of the wire until there is no excess wire left behind the frame.

8. Use cable ties to secure the wire in place.
9. Attach the wire terminals to the white male T-connector.
10. Use the drill with holesaw to make a hole in the black textured plastic piece of side fairing.
11. Fit the power socket in this hole and put the rubber boot below. The rubber boot prevents short circuits and insulates the socket from engine heat.

12. Put heat shrink tube on the wire and use cable ties to secure the wire in place.

Last edited by shashankmittal; 08-27-2010 at 10:39 AM.
shashankmittal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2010, 08:28 PM   #2 (permalink)

13. Attach the white female T-connector to the wire terminals. Make sure that the red wire in the female T-connector connects to the red wire in the male T-connector (Step 9) and similarly the black wire should connect to the other black wire.
14. Marry the male T-connector (from step 9) and the female T-connector (from step 13).
15. Connect the turn signal wire, put the fairing in place and tighten the screws.

16. Connect the wire terminals from the fuse to the battery, together with the existing cables that were connected to the battery before. The red wire connects to the +ve terminal on the battery and the back wire connects to the –ve terminal on the battery.

17. Secure the fuse in place with cable ties.
18. Put the seat back and tighten the screws.
19. Test your power outlet by connecting your choice of accessory.

GPS mount installation
1. Installation of stem mount for GPS is fairly straightforward. The stem mount comes with detailed installation instructions that are fairly simple to follow.

Old 08-26-2010, 08:29 PM   #3 (permalink)

2. Tightly screw the diamond plate to the GPS cradle.
3. Secure the GPS in the cradle.

4. Mount the GPS using the socket arm on the stem mount.

5. Connect the GPS to the power socket using the mini SB power cable.

The power outlet installed above would provide you the flexibility to power any accessory of your choice - GPS, iPOD, radar, cellphone, heated clothing, etc. Look online for better prices on parts that you need to buy!
Old 08-26-2010, 11:32 PM   #4 (permalink)

Nice job and clean installation.
May I make one suggestion?
I would strongly recommend you use the left fairing trim panel for your Jastek plug for use with heated clothing. Most clothing lets you plug in on the left side of the bike and allows you to dismount and reach the socket more readily.
I would also face the cover so that it pivots forward. This is so that you don't tear it off by pulling the plug back from the socket. It also seals the socket more naturally at speed in the rain (to some extent).
Toynut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 11:54 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toynut View Post
Nice job and clean installation.
May I make one suggestion?
I would strongly recommend you use the left fairing trim panel for your Jastek plug for use with heated clothing. Most clothing lets you plug in on the left side of the bike and allows you to dismount and reach the socket more readily.
Thanks for the suggestion. It seems like you read my mind. The thought of having the power sockets on the left fairing has been haunting me since installation. At that time I overlooked the fact that most heated jacket liners have sockets on left side. I'll probably move these sockets to the left when I get CF fairing to replace the black stock plastic pieces.
Old 08-27-2010, 12:15 AM   #6 (permalink)

This is an amazing write up. Thank you for listing the parts with links as well.
oosnoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 03:03 AM   #7 (permalink)

Very nice writ up and installation.

One nit pick is that the fairing hardware are Torx 25 and not 20s. Other than that, excellent work.
viperclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 06:54 AM   #8 (permalink)

Garage

Thats a great write up, however I have a Zumo 660, have you any ideas as to how to connect this to the powerlet socket, As it is the Zumo power cable ends in 2 bare wires to connect to the terminals of the battery.

TIA
Godzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 08:40 AM   #9 (permalink)

I vote for a sticky on this one... any seconds?
Depths_of_Mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 09:24 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
Thats a great write up, however I have a Zumo 660, have you any ideas as to how to connect this to the powerlet socket, As it is the Zumo power cable ends in 2 bare wires to connect to the terminals of the battery.

TIA
Easily done...
buy some of these (PPL003):
Plugs Sockets Wire & More - Powerlet Products
Make sure you add a strain loop/ knot in the connector, as the wires are quite thin.

One note of caution,
I recommend you unplug your GPS when leaving the bike on a battery tender for long periods of time (If you do not have a relay-switched power socket). I found that you will be continually charging the GPS battery which will greatly shorten the GPS internal battery life or cause corrosion at the GPS to GPS mount connection (particularly on the Zumo).

Found out the hard way.
Toynut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement