Installing a hardwired power outlet and GPS mount - Page 5 - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
Go Back   BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum > General BMW S1000RR Discussions > S1000RR/HP4 Do-It-Yourself

» Insurance
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2012, 02:43 PM   #41 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankoQ View Post
Anyone?
I dont have the pics, but you can easily remove the left side body panel and hide the wire behind it all the way to the front. Left is better since most heated gear has connectors on left.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2012, 03:01 PM   #42 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashankmittal View Post
I dont have the pics, but you can easily remove the left side body panel and hide the wire behind it all the way to the front. Left is better since most heated gear has connectors on left.
Thank you for the response.
FrankoQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:07 AM   #43 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack View Post
Here is where the BMW dealer installed mine.

Reasons he gave was: "It cleared anything I might plug into it from getting hit the handlebars" and "That plastic piece is the cheapest thing on the BMW (maybe $12 ?)."

Mack
Today I installed a Powerlet outlet in the same location -- easy! I bought the Powerlet PKT-042-48 kit. There was about 6" or so slack, but the 36" kit would have been too short. I also bought the short outlet, since I wasn't certain about how much clearance I had behind the panel; fits fine. The one excess part I bought was a right angle rubber boot. My plan was to install the outlet in another location which required the right angle. After tinkering a bit that location would not work, so I went with the one above.

Mack: Did the guy who installed it for you use the Powerlet wiring? It includes a nice fuse holder which has hole to put a bolt through and secure it. I didn't see a convenient bolt, so the fuse holder is 'floating' under the seat. Doesn't seem to be an issue, but perhaps I am overlooking something.
Dr. D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:50 AM   #44 (permalink)

I have a question. All of my accessories utilize a USB-type of connection. What would be the benefit in installing the powerlet-style outlets as opposed to a direct USB connection such as these offered by 3BR Powersports?

http://www.3brpowersports.com/products.htm

Just curious.
9mmkungfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:34 AM   #45 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mmkungfu View Post
I have a question. All of my accessories utilize a USB-type of connection. What would be the benefit in installing the powerlet-style outlets as opposed to a direct USB connection such as these offered by 3BR Powersports?

http://www.3brpowersports.com/products.htm

Just curious.
Powerlet makes the USB harness as well, check out the page: Power Cables - Powerlet Products

The powerlet socket (or commonly referred as BMW style plug) can be used not just with portable electronic accessories, but also with battery chargers (I use Optimate 4 and connect it with my powerlet socket to charge the battery), portable tire inflators, heated gear, etc. Not to mention, these are water resistant too. If you are only looking to charge USB devices, then maybe you don't have to install a powerlet style socket and a USB harness is all you need. Just make sure that whichever harness you buy, it should supply the correct amperage and voltage (most cellphones need 4.75-5.25V @ 950mA-1A). A cheap USB charger can easily brick your device. The quality of cheap USB chargers (or such USB harnesses) is questionable and is a separate discussion altogether. Also keep in mind that every USB charger is different and the same charger cannot be used to charge different USB devices, unless they all require the same charging voltage/amperage.

If I was you, I would install a Powerlet cigarette socket and use a good quality branded car charger to charge the portable electronic devices.

Last edited by shashankmittal; 11-16-2012 at 11:25 AM.
shashankmittal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:21 AM   #46 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashankmittal View Post
Powerlet makes the USB harness as well, check out the page: Power Cables - Powerlet Products

The powerlet socket (or commonly referred as BMW style plug) can be used not just with portable electronic accessories, but also with battery chargers (I use Optimate 4 and connect it with my powerlet socket to charge the battery), portable tire inflators, heated gear, etc. Not to mention, these are water resistant too. If you are only looking to charge USB devices, then maybe you don't have to install a powerlet style socket and a USB harness is all you need. Just make sure that whichever harness you buy, it should supply the correct amperage and voltage (most cellphones need 4.75-5.25V @ 950mA-1A). A cheap USB charger can easily brick your device. The quality of cheap USB chargers (or such USB harnesses) is questionable and is a separate discussion altogether.

If I was you, I would install a Powerlet cigarette socket and use a good quality branded car charger to charge the portable electronic devices.
Thanks for the reply. It seems like the powerlet is far more versatile.
9mmkungfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:28 AM   #47 (permalink)

This is what I ended up doing.

Fuse box, Battery tender, powered tail bag
FrankoQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 03:59 PM   #48 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

I installed a BlueSea Dual USB Charger Socket on my RR in a fairly stealthy location. Installation was straight forward. I use it to power my phone and Contour HD camera, both of which mount via RAM triple tree ball.

Update: Added a power switch and a 5.5mm barrel connector to power a radar detector and various other 12v devices.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	power-port.jpg
Views:	844
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	10633   Click image for larger version

Name:	power-port-updated.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	74809  

Last edited by doubletap; 07-30-2014 at 12:26 AM. Reason: Uploaded updated photo.
doubletap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 05:56 PM   #49 (permalink)

Awesome writeup...Should be sticky'd
BreeZee80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement