I really like the extra luggage space this gives me and decided to post a quick write-up in case it helps someone else as well.
Some of my favorite things about this installation are:
- locks with a key (more on that later)
- tons of space for raingear, extra clothes, food, etc.
- top case is easily removable with the push of a button (you need the key)
- the base is compatible with all other monolock top cases, so I can swap them around different bikes or get a smaller size if I want to
- if I dont need the space and don't want to use the top case I can either ride around without it, or can easily and quickly swap back to my stock seat
-Givi Monolock B47 Blade Tech top box (it includes a base, keys, and some hardware)
- Spare rear seat I bought from a forum member (thanks!)
-A few screws/lock nuts/washers
-A small piece of 1/2 inch plywood (good grade, not the cheapo stuff) for the base
1) Remove the lock from the spare seat, pull out the staples, and peel off the vinyl cover. The center plastic ring can be removed by squeezing the plastic tabs from the inside and pushing it out.
2) Cut out the foam insert and cut the plywood to shape as shown in the picture. I drilled 2 holes through the wood/foam/plastic base and used 2 screws to secure the plywood to the plastic seat base
3) Reattach the vinyl cover and secure it with a staple gun (I bought mine at menards for a prior project)
4) Cut out an opening for the key in the black plastic Monolock base (included with the top case) as shown in the picture below
5) Carefully align the base and drill 4 mounting holes as shown in the picture below, and loosely attach all 4 screws. I used large flat washers on the bottom and the 4 metal diamond shaped washers included with the top case on the top.
6) Position the assembly on the bike, and make final alignment adjustments (it helps to attach the top box to the base at this point), then remove it off the bike, and securely tighten all screws being careful not to move it around.
7) Drill a key hole (I used a 1.5 inch wood drill bit) in the plastic base cover. The bit was just a little too small to easily fit a key through, so I enlarged it slightly by using 60 grit sandpaper.
8) One more thing that I plan on doing but haven't gotten around to yet is modifying the lock so that I can use the ignition key to open it. I haven't been able to find any direct replacement/mod kit, but after taking the thing apart it doesn't look like it'll be too hard to make it work. I bought the barrel/tumbler from a BMW dealer and I'll post something when I have the time to do it.