BMW S1000RR Forum banner

Installation of Givi Top Box (WOOHOO! More storage!)

15K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  dantera333 
#1 · (Edited)
I really like the extra luggage space this gives me and decided to post a quick write-up in case it helps someone else as well.

Some of my favorite things about this installation are:
- waterproof/dustproof
- locks with a key (more on that later)
- tons of space for raingear, extra clothes, food, etc.
- top case is easily removable with the push of a button (you need the key)
- the base is compatible with all other monolock top cases, so I can swap them around different bikes or get a smaller size if I want to
- if I dont need the space and don't want to use the top case I can either ride around without it, or can easily and quickly swap back to my stock seat

You'll need:
-Givi Monolock B47 Blade Tech top box (it includes a base, keys, and some hardware)
- Spare rear seat I bought from a forum member (thanks!)
-A few screws/lock nuts/washers
-A small piece of 1/2 inch plywood (good grade, not the cheapo stuff) for the base

1) Remove the lock from the spare seat, pull out the staples, and peel off the vinyl cover. The center plastic ring can be removed by squeezing the plastic tabs from the inside and pushing it out.
2) Cut out the foam insert and cut the plywood to shape as shown in the picture. I drilled 2 holes through the wood/foam/plastic base and used 2 screws to secure the plywood to the plastic seat base

3) Reattach the vinyl cover and secure it with a staple gun (I bought mine at menards for a prior project)
4) Cut out an opening for the key in the black plastic Monolock base (included with the top case) as shown in the picture below
5) Carefully align the base and drill 4 mounting holes as shown in the picture below, and loosely attach all 4 screws. I used large flat washers on the bottom and the 4 metal diamond shaped washers included with the top case on the top.
Automotive lighting Nonbuilding structure Metal

6) Position the assembly on the bike, and make final alignment adjustments (it helps to attach the top box to the base at this point), then remove it off the bike, and securely tighten all screws being careful not to move it around.
7) Drill a key hole (I used a 1.5 inch wood drill bit) in the plastic base cover. The bit was just a little too small to easily fit a key through, so I enlarged it slightly by using 60 grit sandpaper.
Vehicle Yellow Model car Car

Motor vehicle Vehicle Yellow Scooter Automotive exterior

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Motorcycle fairing

8) One more thing that I plan on doing but haven't gotten around to yet is modifying the lock so that I can use the ignition key to open it. I haven't been able to find any direct replacement/mod kit, but after taking the thing apart it doesn't look like it'll be too hard to make it work. I bought the barrel/tumbler from a BMW dealer and I'll post something when I have the time to do it.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
Another Option

A good friend asked if I could build a mount for his two Givi cases. I came up with an elegant solution that offers a solid mechanical mount that does not leave any visible clue once removed.

Stainless steel construction.

Easily installed by anyone with a a few simple tools. Once installed removable with a Allen wrench and stock seat or cowl is replaced normally.

Attachments

#9 ·
A good friend asked if I could build a mount for his two Givi cases. I came up with an elegant solution that offers a solid mechanical mount that does not leave any visible clue once removed.

Stainless steel construction.

Easily installed by anyone with a a few simple tools. Once installed removable with a Allen wrench and stock seat or cowl is replaced normally.
Thanks for sharing, that looks nice and solid but...

-How do you keep water out of the inside of the tail section when it rains?
-What do you do when about the exposed inside of the tail section when you want to bring your case inside while on a roadtrip?

BTW, i found a way to modify the lock to use the stock ignition keys. Let me know if someone's interested and i'll post a writeup w/ some pics...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.