Installing Ohlins Damper - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
Go Back   BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum > General BMW S1000RR Discussions > S1000RR/HP4 Do-It-Yourself

» Insurance
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2012, 01:13 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Installing Ohlins Damper

Hi all,

I'm surprized this hasn't been documented yet.

I happened to have taken the front fairings completely off to install some HIDs and the Ohlins damper so I thought I would document the install with pictures. It's pretty dead easy, but maybe this helps somebody else.

Here is the box - it's an Ohlins SD033 which has a 18 click damper setting range from almost nothing to crazy stiff.

Here are the contents of the box. The damper, a sack of nuts and bolts, a sliding clamp, some stickers, and a couple of instruction manuals.

Here is a comparison of the size of the OEM unit on top and the Ohlins SD033 on the bottom.

Here is the OEM unit and the tools you will need to remove it.

Here is the Ohlins and the tools you will need to install it.

#2 at my dealer, and #1 Acid Green in WA St.
On the street - 2/5/10.
Rainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2012, 11:06 AM   #2 (permalink)

FYI, here is how the OEM damper looks on the bike after the front fairing is off.

You don't have to take the front fairing off, but this shows the front air deflector that does have to come off to reach the main bolt in the center of the tree. You need a T-25 Torx screwdriver to remove the two screws from underneath.

Here is the bolt hole in the frame that is left when you remove the T-40 bolt from the center of the damper.

And here is the mounting hole left in the left side fork after removing the damper.

On the street - 2/5/10.

Last edited by Rainman; 02-20-2012 at 11:19 AM.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:17 AM   #3 (permalink)

Use some thread lock and then loosely mount the two new bolts back onto the mounting holes. Also, put some thread lock on the two small bolts on the bracket as shown. You don't want to tighten them up until the main bracket bolt and piston bolts are tightened so you can make sure it is centered on the damper correctly.

Tighten the main assembly bolt and the piston arm bolts to 19nm.
Tighten the two small bracket bolts to 6nm.

Here is the damper all bolted up tight.

On the street - 2/5/10.
Old 02-20-2012, 03:13 PM   #4 (permalink)

Garage

Thanks nice write up, any idea what the comparable setting would be on the Ohilms damper to the factory stock unit. # setting ?
Loomis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 04:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loomis View Post
Thanks nice write up, any idea what the comparable setting would be on the Ohilms damper to the factory stock unit. # setting ?
I would say about click #2, have mine set at #12.
Btw here in Sweden it costs equivalent to 500$ go figure!
//Micke
Micke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 05:10 PM   #6 (permalink)

Great write up Rainman! I'm thinking about doing this mod myself before the track day season begins as it will be nice to have a properly functioning damper in place when I'm flying over the rise on the back straight at Pacific Raceways. The stock damper allows too much movement for me when the front tire comes down in those situations.

Where did you buy it?
Old 02-20-2012, 05:35 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loomis View Post
Thanks Loomis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micke View Post
I would say about click #2, have mine set at #12.
Btw here in Sweden it costs equivalent to 500$ go figure!
//Micke
I agree with Micke. I played with them both while off the bike and while on, and I think the OEM is the equivalent of a 2 to 4 tops. No more. I studied what some other posters have said and I've set mine to 8 to begin with for the street. It's cold and wet here so no miles on it yet while I finish some other projects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Coupe99 View Post
Great write up Rainman! I'm thinking about doing this mod myself before the track day season begins as it will be nice to have a properly functioning damper in place when I'm flying over the rise on the back straight at Pacific Raceways. The stock damper allows too much movement for me when the front tire comes down in those situations.

Where did you buy it?
Hey John, some of my same feeling. I'd like to feel more comfortable when I drop the front. I'm not too good at it yet and my own inputs get off center occasionally, and I'd like some resistance to snapping the handlebars before trouble has a chance to start.

I found the best door-to-door price at Dan Kyle's e-bay store. Service was real quick.
On the street - 2/5/10.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:17 PM   #8 (permalink)

Garage

Thanks Guys, The OEM damper is ok for Street, Im going to replace it. I did some past tracksdays with CS superbike school and have a few more coming up in June. On the track pushing the bike the front end it very loose and got some head shake. From the past threads I'm thinking around 7 or 8 on the setting like Rain Said on the Street. For the Trackdays I'll have to make some adjustments in the higher range.
Loomis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:10 PM   #9 (permalink)

I already put mine on a while ago but nice write up and pics!
I'm sure it'll be helpful.
After putting mine on I went out and wheelied while leaned over and set it down crossed up on purpose over and over until I found the right setting #8 IIRC.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:21 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage

Very nice, great write up.

Thank you,

Triple
Triple Threat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement