BMW S1000RR Forum banner

BMW Tank & Tail Bags

66K views 122 replies 42 participants last post by  tiger37373 
#1 ·
Hey Guys, Happy Father's Day.

There have been a number of threads about the BMW tail and tank bags and even more questions from those who don't have them and want pictures of them. So that is what this is about.

I've got both. This next week my local BMW dealer (Ride West) has a multiple day ride planned to Lolo Pass on the Idaho/Montana border, and I'm taking "Phlegm". It's a terrific ride I've done a couple of time before on bigger bikes, but a 120-140 mile gas tank is cutting it scary close on fuel for this pass. By my calculation, is it's 148 miles between gas stations :eek:, and I don't plan on riding it for good gas milage. :D All in all my brother and I will be on the road 4 days and roughly 1,200 miles, riding from Seattle to Pendleton, OR. Then Pendelton to Clarkston, WA via Hell's Canyon. We'll meet up with the RW group of 37 at Clarkston, then ride the pass to Missoula, MT and back Saturday, then ride back home Sunday. So that's my excuse for for adding tank and tail bags - multi-day trips like this.

I've had the tail bag for some time, but haven't used it yet really for fear of scratching the tail all up. I've been waiting for some 3M Paint Protection film to put on the tail pieces like others have warned about. I'll use the duct tape and painter's tape until my order comes in.

Here are a couple of left and right side views of the tank and tail bags on "Phlegm".

The tank bag comes with the metal plate shown below. It also comes with a friking 40-page manual in every language under the sun, two spacers to put under the rear screws, and a nylon strap with click lock for the front of the bag. It also comes with some velcro to keep the front strap from flying around when the bag isn't mounted (like in the picture below.

The two spacers work OK to keep the metal bracket off the paint in the rear, but I had to go to the hardware store to pick up some nylon washers to keep the tops of those screws from digging into the bracket. The front mount comes with some protective film on the back of the vertical piece, but I don't like how close it is. I will probably but more tape up there as well. The manual says to put two washers between the nylon strap in front, but they didn't include those, so I had to pick up some SS washers at the hardware store as well. Why couldn't they have included those?

Anyway, here is the bottom of the tank bag. Compare it to the picture above and you can see that there are two metal hooks that slip into the elongated rectangular holes in the plate, and there are three rubber buttoms in the front that fit into the holes in the brackets. You clip the strap in the front and it is very stable.

See less See more
#88 ·
might be leak in it? I rode about 200 miles slabbing it through some torrential rain, and the map/phone part got foggy but other than that, the main compartment was dry, as well as my tailbag. If only the tail bag would stay put!!

#91 ·
Well Im off to Austria, Italy, Germany and Slovenia etc on Saturday with my tank bag and 33ltr top box for 10 days. Ill post some pics hopefuly if you want?

What I wanted to know was does the tank bag DEFINATELY leak in the wet? Even with the inner bag drawstrings tight shut?

Thanks.

#92 ·
in my experience, ALL the bag materials are permeable to water, including the inner bag. however, they are all water resistant. they made a big mistake calling it waterproof, as that implys something, which it is not.
i had a friend of mine make a vinyl cover for me which i throw on if it starts raining.

#95 ·
We didn't ride much through Austria this time, just through it to get to Italy. We went through the Fernpass and thats about it.

Member Wobbly knows more about good areas in Austria right now until I can spend some more time down there.

Haven't had any water in the bag issues yet and with as much as it rains here I thought I would. I'm very pleased with the bag so far!

#96 ·
Forgot to mention....

There has been an update to the tailbag for whatever reason. Not sure if they are using different materials because people have been complaining about it getting wet inside?/

When I went to order my bag from the dealer they had 2 part numbers. The first number they looked at was no longer made but, the other came in within 2 days. Looking at the older and newer one it doesnt look like much of a difference, only thing I really noticed was the carry strap on top of the new part number has reflective "BMW Motorrad" Printed on it where the old one does not. Again unsure if they had done anything more about the waterproofing. Good Luck and have fun on your trip, it's beautiful down there!

#99 ·
Based on some posts I saw on this board, I purchased the Wunderlich tank bag for my 2013 HP4 Standard and have been very happy with it. I wish it was just a little bigger. I never liked the way the BMW tailbag looked or fit.

Lately I have the bug to take this bike on an overnight trip over NM Highway 152 and AZ 191, both epic twisties. I looked at the Nelson Rigg CL-106-S and the Cycle Guys Fastpack size 5 tail bags and purchased the Cycle Guys. I considered them over the Kriega due to cost and a more customized fit. When the Cycle Guys Fastpack came, I thought it was great, but it was a little too small for what I needed. If I didn't already have the Wunderlich tank bag, I probably would have kept it for day trips. Cycle Guys have been great to work with and have a generous return policy.

I am totally enamored with the Kriega US 20. The HP4 luggage straps factory installed under the pillion seat are perfect. I had some concerns with rubbing and the metal hooks, but as you can see from the pics, it all fits great. The other good thing about Kriega is that is it modular and you can add components as needed. I can also use it on R bike that I normally tour on.

Can't wait to hit the highway!

#108 ·
In case you weren't aware. Hepco Becker has new bags to fit the new s1000rr's, called the royster. They are pretty nice. We just added them to both bikes.

2016 S1000RR luggage hepco becker vid
Hey Tiger, where did you get that metal plate where the passenger seat is? I was going to make something like that, but if someone sells it that's even better.

PM me please.

Thanks! :)

#110 ·
Here's the link for that plate:
Hepco & Becker Sportrack for BMW S1000RR '16-

This will be the PERFECT starting point for the rack I want to build. Saves me from having to build my own from scratch, and now it's just a matter of attaching to it. I plan on having my rack attach to this with maybe 4-6 screws so I can easily either use my large aluminum panniers by bolting my rack to this, or just using this for a small bag for shorter trips. Nice!

Thanks tiger! :)

Reactions: Torchsport
#112 ·
Shouldn't be any reason that rack won't fit a 2015, is there? My current tail bag (see a few posts above) attaches with straps under the seat and it works, but I've never got it perfectly straight and this seems like a much better option, just significantly more expensive..

#113 ·
I plan on making a rack to mount to that passenger seat tail plate, where you can mount SW-Motech 36L panniers. The rack would simply bolt onto that modified plate. The advantage would be that it would leave no bracketry behind. Would anyone else be interested in something like that?

Here's my "Home Depot" prototype I put over 10,500 miles on, some at over 120mph, with no issues.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.