BMW S1000RR Forum banner

Need Help for the Installation of HP rearsets.

8K views 26 replies 6 participants last post by  bennymx 
#1 ·
I've just installed the HP rearsets to my 2016 last night but I couldn't find where this black plastic piece belongs to. It's for the right (brake) side and installation seems fine and rigid without it but i'm worried to ride the bike before figuring out where does it belong to. There is no installation guide only a guide related with the adjuatments came with the rearsets.

I'll really appreciate your help. Thanks.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Hmm, I have those on mine, but I don't recall that piece.
Is it not in any diagram in the colossal install book that comes with it?

Actually, maybe I am recalling a piece like that, but I think it had to do with the shift lever mounting. I want to say it goes inside the shift lever, and the bolt passes through it and the long silver spacer, but the silver spacer doesn't sit flat without that inside. Something was in there like that though that I recall.

I checked the install book and don't see it, but I think it's the bushing for inside the shift lever itself.
Look at the shifter here in this pic on the forum, I think it's the black bushing you can see in the Shift lever

#4 ·
Thanks but I've found it in the box of brake lever. Also in the video above it seems like the piece of the brake side. Manual doesn't include any installation tips or part list unfortunately it only includes adjustment instructions :(

Looks like damper for the muffler mount but shouldn't need it. Use the one from original rearsets.

Found this video and don't see that part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y06Vqvsuom4&t=478s
It can be seen on the video in its plastic bag laying on the floor beside carbon fiber heel plate :) But this guy also didn't mention it probably he couldn't find a place to install it :) Thanks for the video by the way. I think I need to find an installation guide :(

#5 ·
fwiw, I found my book that came with it, it seems to be all about adjustments, I don't see any installation info.
I was able to install them with out needing anything, make sure your shift lever isn't wobbly, and use loctite.
Most difficult part is getting the brake actuator connected, which is not all that bad either.
Minus all the confusing adjustment possibilities, it's only a few bolts to connect.
It might seem daunting, but it's a 20 minute job to install.

#9 · (Edited)
You do not need that spacer UNLESS you remove the stock muffler mounting bracket. That spacer replaces the short bracket the muffler can mounts to. For example if you had a long can that had an exhaust hanger bracket off the rear foot peg you would not need the short bracket for the muffler... :grin2:

Hope that makes sense, it's a spacer, it's NOT plastic its aluminum. It fills the space if you remove the short bracket for the stock muffler mounting point.

#13 · (Edited)
Well, that does make sense when I look at it, but what the heck is up with my shifter then, guess I'll take it apart and see if
there's another way to address the wobble without that piece there.

Edit: looking at the pic above, I never received a "shouldered bushing" with mine, wrassin frassin crap...
Why couldn't they have included that one diagram with the 10 language book they sent, ugh.

The rearsets come pretty much assembled, I never saw the bushing on the brake side as it was already all together from the factory

Update: Welp, based on an post I found earlier from Benny, basically stating to contact Gilles for parts, that's what I've done.
At least I realize mine is wrong now, and will sit a centimeter closer in it appears once I get that spacer out, doh.

#22 ·
Thank you very much for providing that, I didn't try BMW though, but had emailed Gilles Tooling in Germany, and they sent my info to Shift-Tech, their US distributor.
Problem is in finding the part number for it. Shift-Tech guy is being very helpful and responsive, so I think I can get this through them. I'll do the washer just short
term then, as that part is more substantial than I though.

Major thanks again for making the effort to go through all of that and then taking the pics with the caliper.
I would have just stuck with the washer(s) had you not provided all of that, so it's very appreciated!

#24 ·
Shift-Techs latest relayed response from Gilles is to again, choose the part number, from the pdf files provided, that have no part number...
@bennymx, really hate to trouble you over this, anyway you are able to look this part number, would it be in the BMW system?
It's the previously discussed shouldered bushing that installs on the shift lever bolt? (not the spacer for removing the exhaust mount)

Major thanks in advance,
L8Apex

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.