Paint Defect - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 09:39 PM Thread Starter

Paint Defect

Hey Guys,

So my mechanic just completed the annual service on my bike and whilst the bike was being washed he noticed a small blemish in the paint on the RHS inner fairing. I went & picked up the bike and managed to easily peel quite a large amount of paint with not even a small amount of residue being left behind.

So I took the bike straight up to my nearest BMW dealer & they're puzzled as to what would have caused the issue. Waiting on hearing back about getting both side inner fairings replaced. Anybody had similar issues with paint? I've searched but can't find anyone with the exact issue I seem to have.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6328.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	162369  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 10:07 PM
Elk

This appears to be a manufacturing defect occasioned by poor surface preparation and/or contamination.

'15 S1000RR
'10 Ducati Streetfighter S
'07 Ducati 1098S Tricolore
'05 Ducati 999
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 10:37 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk View Post
This appears to be a manufacturing defect occasioned by poor surface preparation and/or contamination.
bennymx likes this.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaytan View Post
Hey Guys,

So my mechanic just completed the annual service on my bike and whilst the bike was being washed he noticed a small blemish in the paint on the RHS inner fairing. I went & picked up the bike and managed to easily peel quite a large amount of paint with not even a small amount of residue being left behind.

So I took the bike straight up to my nearest BMW dealer & they're puzzled as to what would have caused the issue. Waiting on hearing back about getting both side inner fairings replaced. Anybody had similar issues with paint? I've searched but can't find anyone with the exact issue I seem to have.
You say " annual service " as in one year of ownership?

How many miles you have?

the reason I ask this, I had 1.5 years of ownership and 10k miles. My clear coat peeled off the front fender, and the upper fairing cowl. Dealer told me clear coat was not covered on warranty unless the defect was within the first 1000 miles. I got no new parts on that one.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 11:34 PM

That's really bad. How do you wash the bike? Any chemicals used? High pressure washer? That will be warranty for sure.
Colers likes this.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 10:32 AM

Garage
You're not alone. The paint job on this bike is pretty poor compared to my Kawasaki and previous Suzuki. Actually I think this is the poorest job I have ever seen from any manufacturer.

I took the left fairing off for an oil change and noticed the paint pealing from an edge near where you would put the frame slider. It is a little flap, but still stuck on there pretty solid. I just left it but I know a rag will catch it eventually.

Then I lowsided on the right side a few months ago and took the fairing off to repaint. There was yet another spot where paint was pealing, not related to the lowside. It was in the upper "scoop" area where the fairing meets the nose.

1 mid-fairing..unfortunate, but both??
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 12:34 PM

All the result of "environmentally friendly" water based paint. BMW really should spend the extra few dollars and add a clearcoat to the solid colours like they do to the metallics. And a little shot with the pressure washer will do this - but it can do the same to cars too. I agree this should be covered under warranty. If not, I have a set of bronze coloured tank sides from my R if you want to repaint them properly instead of shelling out for more of the same.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 01:12 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_388 View Post
You say " annual service " as in one year of ownership?

How many miles you have?

the reason I ask this, I had 1.5 years of ownership and 10k miles. My clear coat peeled off the front fender, and the upper fairing cowl. Dealer told me clear coat was not covered on warranty unless the defect was within the first 1000 miles. I got no new parts on that one.

This has me flabbergasted. Granted I haven't read the warranty coverage paragraph by paragraph, but as an ex-BMW (auto) US service manager, this is something that would have required manufacturer authorization, but would have been covered. Does the motorcycle warranty specifically exclude paint? The criteria used to be "defect in material or workmanship".

Who put these fingerprints upon my imagination?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 03:14 PM

Its warranty. Unacceptable.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 03:53 PM
Elk

The MY 2015 warranty provides:

"The following items are war-
ranted for defects in material and
workmanship only for the first
12 months:

Paint and powder coat finishes
Chrome"

(bulbs, 6 months; battery, 24)

I suspect other years are the same.

'15 S1000RR
'10 Ducati Streetfighter S
'07 Ducati 1098S Tricolore
'05 Ducati 999
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode