S1kRR Tail Bag - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
Go Back   BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum > General BMW S1000RR Discussions > S1000RR/HP4 Appearance

» Insurance
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2010, 11:54 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default S1kRR Tail Bag

Just picked one up last night.

Is this model and such

Luggage - Tailbag - S1000RR - by BMW Motorcycles - - A&S BMW Motorcycle Parts and Accessories

I will say, it is beefy. It does not hold as much as you would think it would, BUT when strapped in, seems solid and not wanting to budge. The bag fits PERFECTLY over the Pillion seat (is a mixed hard/soft bag).

So far, I am happy with the purchase, but it DOES making getting on the scoot a bit interesting
Depths_of_Mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2010, 07:28 PM   #2 (permalink)

Nice looking bag but man that's pretty expensive!

If anyone needs a cheaper option, check out our Kriega packs: Kriega

I'm still adding some of the catalog so be sure to check back.
Old 05-01-2010, 10:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

Garage

I like the tailbag very much, and although the bike doesn't look as racy with it strapped on, I'm sure the bike is still as fast! Since the passenger pegs were the first thing to be taken off the bike, the useful addition of the tailbag made perfect sense. The bag seems almost glued to the rear seat, the fit is so good and the stiff rubber of the bag bottom stays nicely in place. I'd prefer to pay the $200 for a functional item rather than around $400+ for the seat replacement cover. When riding in Michigan, especially this time of year, it's always wise to bring along the rain jacket! Yes, 'mounting the scoot' is a little different with the bag in place, but bringing your knee to the edge of the seat, and then bending your knee to keep your lower leg vertical as it passes in front of the bag works with little effort.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20100429_1041.jpg
Views:	3776
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	1732  
Used2be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 01:56 AM   #4 (permalink)

The instruction say it's only rated to 137mph.

KeS
kevin_stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 09:15 AM   #5 (permalink)

Heh.. if ya wanna get TECHNICAL... the roads in the U.S. only go up to a 75 mph limit.. LOL... But U2B is right, it is rock solid and is perfectly molded and follows the lines. Mounting the bike IS a bit interesting, but and easily overcome obstical.

A little spendy, true... but it does not feel/look function cheaply at all.
Depths_of_Mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 12:08 PM   #6 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin_stevens View Post
The instruction say it's only rated to 137mph.

KeS
After extensive wind tunnel testing I've found that the tailbag improves the bike aerodynamics so remarkably that my top speed is now well over 200mph!! Just as the back hump improves rider aero, this well kept secret from BMW is just waiting for homologation into WSBK, and I think you'll see it on Corser's bike in the next round!
Old 05-21-2010, 04:51 AM   #7 (permalink)

Default tail bag

looks good, my bike arrives two weeks today and Im trying to decide whether to buy the R30 Kriega backpack or the tail bag, similar pricing..I just have concerns the bag damaging the plastics, whats your thoughts seein it fitted to the bike?

ALso the frame protectors in the photo look subtle as...they are the best ones Ive seen. Are these yoshi, I was set on Gilles but these look smaller, were any fairing mod's required? any help be much appreciated. cheers
diesel30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 09:20 AM   #8 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel30 View Post
looks good, my bike arrives two weeks today and Im trying to decide whether to buy the R30 Kriega backpack or the tail bag, similar pricing..I just have concerns the bag damaging the plastics, whats your thoughts seein it fitted to the bike?

ALso the frame protectors in the photo look subtle as...they are the best ones Ive seen. Are these yoshi, I was set on Gilles but these look smaller, were any fairing mod's required? any help be much appreciated. cheers
I will probably get one of the Kriega bags also, they look like a very well built backpack. When I do, I want to make sure that it is high enough on my back so it won't hit the tailbag if I'm using them both. The tailbag hasn't left any marks on the plastic so far, and I have kept the useless passenger seat to better conform to the shape of the tailbag. I think the seat helps keep the tailbag in place and more off the plastic.

I like Woodcraft products and have his rearsets, case covers, and frame sliders. Since the sliders are designed to stay as close to the frame as possible, the right side does need some slight radii cut into one of the slots as you can see in this picture. Pretty easy to do and not all that noticeable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rightside.jpg
Views:	520
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	2088  
Old 05-21-2010, 11:42 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel30 View Post
I'd put some protective tape where the strap goes under the undertail, but other than that, I don't think there is any issue.

Most motorcycle backpacks are engineered to somewhat rest on the seat/tail and to ride fairly low. I doubt anything other than a very small backpack would work very well with the BMW tail pack.

I'd get both as there are times when the backpack is more convenient and versatile (shorter jaunts, less weight) and times when you want the tail pack (touring, more weight). I have both the tail pack and tank bag and although you have to pack very light, you can turn the machine into a very sporty sport-tourer.

- Mark

Last edited by markjenn; 05-21-2010 at 01:08 PM.
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 11:58 AM   #10 (permalink)

I actually picked up a joe rocket (yeah, i know... ) manta tail bag

Joe Rocket Manta Tail Bag :: New Enough

seems to work just fine. the straps fit the seat perfectly, and you can still access the key hole by pulling up the back side of the pack.

Pinoy, and proud of it!

Stapp's Law: The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle.
shadowcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement