Carbon Fiber - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
Go Back   BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum > General BMW S1000RR Discussions > S1000RR/HP4 Appearance

» Insurance
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2012, 01:14 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Carbon Fiber

Hey everybody,

I'm thinking of going for some carbon fiber frame covers from either Bestem or Tekarbon and was looking for some opinions/how people were installing them.

Also, I think I'm going for the tank cover as well. Here's the link:

BMW S1000RR CARBON FIBER FUEL GAS TANK COVER FAIRING | eBay

I know neither of them is the top of the line product, but I'm trying to save a bit of green seeing that I'll be getting rear sets, and an exhaust soon.

If anybody has red flags on these, let me know.
NikyP00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2012, 01:18 AM   #2 (permalink)

i recommend using SSR racing in the bay area, CA, USA.
check ou the link to a few pictures of the Carbon fiber they make.
My Photo Gallery - nickfunk Gallery
the wheels are Black Stone Tech. (BST), not SSR racing.
since i opted for motorrad color scheme, i only replaced all the black plastic with carbon fiber (other than top tank cover, also was replaced with carbon fiber.)
it really depends on your price or how much you can spend.
carbon fiber is pretty similar cost for size or complexity of shape, so the more quality will be a little more expensive.
stay away from BMW HP products, unles you like to get ripped off.
nickfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:20 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the heads up man.

-- Oliver Wendell Holmes

2012 Black S1000RR 'Herbert'
NikyP00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 06:35 AM   #4 (permalink)

In general, be careful about how you use CF. The intended purpose of CF is to replace things in order to shave weight.

Adding CF all over the bike not only defeats the purpose, but can look cheesy and poserish if overdone...especially on a street-only bike.

In other words, CF wheels, engine covers, bodywork, exhaust etc = perfect.

The CF trinkets"" and accessories some people add all over the bike just end up in the bike looking like that old truck you see decked out with 425 accessories from Autozone.

Of course this is just my opinion, it is your bike.
WERA Expert #2
Sportbike Track Time Southern Region/Speed Academy Instructor
Chaotic Racing
Sponsors: SportBike Track Gear - DiSalvo Speed Academy - KNOX - Bell Helmets
Chaotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 11:46 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickfunk View Post
i recommend using SSR racing in the bay area, CA, USA.
check ou the link to a few pictures of the Carbon fiber they make.
My Photo Gallery - nickfunk Gallery
the wheels are Black Stone Tech. (BST), not SSR racing.
since i opted for motorrad color scheme, i only replaced all the black plastic with carbon fiber (other than top tank cover, also was replaced with carbon fiber.)
it really depends on your price or how much you can spend.
carbon fiber is pretty similar cost for size or complexity of shape, so the more quality will be a little more expensive.
stay away from BMW HP products, unles you like to get ripped off.
How's the quality held up on the SSR carbon fiber? They're like half the price of everyone else.
MP4-12C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 04:46 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP4-12C View Post
How's the quality held up on the SSR carbon fiber? They're like half the price of everyone else.
I have SSR carbon fiber pieces (Under Tank Panels & Side Panel Fairing Covers & Chain Guard & Rear Mudguard) on my bike for nearly 2 years now and they are of good quality.
2010 S1000RR- Ported head by Bsinclair-Austin Racing GP3 full Exhaust - Brentuning flash device - MWR HE Air Filter - BST wheels - Ceramic wheel bearings , 5" stretch, lowered, Brock's Performance clutch mod & heavy spring kit & front strap kit, APE Clutch, -1 front
8.78 sec on 91 pump gas & Conti SportAttack2 tire
YouTube: BMWS1000RRBAHRAIN

Last edited by 1000RR Bahrain; 07-29-2012 at 04:48 AM.
1000RR Bahrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 12:26 PM   #7 (permalink)

i love them too. i have had their products for almost 2 years as well, and NO CRACKS or breaks!
if you do contact them, ask for jim and be sure to say "nick funk in sun city,az referred me.
i have a ton of their product, and love it...
see my pics on my profile page
Old 07-29-2012, 12:28 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaotic View Post
In general, be careful about how you use CF. The intended purpose of CF is to replace things in order to shave weight.

Adding CF all over the bike not only defeats the purpose, but can look cheesy and poserish if overdone...especially on a street-only bike.

In other words, CF wheels, engine covers, bodywork, exhaust etc = perfect.

The CF trinkets"" and accessories some people add all over the bike just end up in the bike looking like that old truck you see decked out with 425 accessories from Autozone.

Of course this is just my opinion, it is your bike.
ha ha... I SO AGREE!!!! DO NOT, I REPEAT DO NOT get fake carbon fiber or look alike, or small trinkets (like the fake handlebar levers... I HATE THOSE).
keep it clean and sleek... i saw same thing...
did you see how mine looks on my profile? what do you think? too much? too little?
Old 08-07-2012, 12:37 AM   #9 (permalink)

I honestly had every intention of purchasing the HP carbon fiber from BMW and thought damn that's ridiculous, so I looked at Ilmberger. Great they are made in the same factory as the HP carbon and everyone states that it is the best, however, Ilmberger for the last 2 years has had such a sh*tty reputation, at least here in the states for back orders taking up to 5 months, with Ilmberger not really caring about the consumer. Next was Bestem and CDT. Great carbon, really fair pricing and great customer service and now I'm hearing that SSR has great stuff.

Well, I'm torn as photographs professionally taken in a studio aren't much help. I'm only interested in the twill weave and I see so much stuff out there that is half and half. Half the products are twill weave pattern and the other plain weave pattern or fiberglass backing with carbon fiber overlay on the top and I have no interest in mix and match vendors.

And where do you get the painted carbon from. I saw a solo seat cowl that was OE carbon fiber in blue. Now that's what I'm looking for.

Any ideas/suggestions/advice/hints/experiences let me know. I'm open to all help and direction.
2008 Ducati Desmosidici #187 - Team Colors.
Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:54 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet View Post
And where do you get the painted carbon from. I saw a solo seat cowl that was OE carbon fiber in blue. Now that's what I'm looking for.
It's not blue, that's just the picture that has a slight tint to it probably because of the lighting. But you can go to any good body shop and get a blue tinted clear or pearl to go over the CF if you want that look.
Advertisement