Carbon Fiber - Page 2 - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
Go Back   BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum > General BMW S1000RR Discussions > S1000RR/HP4 Appearance

» Insurance
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2012, 06:48 PM   #11 (permalink)

So this is just a tint from the photograph or colored clear coat?

OE Factory BMW S1000RR carbon fiber rear passenger pillion seat cowl cover CF | eBay

Let me know.
2008 Ducati Desmosidici #187 - Team Colors.
Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2012, 03:13 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaotic View Post
In general, be careful about how you use CF. The intended purpose of CF is to replace things in order to shave weight.

Adding CF all over the bike not only defeats the purpose, but can look cheesy and poserish if overdone...especially on a street-only bike.

In other words, CF wheels, engine covers, bodywork, exhaust etc = perfect.

The CF trinkets"" and accessories some people add all over the bike just end up in the bike looking like that old truck you see decked out with 425 accessories from Autozone.

Of course this is just my opinion, it is your bike.
this is absolutely true. CF can get very addictive however, and I ended up adding any part that was carbon fiber to my 2010 bike. Looked nice, but really didn't serve any practical function.

I really liked SSR carbon parts in terms of fit and finish, but they were pretty heavy - no weight savings there.

I spent the money for a carbon fiber full bellypan - that saves quite a bit of weight. But I'm drawing the line there. Front and rear fenders will save some weight as well, but for the cost versus saving a few ounces...not worth it.

Also note that true racing carbon fiber looks like crap. To get minimum weight...no lacquer coats, ultra-thin construction (race fairings are disposable), and it is assumed that they will be painted for a particular team's livery. I bought a one-piece alpha Racing tank and side cover piece, and while that DID save weight, it did not have that deep gloss look, and alpha Racing was very clear that this was a race part, same as what they used on race bikes, and the cheap cost had to do with the thinness and zero effort in polishing or finishing the part.
2000 Ducati ST4 (sold)
2010 S1000RR (sold)
2007 F800S (sold)
kismetcapitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 06:41 AM   #13 (permalink)

I'd stick with Ilmberger. This guy has created a Discount code for Ducati Streetfighter owners, not sure if there one for S1000RR yet, some one might want to pipe up and ask.

http://italianmotostyles.com/index.p...h=20_44_71_165

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app
Speed3C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:21 AM   #14 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Ilmberger is worth the wait. But if you do choose Bestem or one of the others to save some $$, stick with the same vendor for all the bits, otherwise it will look mismatched. They are not the same, no matter what people say.

BTW, that picture is taken under fluorescent lights. The clearcoat is not tinted, it's just the lighting. I get the same effect with the Ilmberger carbon I have.

Last edited by skapan; 08-08-2012 at 08:24 AM.
skapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 11:43 AM   #15 (permalink)

Smile Ilmberger Carbon

I've covered mine in Ilmberger and can't praise it enough!!

I've got some pics loaded on this forum.

The only part that isn't from Ilmberger is the Hugger, which came from Harris Performance in the UK (It's CRAP stuff), but keeps the Sh1t off the rear strut!!

I have the Road Nose Cone fitted to the Race Side Panels & Race Belly Pan.

I went for the Race Belly Pan to stop all the stones & Crap from getting plastered on the front of the block & exhaust. So far so good!!

It's been said here already but keep to the same manufacturer for a uniform look.
WhackyRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 11:53 AM   #16 (permalink)

Garage

There is a company ging to be producing parts for the S1k in coloured cf.

Godzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 04:46 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed3C View Post
I'd stick with Ilmberger. This guy has created a Discount code for Ducati Streetfighter owners, not sure if there one for S1000RR yet, some one might want to pipe up and ask.

http://italianmotostyles.com/index.p...h=20_44_71_165

The Ducati Streetfighter code is DUCMS if you want to get an idea of how much of a discount you could get.

Old 11-17-2012, 07:33 AM   #18 (permalink)

A code has been set for this forum as well.

S1000RR

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
Old 12-10-2012, 04:47 PM   #19 (permalink)
Sponsor/Admin

Garage

Ilmberger does NOT make the BMW Carbon Fiber... Ilmberger makes Carbon Fiber for the S1, but it's not the same as the BMW Carbon Fiber. 99% sure that is made by Becker. Hard to beat Ilmberger for the price you pay. The BMW/Becker stuff is high end for sure though!!
#1 Plate/Champion - 2013 SMRI

SMRI #1, WMRRA #112x, USBA #715, AMA #715

HUGE Thanks to my Race Sponsors!!

Riders Discount**PMtec, Inc**Schuberth Helmets**DUNLOP**DrippinWet**Brentwood Barber Shop**MOTUL**MRRF-Road Racing Forum**Leatt Neck Protection**Knecht Automotive

Motorcycle Racing - Because basketball, baseball, football, and golf only require one ball!
1000RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:40 PM   #20 (permalink)

Who sells Becker?
M GmbH is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement