BMW S1000RR Forum banner

Body and Riding Techniques from Troy Corser

10K views 33 replies 7 participants last post by  Outta Control 
#1 · (Edited)
Interesting concept and perspective.

Makes sense to me. I think I like it. :grin2:

Check out frame 0:27 he does what he does to make it look so smooth.

#2 ·
I ride with the ball of my foot on pegs. It gets tiring, most MotoGP rider ride with their heels. See this thread: me asking this exact question a while back:

http://www.s1000rrforum.com/forum/rider-improvement-techniques/168657-hanging-off-style.html

In riding schools (corner speed, CSS, etc...) they teach you to ride with the ball of your foot for the outside leg, hug tang with the lower part of femur. I don't find that to be the ideal way, especially if one needs to keep a fast pace for a whole session without getting calf fatigue. What Troy suggested in 1st video makes sense. Stay closer to the tank, hug tank with upper part of femur, I wonder what @misti and @Dylan Code think about that.

Reactions: CaptnRich
#22 ·
There are 57 listed elements to body position and going for a one position/technique fits all approach on a particular motorcycle with different people will give excellent results with a certain percentage and less favorable with the rest. Body proportions vary with riders who are the same height and weight, not to mention skinny, fat, flexible, etc.

Foot position will have a lot to with the the type of pegs (grippy aftermarkets vs smooth stock).

So any advice I give would be good for some and not good for others. I'd have to see them on the bike AND follow them riding. So often someone looks great on a bike in the pits and immediately reverts to something else when on track.

But let me offer one thing to consider about body position that is very often overlooked: how do your leathers fit? Are you like most who bought a close fitting set and promised yourself you'd lose a few pounds but never did? That will wreck your body position and make riding far less enjoyable. Also, the suit may fit well standing or in a non-agressive position, but when really hung off is quite restrictive--something I have experienced. Even a loose-fitting jacket area can be constructed in a way that does not allow the rider to easily lift his elbows up and makes hanging off difficult.

#5 ·
I am the same way. I am most comfortable when I brace my pelvis to the tank (abs against tank). I pivot my inside toe to point towards the inside of the turn which opens up my hips.

I hadn't thought about hooking my outside heel rather than sitting on the ball. Makes sense it would take less energy. How do transitions work? Do you move the ball of your foot to peg before sliding your butt?

#7 ·
Troy Corser teaches you to get your footwork right before you move on to getting your body position right. However, when done correctly it is really just one connected series of motions. (Easier said than done.) He is big on having it all done and the bike as stable as possible well before you are in the higher risk phase of any corner. Have your core as connected as you can and spend as little time as possible at maximum lean. Get the bike upright and on the gas again as soon as possible.

#10 ·
I did a Jason Pridmore semi-school at COTA and interestingly he did the same thing that Corser did for a number of the riders. Both asked them to hang off of the bike less. They thought that the riders were less stable and weren't gaining anything that made it worth it. Neither Corser nor Pridmore actually hang off of the bike to a large degree. This makes it easier to have your feet in the right (by their teaching) position as you are not contorting yourself at all.

It was good to hear this for the older riders (like me) who don't have the option of having their entire spine positioned below the top of the tank anymore.

#13 ·
With outside leg, do you lock on tank with pelvis (upper part of thigh) or lower part of thigh?

How do you position your rearsets? Back and low? Forward and high? I ask because I also see many riders not adjusting their rearsets to fit their riding style.

Reactions: bennymx
#24 ·
I spent two full 9 hour days in a classroom with a BMW race engineer who is currently working with Jodi Torres in World Superbike. He used graphs with X/Y plots and mathematical formulas to represent many of the concepts he was presenting. Well I don't think of riding in terms of X/Y plots and and formulas so found it hard to wrap my wits around what he was saying. However as the first day progressed I was able to "re-wire" my thought process to accept and understand what was being presented and it started to work. By the second day I was right there. That challenge unlocked a depth of understanding I would not have otherwise gained if someone was trying to pander to my preferred method presentation.

#30 ·
So I added 45 miles to my commute today and yesterday by riding Marsh Creek before work to practice the new-to-me technique.

I am starting to prefer the outside/heel inside/ball positioning. Less fatigue and stress on my knees. Don't need to move lower body around so much which lets me get ready for the next corner sooner.

Moving my upper body more into the turns, noticed my speeds were up with less lean angle, more smoothness, heart rate down.

Realizing the effect my 6'5" frame has on lean angle depending on how low my upper body is against the tank. Sitting upright around a corner requires significantly more lean than if my shoulders are down closer to the tank, not even talking about leaning my body just whether I'm sitting up or crouching down. I think that has been my 'aha' moment this week, even though I thought it would be the new footwork. Makes sense if I think about it, 100 lbs + / - 18" really messes with Center of Gravity :wow:

#32 ·
I say try as much "shoes" as you can and wear the one that fits you best.

My problem is is I constantly try on too many shoes but what I currently gained is using a different "shoe" for different types of curves.

Does that make a show *****? >:)
That's a good idea, always keep an open mind for better solutions :thumbup:

Just be sure to wear the proper 'shoes' depending on the road; you wouldn't want to be caught in your 'running shoes' in the rain :grin2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.