Video showing how pro rider grips throttle and handlebars at Jerez circuit - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
Go Back   BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum > General BMW S1000RR Discussions > Rider Improvement and Techniques

» Insurance
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2012, 02:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Video showing how pro rider grips throttle and handlebars at Jerez circuit

Hey guys,

Came across this video this morning and the technique this rider uses to hold the handle bars/throttle struck me so I need some input on how to improve for next year. It's a Ducati Panigale, but let's focus on his technique:

On Board Canepa Jerez Ducati 1199 Panigale - YouTube

What intrigues me the most is that he seems to twist the throttle with his fingers and thumb, his palm never touches the grip? Especially visible on the long back straight where there seems to be a solid gap between his palm and the grip. I don't have a death grip but it feels natural to me to roll the throttle on with palm and fingers.

In turns he seems to shift his grip from having all of his finges on the grip to mainly gripping with his outer fingers (closest to the pavement).

Thoughts?

Sebastian
ski_powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2012, 03:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
sbs

If you have your full hand wrapped tightly around your grips, it probably means that you are gripping too hard; I find that a light grip helps me feel the tiny pieces of feedback that the bars are trying to give me. A tight grip doesn't let you feel those little pieces of information.

On my right hand, I almost never have my palm and fingers gripping tight around the whole grip; I re-grip quite often, especially at the track and I also still blip on my downshifts even though I have a slipper clutch... when I blip and brake simultaneously, I have two fingers on the brake lever, my thumb underneath the grip and my two right fingers (third finger and pinkie) curled around the throttle grip, so that I can pull on the brakes and yet still blip the throttle with the two outside fingers.. this means I cannot have a tight grip, as everything has to be pretty loose to accomplish all that at the same time.

I have taught Car racing with various local clubs in Northern CA and it's the same with steering wheel grip; too tight a grip and you are preventing the wheel from moving with the front tires/road. Mostly fingers and a loose grip.. this lets you take advantage of feeling every tiny twitch coming as feedback through the front wheels and lets you get a more delicate level of information about what grip levels are available and what the front wheels are doing.

A prime example on Motorcycles was at my last trackday at Laguna Seca. The guy I sold my 2009 Triumph Daytona 675 to was really slow; he said the bike wouldn't turn and was plowing the front end when he tried to turn it. I took the bike out and it was flawless (we both weigh within 5 lbs of each other). We did a lead follow and I could see that his arms were locked; literally rigid. He was holding on so tight that he was preventing the bars from moving and so the bike was not able to move when it would have normally.

I had him relax his arms and loosen his grip and BINGO!! The bike started to turn better for him.

Bottom line is that a looser grip allows you to feel more of the small pieces of information and feedback that allow you to get that last few % out of the bike.... subtlety is rewarded, so is finesse and smoothness on these bikes.
sbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:05 PM   #3 (permalink)

I do hold the grip more in my palm but I def don't have a tight grip, it's very loose. I find that I hold it between my thumb and the area where your fingers meet your palm so there is a little gap between my palm and the grip. The rider in the video seems to hold it between his thumb and the tips of his fingers, his palms are far from the grip. I'm just interested in getting other riders input on this.

Also in the turns, he angles his wrists after getting the bike leaned in so that his forearm seems to always be perpendicular to the ground. This is something that I know that I do not do and after viewing the video it makes sense how much easier it would be to keep your shoulder further forward while leaned in. Is this something that I should keep in mind? I find that watching videos helps me find my mistakes or bad habits and this one stuck out.

Sebastian
ski_powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:18 PM   #4 (permalink)

You can't see what his ring finger or pinky are doing, or his outer palm for that matter. They could still be wrapped around the grip when he loosens up the thumb and index finger. Also, never trust a wide angle lens.....they exaggerate everything.
HULK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:37 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thumb webs hardly ever touch the grips. It's like someone said "holding it like a pencil".
Mfisher702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:51 PM   #6 (permalink)

At greater lean angles I was told at CSS to hold the levers like holding a screw driver. Rather than a full vertical grip. Just like the video.
You get used to speed fast!
Panic is NOT a strategy!
RIQUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:33 PM   #7 (permalink)

Great video. I've never seen WSBK footage from that vantage point. It gives you a great sense of what is happening with the front end. I have to say that I'm a bit underwhelmed with their setup. I expected $20k forks to work a little better. I saw some crazy chatter in some spots.

Anyway...back to the topic.

Screwdriver =
01 GSXR 600
91 XLCH 1200
87 GSXR 750
86 ZX600
85 RZ350
84 CB700SC
83 XJ400

Last edited by ACS1000RR; 12-09-2012 at 12:07 PM.
ACS1000RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:41 PM   #8 (permalink)

That's funny because I've always done that while riding. It become a habit I was teaching myself so that I was aware of my grip on the clip ons and to keep it light not forceful or heavy. This also forces me to use my legs, knees and abdomin to hold onto the bike and not my hands.

In turns I just found it natural that the palm area between my thumb and forefinger basically come off and create a small gap because I was always instructed to lean my shoulder down and toward the mirrors, same as my head. This was more instinctive to allow the gap.

I originally picked up the habit from golfing. In creating a V in my grip. To keep your hands light. When riding I still have that V gap in the thumb and forefinger pointing outward. Taught me to have a light grip and to steer/accelerate/brake with my fingers and not my hand.
2008 Ducati Desmosidici #187 - Team Colors.

Last edited by Bullet; 01-22-2013 at 03:56 PM.
Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:40 AM   #9 (permalink)

Default elbow┐?

i think he do that to try to balance the curve with his elbow?
trying to touch the ground like a limit lean... well that what i guess
evildrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:33 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACS1000RR View Post
I have to say that I'm a bit underwhelmed with their setup. I expected $20k forks to work a little better. I saw some crazy chatter in some spots.
The chatter is not from his forks. As i can tell they work great. He just has a very aggressive geometry on his swingarm.
By the way i though he was falling at 2:28 .
Wolielmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement