what is this called? - Page 2 - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
Go Back   BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum > General BMW S1000RR Discussions > Rider Improvement and Techniques

» Insurance
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2012, 05:42 PM   #11 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Garage

A front end push is one of the hardest scenarios to recover from. The bike isn't holding line, you're running wide and all you can do to save it is add throttle to take weight off the front and take away lean angle to allow it to grab. Both of which cause you to run even wider.

Regardless of other factors like setup, bike technique, or tire condition, he's at his and his bikes limit. Don't push it on the street. He's nearly crashed twice and you're suggesting he try his luck again. Really?!
Bill McCoy - CVMA #20
SoCal Trackdays|Racer's Edge Performance|Pirelli|Dainese D-Store Orange County|Temecula Valley Paint|InHouse Suspension|Armour Bodies
Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2012, 06:34 PM   #12 (permalink)

Garage

Ok then it's like Ghost24 said "sell your bike.. Before you hurt yourself" other wise take up drag racing. If your not capable enough to turn corners to see if there is something amiss about your bike, then just go in a straight line.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
Skygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:40 PM   #13 (permalink)

If I remember right, you do not have any previous experience riding motorcycles. My suggestion is for you to attend a Motorcycle Safety Foundation class and then attend a rider's school for advanced training. If you are leaned over 35% at that slow of a pace then your cornering lines could be off.

You should probably take your bike to the dealership or a suspension shop in your area for them to set it up properly for you also.
RobCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:46 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skygun View Post
Ok then it's like Ghost24 said "sell your bike.. Before you hurt yourself" other wise take up drag racing. If your not capable enough to turn corners to see if there is something amiss about your bike, then just go in a straight line.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
first of all skygun - go scew yourself. You're telling me that when you first started riding you had no "oh **** moments" and you were a pro right from the get go?

Idiot!
noamkrief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:03 PM   #15 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Garage

Taking it back down a notch... I think Skygun was probably taking exception to me rather than intending to offend.

The fact you saved it says a lot about your ability to keep a cool head and stay focused. Most people never learn to do that and it's one of the most important skills you can master. You've already got a good start, so come out to the track and keep learning. It's the most fun you can have on a bike.
Bill McCoy - CVMA #20
SoCal Trackdays|Racer's Edge Performance|Pirelli|Dainese D-Store Orange County|Temecula Valley Paint|InHouse Suspension|Armour Bodies
Old 11-30-2012, 07:05 PM   #16 (permalink)

Another technique, although should be obvious is push steering! Not everyone does this, and if you turn the bar instead of push steer and lean the bike, it will effect your cornering.
2013 BMW HP4 #0162 (STOLEN JUNE 17, 2014!!!)
2010 MB C63 AMG PERF PLUS (For Sale! )
2005 HONDA CR125 (Sold)
2003 SUZUKI GSXR 600 - track toy (For Sale!)
Fbto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:13 PM   #17 (permalink)

I rode on that same road again today and was able to replicate the issue.
I's a decreasing radius 180 deg hairpin turn that goes uphill.
Riding that turn again today multiple times, i'm entering it at around 40mph but not using throttle due to the nature of the decreasing radius.
Mid corner I'm slowed down to around 20mph which where the problem happens.

I think what was happening is that horrible speed in which countersteering and normal steering seem to overlap. Does anyone know what i'm talking bout? Below 15 mph a motorcycle steers like a car. Turn left, go left. At over 15mph, it transitions into countersteer mode -turn right to go left etc...

Come to think of it, as a beginner rider, those speeds are the most difficult since there is an overlap in the techniques.

regarding skygun's comment - he's a prick and has a very negative attitude. I hope he never has kids because when they try to learn something, if they are not perfect, he'll just tell them to quit. Also - i'd bet his girlfriend is probably cheating on him with that negative attitude.

Anyway - being new to riding, i'm attending every track day I possibly can. I moved to southern California just to be able to learn how to ride and not be down for 9 months of the winter like some bros from seattle.
noamkrief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:13 PM   #18 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Garage

I'm not sure what this means but you don't want to push (understeer in car terms). That's essentially what he described doing. As he mentioned the front end began to tuck and the loss of turning (centrifugal) force causes the bike to fall in.
Bill McCoy - CVMA #20
Old 11-30-2012, 07:19 PM   #19 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by noamkrief View Post
Anyway - being new to riding, i'm attending every track day I possibly can. I moved to southern California just to be able to learn how to ride and not be down for 9 months of the winter like some bros from seattle.
If you're in SoCal hopefully I'll see you at the track soon. PM me if you can ever make it to a SoCal Trackdays event at Chuckwalla.
Bill McCoy - CVMA #20
Old 11-30-2012, 08:12 PM   #20 (permalink)

Just my .02, but this really isn't a starter bike. Be safe, fast comes later!
MJS1000RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement