California Superbike School - Page 2 - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
Go Back   BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum > General BMW S1000RR Discussions > Rider Improvement and Techniques

» Insurance
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2012, 11:48 PM   #11 (permalink)

For levels I, II, save your $1000 and skip the two-day camp. Yep, the only difference is the on-track student to instructor ratio (3:1 vs 2:1). At this level, the instructors can quickly pick up on what you are doing wrong.
FlamingLips is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2012, 02:07 PM   #12 (permalink)

Cool. One decision made. Now which is the best track for the school. One first hand experience(from a racer) I got is that Infineon is not great in Winter, since it almost takes half a day for the track to be dry and confidence inspiring.

Laguna Seca may get overwhelming for newbies with the altitude variations in the mix? Whats the best track for the first-timers..?
varunrajg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:47 PM   #13 (permalink)

I'm wondering the same. Strongly tempted by Laguna Seca (which I booked) as one of THE classic US tracks and sort of think I'll just deal with the elevation challenges as part of the recipe. Ride Eat Sleep Repeat. My buddy may not be able to make the April LS dates so we might switch to another. Waiting to see opinions on alternative tracks for the rookie experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Mfisher702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:28 PM   #14 (permalink)

Garage

Great investment if you have any doubts about your abilities or the capability of your bike - amazing how much it changed my riding perception.
Juce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:18 PM   #15 (permalink)

As far as camp vs day classes, I think if you do the camp first, you won't see any reason to try and fix what ain't broke. They are extremely well run and the on track time is actually exhausting by day two. But even the "rich" choose the day schools so they can learn on their own bikes. There was a really nice guy at my camp taking a day class and he had his MV Augusta and Panigale with him and neither were prepped for the track!

As far as which track to ride, I did VIR 2 day camp this year and even that slight elevation change leading to the straight was unnerving at times once we started progressing to higher speeds so my opinion would be to not start at Laguna if you're new to this (as I was at VIR).

I would suggest doing it at your home track if possible so you can really apply everything exactly where you learned it. I'll be doing Thunderbolt two day in 2013 for that reason, unless I give in to that same urge to do Laguna!
Pseudolus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:37 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmltoe View Post
unless I give in to that same urge to do Laguna!
Yep

Old 11-19-2012, 06:31 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingLips View Post
For levels I, II, save your $1000 and skip the two-day camp. Yep, the only difference is the on-track student to instructor ratio (3:1 vs 2:1). At this level, the instructors can quickly pick up on what you are doing wrong.
Actually there are a lot more differences in the two day camps vs the single day, hence the price difference. They are:

Two day camp: Available on the school bikes only, BMW S1000's (with four 800's available if you wish to ride one of them). During a two day camp you get 5 classroom sessions and 7 riding sessions of at least 20 minutes. Student to coach ratio is no more than 2:1 and during every riding session you will be followed and lead on track by your coach and then debriefed afterwards. There are less students overall at a two day camp which means that you will be on track with less than 15 students + coaches at a time. Format of the day is classroom, ride, classroom, ride etc.

Also, during a two day camp, all the off track training bikes (Lean/slide bike, brake bike and the No BS bike for the steering drill) are available for use depending on the track and weather conditions. You will also get to ride the camera bike once per day, have your video reviewed by a qualified coach and receive a DVD of both your camera bike riding sessions at the end of the school. Lunch, snacks, tea, coffee and water are all provided.

Single Day School: You can use one of the school bikes or bring your own bike. There are 5 classroom sessions and 5 riding sessions of at least 20 minutes. Student to coach ratio is no more than 3:1 and same as the camp you are lead and followed by your coach each session out and then debriefed after. Format for the day is Classroom, ride, break, classroom, ride, break.

At a single school depending on the level you are taking you can do one of the off track bikes. Level one is the steering drill (No BS bike), level 2 the Lean Bike, level three gets a video review session and level four can ride the slide bike. There is no camera bike available in a single day school. There are more students total during a single day so you are on track with more riders at a time, no more than 22 I think at a time.

Both options will give you an incredible experience and will improve your riding tremendously but you do get more value during the two day camp and a lot more one on coaching and off track training.

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunrajg View Post
Cool. One decision made. Now which is the best track for the school. One first hand experience(from a racer) I got is that Infineon is not great in Winter, since it almost takes half a day for the track to be dry and confidence inspiring.

Laguna Seca may get overwhelming for newbies with the altitude variations in the mix? Whats the best track for the first-timers..?
Depends on what you like and where you are located. Streets of Willow Springs is actually an amazing track and perfect for a training school, the weather is always good and there are a ton of turns to really challenge you.

The Ridge is really fun (and i'll most likely be coaching there Infinneon is great, Laguna is fun but maybe not the best track for new riders......

If you have any specific questions about the school or any of the tracks (I've ridden them all except for New Orleans) then feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer!

Misti
Old 12-14-2012, 12:03 AM   #18 (permalink)

I had booked a 2-day camp Laguna Seca for June '13. After more research, I just switched to the Streets of Willow Springs Mar 25-26.

Levels 1 - 2. Very excited to do this.

Mark

Old 12-14-2012, 07:25 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by misti View Post
Actually there are a lot more differences in the two day camps vs the single day, hence the price difference. They are:

Misti
Thanks for the write up Misti! You saved me a ton of time and research! Proceeding to book the 2 day camp at Thunderbolt...
Pseudolus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:18 PM   #20 (permalink)

I did the 2 day camp in 2011. I remember the 2nd day after doing 7 track sessions the day prior i asked myself, "I have to do 7 more track sessions?"
14 track sessions in 2 days is good training for sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement