BMW S1000RR Forum banner

Street racing

3K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Elk 
#1 ·
So I finally raced some older r1 today from a 50 mph to about 130 and got beat 3 different times, even tho he was stretched. What am I doing wrong first race was in race mode then I switched to slick mode and turned off abs then the last race I just had slick mode and then out come was the same, I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong btw mine is a 15 with BST wheels. I shifted about 13k each time.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#4 ·
sounds like the R1 has some giggle juice, because the information we have so far would indicate that you should win.

#6 ·
gearing and weight makes a huge difference....was doing roll on races last night against two other s1000rr, one is built for a drag (gears, stretched, etc etc) and the other had a rider who is 60 pounds lighter than me....I got walked by the drag bike until about 160mph then I'd walk him but the other s1000rr walked me every time...I'm on a 15 stock minus a pipe and he's on a fully stock 14

#7 · (Edited)
Shift higher, 13,500, as long as you're not in first gear. You may be shifting too early, I.E. 12750, 12800, anticipating 13,000, perception vs reaction.

What gear are you starting in, and are you sure the other fella is starting in the same gear?

Most dragstrips for a test/tune night/day only charge $20-25 and it eliminates so many possible variables, as well as police intervention, or oblivious motorists who may change lanes in front of you just as you come into the picture at 150 + mph vs their 70 mph.
It's the only true way of measuring differences in power, and skill. Also way safer, street compound tires are exceptionally able to provide traction without resorting to burnouts, you just need to be sure you have the appropriate psi, in the rear tire for your weight.
As far as safety requirements, it is looking more and more that if you have a newer bike 1998- there will not be any thing said about having a lanyard attached to a killswitch, in the event you separate yourself from the bike. Leather jacket, boots, gloves, helmet, jeans, OR if you run quicker than 11.000 or faster than 125mph full leathers will be required. If you elect to roll the dice, and just wear jeans, you'll get a warning, after the pass you broke the aforementioned threshold (s) and when you repeat the feat a second time, you will be denied access to run again, and be told to leave, and not return until you have full leathers.
I am chomping at the bit to go to what I refer to as a "real track" NC bike, vir summit, hell maybe even njmp. I am resisting until I have a complete set of bodywork, with Superbike tail, etc. I want to be able to go out and relax, and not stress about the eventuality of crashing, and destroying so many costly things, lights, bodywork, etc.

I still remember from 15 or so years ago just prior to getting my novice license with MARRC, and racing with CCS a couple times, an instructor said "There's two kinds of racers, those who have crashed, and those that will" it's the only way you can find your limitations, not necessarily the machine's. That's what I want to do, get better, and more confident and comfortable. Trackday are nice but there's that whole bit about perception vs reality, were you really faster than the other rider on an equally prepared machine, or was he/she holding some back in reserve, because of the potential financial consequences, of going 100%? After all there's no trophy, or purse to win, yet a lot of people I know, and even some here, give the impression or have the impression that a trackday somehow proves one has superior abilities over another. I call b.s. on that mindset.
Someone said in a p.m. to me recently, "I know you're more into dragracing than......." nothing could be further from reality. I go to "the strip" to work on my skill at launching the bike from a standstill, because motorcycle races don't start like NASCAR. You can gain or lose a lot of places on the start. Most of the time you are gridded by entry date, the date you paid your entry fee for that race.

Trackday's are $200 on average and the strip I can go for $25 and gain knowledge/skill. There's a lot to be gained by going to a trackday too, but for true measurable results, vs others, racing is the best option for me. Racing on a road course is what I'd like to get back into, but I have a finite amount of cash and must go through it methodically to get there. Formula 40 is calling my name, but if it takes me much longer I might qualify for Formula 50 if it exists. Heck neither may exist anymore, I might have to race the younger peops, oh well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.