What did this street rider do wrong to high side (slo mo video w/sound) - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
Go Back   BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum > General BMW S1000RR Discussions > Rider Improvement and Techniques

» Insurance
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2012, 06:22 AM   #1 (permalink)

Cool What did this street rider do wrong to high side (slo mo video w/sound)

Have been disecting high sides in my mind for a while and found this great steet high side with excellent video and sound and was wondering if those more experienced than me could give their input on what the guy did wrong and what he could have done to avoid it? Thanks...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Qi2sq94aKA

Last edited by usrodeo4; 01-25-2012 at 06:24 AM. Reason: fixing url
usrodeo4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2012, 07:23 AM   #2 (permalink)

Rear tire regained traction, threw him up, but he held onto the bars and it was game over.
dattaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 08:04 AM   #3 (permalink)

Same reason most high sides occur - too much throttle while at lean, rear steps out, rider chops throttle, rear regains traction and pitches rider off. Pretty much textbook.

You avoid by better throttle control, either the rider or bike electronics. Sometimes you can salvage things by not chopping the throttle, but once the rear develops enough of a slide, Rossi isn't going to be able to save it.

- Mark

Last edited by markjenn; 01-25-2012 at 08:08 AM.
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 08:32 AM   #4 (permalink)

If you have to ask you shouldnt be riding dude.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:47 AM   #5 (permalink)
Sponsor/Admin

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS TRV View Post
Not true. Don't think anyone was born w/the inherent knowledge of all the dynamics of riding
#1 Plate/Champion - 2013 SMRI

SMRI #1, WMRRA #112x, USBA #715, AMA #715

HUGE Thanks to my Race Sponsors!!

Riders Discount**PMtec, Inc**Schuberth Helmets**DUNLOP**DrippinWet**Brentwood Barber Shop**MOTUL**MRRF-Road Racing Forum**Leatt Neck Protection**Knecht Automotive

Motorcycle Racing - Because basketball, baseball, football, and golf only require one ball!

Last edited by Triple Threat; 11-01-2012 at 11:12 AM.
1000RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 08:54 AM   #6 (permalink)
Sponsor/Admin

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by usrodeo4 View Post
Have been disecting high sides in my mind for a while and found this great steet high side with excellent video and sound and was wondering if those more experienced than me could give their input on what the guy did wrong and what he could have done to avoid it? Thanks...

CBR1000 Highside Crash - YouTube
As Mark said... same thing that happened to me in that video I posted on your other thread except I managed to keep the rubber side down. Answer to your question = better throttle control is needed.

Note, there could be other factors in this particular case as well having to do with tire type, age, pressure, whether or not it was to temp, etc. But all things created equal, better throttle control was needed.
#1 Plate/Champion - 2013 SMRI

SMRI #1, WMRRA #112x, USBA #715, AMA #715

HUGE Thanks to my Race Sponsors!!

Riders Discount**PMtec, Inc**Schuberth Helmets**DUNLOP**DrippinWet**Brentwood Barber Shop**MOTUL**MRRF-Road Racing Forum**Leatt Neck Protection**Knecht Automotive

Motorcycle Racing - Because basketball, baseball, football, and golf only require one ball!

Last edited by 1000RR; 01-25-2012 at 10:26 AM.
1000RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 09:08 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS TRV View Post
That's not fair man. We are not all born pro riders. In fact, him asking the question because he wants to become a better rider show me he probably should be riding a bike of some sort.

To the OP it was a good question and answered very will further above. Please don't be afraid to ask more questions of the sort. Ther are also some very good books out there that will help you understand the theories of riding better.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Motorcycle App
'02 RC51 Sato exhaust and rearsets, PCIIIr w/Kyle map, Pazzo racing levers, HRC quick turn throttle, PAIR blockoff, Steel braided lines, Race-Tech suspension, Double Bubble screen, Hotbodies under tail, Custom hugger, flush mount turn signals.

'11 BMW S1k Kyle exhaust, PCV w/Kyle map and Auto-tuner, Ohlins 30mm cartridge kit-TTX MKII shock, Sato rearsets, PAIR blockoff, Frame and Axle sliders, Puig screen, Pazzo levers, Yosh case covers-tidy tail, Accossato quick turn throttle, Watsen LEDs.

Last edited by RC51Player; 01-25-2012 at 11:25 AM.
RC51Player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 10:57 AM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

From what I could see

(A) this is a notorious curve on mulholland that crashes a ton of people I believe it's an off camber turn at the end

(B) if your going to ride the least you can do for your own safety is have good equipment... and from that video at the end when they show his tires they look wore out.

(C) im willing to bet what tire he had left was cold

+ they don't sit there all day with "cameras on" because they have a ton a good riders in that area
AMRRA Open SS Expert #2
WMRRA #112
Sponsors:
Lithia Motors
Snap-on tools
SMX Optics
Ride Engineering
Suomy Helmets
Leatt neck braces

Last edited by AMRRA12; 01-25-2012 at 11:44 AM.
AMRRA12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 11:41 AM   #9 (permalink)

I'd say he was bit by trying to show off mad skilz to the assembled audience....
Rray916MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 11:52 AM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
Default Lot's of Factors...

Major factoer: He was "trying" to show off to the local crowd and as such, too many inputs prior to turning, revving, standing the bike up, came in with a bad line, body position.

Notice a few other things, his leather top & bottoms seemed to not be zipped together, or maybe they just don't fit him well. The previous corners was a complete and utter failure.

Had he had a bike with traction control it may of been a different story.

He wasn't smooth, riding demands smooth inputs.

Triple

Last edited by Triple Threat; 11-01-2012 at 11:13 AM.
Triple Threat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement