Level 4 California Super Bike School - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
Go Back   BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum > General BMW S1000RR Discussions > Rider Improvement and Techniques

» Insurance
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2012, 09:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Level 4 California Super Bike School

Hey folks, last year I did Level 1,2,3. Best money I ever spent. I did not have the time to stay for level 4 so I am thinking of doing level 3 and 4 this year. Can I get some input from those that attended Level 4. Did you get as much as from any of the other levels?
You get used to speed fast!
Panic is NOT a strategy!
RIQUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2012, 07:20 AM   #2 (permalink)

I did lvl 4 last yr at Miller and it is pretty intense as you have two coaches. One on track coach who goes over whatever you are working on. Then you go as a group to Cody, Keith or somebody who helps you have more insight into what's going on and gives you different ideas on how to fix what you are doing wrong. You don't learn anything new just work on things from the other levels. For me it was lvl 2 vision stuff and the 2-step. When I get back to the states I will do lvl 4 again and again.
redleader666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 12:40 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIQUE View Post
Hey folks, last year I did Level 1,2,3. Best money I ever spent. I did not have the time to stay for level 4 so I am thinking of doing level 3 and 4 this year. Can I get some input from those that attended Level 4. Did you get as much as from any of the other levels?
Level 4 is unique in that it is completely customized to YOUR riding and we have you work on specific things that you need more help or practice with. The exercises are based on what was covered in levels 1-3 but we get to delve into the skills a little bit more and tie more techniques together. You have two coaches working directly with you; one that rides with you on track (like in previous levels) and then one that is able to spend more time with you one on one asking you questions and really getting to delve deep into what the CAUSE of your riding problems might be.

I personally LOVE being a level 4 coach because it is kind of like being a detective. The on-track coach tells me what he saw (you ran wide in turn 2 and 4 for example) but I get to figure out what really caused you to run wide in those turns. Was it that you lack Reference Points? Are you not looking far enough ahead? Are you getting on the gas before you actually finish turning the bike? Are you turning too slowly? There are a multitude of reasons why you might run wide in a corner and it is my job to figure out what YOUR issue really is.

There can be 10 Level 4 students in a room, all of whom are running wide in the turns but they may ALL get a different drill/exercise to work on because they all might be having different issues that are CAUSING them to run wide.

I think you will love it

Let me know if you have any more specific questions about level 4 or the school in general.

Cheers

Misti
Old 01-26-2012, 10:19 PM   #4 (permalink)

Misti, thanks for the information. I loved level 1,2&3. I will be there June ready for some more speed and turns.
You get used to speed fast!
Panic is NOT a strategy!
RIQUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 11:43 PM   #5 (permalink)

@Misti: any guidance on what frequency makes sense to "come back for more"? how every so often makes sense to attend (in terms of time, miles, or whatever metric you think is relevant). I also have done lvl 1,2 and 3, and am considering when is right to come back for more...
thx
RRrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 01:51 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIQUE View Post
Misti, thanks for the information. I loved level 1,2&3. I will be there June ready for some more speed and turns.
Excellent! You will love it I'm looking forward to doing some coaching and riding soon. I have been off a bike for waaaaaay too long and it sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRrider View Post
@Misti: any guidance on what frequency makes sense to "come back for more"? how every so often makes sense to attend (in terms of time, miles, or whatever metric you think is relevant). I also have done lvl 1,2 and 3, and am considering when is right to come back for more...
thx
I think everyone is different so it will just depend on what you want and what you can afford really. We have some students that take level four once a year or once every couple of years and we have some that practically come once a month (or more).

There will ALWAYS be stuff that you can work on with your riding and the school is a great way to practice and be coached in a fun and controlled environment. As a racer myself I was constantly working on improving technique and speed and went round and round and round with the exercises from Keith's level 1, 2 and 3. You fix your throttle control at one speed but when you pick up the pace and start going faster it might suffer again, or you are able to execute the two step perfectly but now that you are approaching the corners at a different speed you two step sucks so you have to work on it again.

I think it is a good idea to get some coaching to figure out what your most glaring issues are and then maybe do a few track days or some street riding where you practice those specific things. When you feel like you have mastered those or you feel like new issues are cropping up again maybe then it is time to go back to school for some more help and more lessons.

Hope that helps!

Misti
Old 03-06-2012, 01:04 AM   #7 (permalink)

Well, I am stoked. I am headed for level 3 and 4 in two weeks. I am really looking forward to level 3 and then the one on one for level 4.

Thanks for telling us how it works. I know I appreciate it.
chipset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 07:36 AM   #8 (permalink)

@Misti: I like how you explain what I can expect in levels 3 & 4. Can I do levels 3 & 4 (say at Barber or perhaps at NOLA) with my own bike on two consecutive days (or must I do it as a two-day school with your bike)? Cost is my only reason to bring my own bike and do two separate days as opposed to doing the two-day school.
randomwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 12:17 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomwalker View Post
@Misti: I like how you explain what I can expect in levels 3 & 4. Can I do levels 3 & 4 (say at Barber or perhaps at NOLA) with my own bike on two consecutive days (or must I do it as a two-day school with your bike)? Cost is my only reason to bring my own bike and do two separate days as opposed to doing the two-day school.
You can do levels 3 & 4 on consecutive days on your own bike as long as it is open to all levels (not a two day camp). Barber or NOLA will have regular schools with consecutive days that you can sign up for.

I think doing two consecutive days is a great way to go (either two reg schools or a two day camp) as it gives you a lot of riding time, a lot of new info to learn and to take away to practice later and you have a hell of a lot of fun!)

Let me know when you sign up and be sure to write a review!!! Also, keep the questions coming if you have any more for me, I love talking about coaching and riding technique!

Old 03-24-2012, 05:29 PM   #10 (permalink)

California Superbike School helped me tremendously and i have signed up for levels 3&4 at NJMP in May. Best money i have ever spent and one of the reasons that i bought a
s100rr because it was one hell of a way to take a bike out for a test ride.
hova00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement