The Beautiful Roads In Nor Cal - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
 25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 08:45 PM Thread Starter

The Beautiful Roads In Nor Cal

As much as I want to move to a state like Texas with a fantastic Governor, AG, no state income taxes and a MotoGp track like Cota, I don't think any state has roads and scenery like we have here. So Cal even has Mulhollond although I've never ridden it.

I would urge everyone to click and view the pix of just one ride we have available to us. The scenery will make you want to call in sick and go riding. Not safe for riding addicts.

Off the beaten path to the coast and back - BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum
CYCLE_MONKEY and s_focker like this.

Too much of anything is bad,
but too much good whiskey is barely enough.
~ Mark Twain
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 09:04 PM
z00

Weather, roads, and lane sharing are only things Calif has lol

Even with that other states could have similar stuff. I have ridden some of those roads, they're awesome. But that was not enough to get me to stay. Roads around TN (Dragon, 128, etc...) are just as good. Only issue so far is humidity. Beside that it has been the best decision I made to move to NC. Women, taxes, real estate, expenses, gas, traffic, etc... all are much better here. Even speeding tickets haha

Looks like an epic ride! But I never enjoyed BARF rides, so many mess-ups. Looks like you do a lot of them. I have been on two and never again.

2015 s1000RR
>10K club president.

--------------------------------------------
If you ain't slidin', you ain't ridin'
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 09:50 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by z00 View Post

Even with that other states could have similar stuff. I have ridden some of those roads, they're awesome. But that was not enough to get me to stay. Roads around TN (Dragon, 128, etc...) are just as good. Only issue so far is humidity. Beside that it has been the best decision I made to move to NC. Women, taxes, real estate, expenses, gas, traffic, etc... all are much better here. Even speeding tickets haha

Looks like an epic ride! But I never enjoyed BARF rides, so many mess-ups. Looks like you do a lot of them. I have been on two and never again.
That there is the deal breaker for lots of folks.
My uncle in law (he's 12+ yrs older than me) has kids my kids age, and that's the ONLY thing keeping him from moving his family back to Virginia, where he grew up.
They live in Vallejo.
wfo439 and CYCLE_MONKEY like this.

2015 KTM SDC 1290R
2015 S1000RR - DDC

Last edited by 5150 Pops; 05-20-2017 at 09:27 AM.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 10:09 PM
z00

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5150 Pops View Post
That there is the deal breaker for lots of folks.
My uncle in law (he's 12+ yrs older than me) has kids my kids age, and the ONLY thing keeping him from moving his family back to Virginia, where he grew up.
They live in Vallejo.
I grew up all over the place, no area is perfect. I'll take humidity over everything else. But I can see how some folks won't accept to cope with it.

2015 s1000RR
>10K club president.

--------------------------------------------
If you ain't slidin', you ain't ridin'
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:

This was a 1 rider ride report. It wasn't a BARF ride. The one official Barf ride I went on was boring. The unofficial group/dinner rides with Butch up the south side of Hamilton to the Observatory were outstanding. As was the unofficial R1MinesRoad Ripper ride from S Vasco Starbucks to Mines Rd/Junction/ Del Puerto and back. You picked the wrong Barf rides.

As pointed out by @5150 Pops , we don't have to deal with the humidity. I lived in Vallejo for about 7 years in a "good" area. Even the good areas are "rough." My current location is 10 times better.
5150 Pops and z00 like this.

~ Mark Twain
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 11:26 PM

California has some beautiful scenery...the only thing that totally destroys it is the sheer number of people living there. When was the last time you went for a 300 mile mountain ride and saw 3 cars all day? I have, and it wasn't in California.

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 12:51 AM

Everything is better in California, especially if you're near the OC/Newport area. Women hotter than the sun..and boooty booooty boooooty rockin' everywhere.....and well that's all that matters, right?
wfo439 likes this.

2016 BMW S1000RR
2014 Yamaha R6
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 09:37 AM

Garage
Quote:
I grew up all over the place, no area is perfect. I'll take humidity over everything else. But I can see how some folks won't accept to cope with it.
It's the whole, "once you've experienced the climate" you never want to NOT experience living in that climate, ever again, if you can afford it.

That's the only thing that has ever kept me and the wife from moving there. We spent some time around Vista, Carlsbad, San Luis Obispo, lots of other places I can't remember, in 2002. Gorgeous place, but there are an azzload of folks there, clogging everything up.
If you had the means, to have decent home with a 30 minute MAX (as in the worse possible scenario - rain, traffic jams) commute, it would be totally tits, living there!
wfo439 and z00 like this.

2015 KTM SDC 1290R
2015 S1000RR - DDC
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyryder View Post
California has some beautiful scenery...the only thing that totally destroys it is the sheer number of people living there. When was the last time you went for a 300 mile mountain ride and saw 3 cars all day? I have, and it wasn't in California.

That would never happen. Went on @Outta Control 's Wild Sore Ass Ride last year. It was supposed to be "off season" no traffic. The weather was great, traffic heavy but still loads of fun.
Outta Control likes this.

~ Mark Twain
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5150 Pops View Post
It's the whole, "once you've experienced the climate" you never want to NOT experience living in that climate, ever again, if you can afford it.

That's the only thing that has ever kept me and the wife from moving there. We spent some time around Vista, Carlsbad, San Luis Obispo, lots of other places I can't remember, in 2002. Gorgeous place, but there are an azzload of folks there, clogging everything up.
If you had the means, to have decent home with a 30 minute MAX (as in the worse possible scenario - rain, traffic jams) commute, it would be totally tits, living there!
I have an 8 mile commute one way. Start at 06:00. Off at 14:30. I never get stuck in "commute traffic!" If I ride the bike on a frontage road there are a couple places to hit triple digits as a wake me up. No coffee needed.
smash adams likes this.

~ Mark Twain
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode