BMW S1000RR Forum banner

At last I picked myself up an S1000rr

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Jacob Dirtracer 
#1 ·
My first (plated) bike was a Xr400. I ran that thing to death. Then there was the triumph tiger 800xc. I was looking for something that would be more worth of the streets. Then I thought hey why not pick up a R1200GSA, so I did. I love it. But no matter how much I mess with the suspension it never compared to my buddies S1000rr on the streets. So I have been saving up and recently I stumbled on an S1000rr on C list the other day and picked it up. Mechanically it was perfect. However, it is an electrical mess. No Dash, No ABS, No Traction control, and a ton of power.:smile2:
Here's a pic. I'm hoping I can get some assistance with the electrical mayhem.

I've always done all my maintenance and rebuilds, but this S1000rr is an entirely different beast. I am hoping this forum will prove as helpful as it has been for others.
Day 2 Photo by Christianthomas1 | Photobucket
Day 1 Photo by Christianthomas1 | Photobucket

#5 ·
Yeah, the GSA does pretty well in the slow speed twisties, but it has enduro tires instead of the mulitple compound tires found on the street tires. So I end up getting a lot of not so controlled wheel spin:surprise:

I picked up the S100rr with essentially no dash. The previous owner tried running some LEDs into the CanBus system and shortly after had no dash. When I plug in the B terminal the dash blinks at like 5hz for about a minute then shows random data. The bike won't start though. When I plug in the A terminal, absolutely nothing happens.

If I remove the dash however the bike runs great. I just have zero electronics.

The previous owner brought it to the dealership, and they checked the computer and dash and said they were fine and that the wiring harness likely has a short or has some extra resistance along the way.

This would make sense to me, so I ordered a full stock harness from a 2010 on Ebay. I am going to install it on Thursday. Hopefully, it is as simple as that but that hardly ever happens. But at least I can eliminate some of the variables, and hopefully pinpoint the issue. I hope that nothing was fried. His wiring, although hectic, didn't seem to introduce any higher voltages to any of the computers.

I will keep you guys posted. If the wiring harness doesn't fix it I will upload a video probably on Monday after I hit some trails in Hollister:laugh:

#7 ·
OH! The previous owner also has the GS 911 tool he is going to give me next weekend. So if there is anyone local to Sacramento you are welcome to stop by and clear some codes or check some data. These things are way overpriced. I had the equivalent for my Triumph tiger and it was only 20 bucks! haha

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.