BMW S1000RR Forum banner

Hello from Ohio

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  D.Clocktower 
#1 · (Edited)
I am not purchasing a new bike until next season (I hope). I have been looking at all kinds of bikes. Some of the bikes I have been considering are a Super Duke, an MV Brutale, Gixxer 750, Speed Triple, Buell 1125R, even a Streetfighter for about 30 seconds before I sat on one and felt my boys mashed into the tank, or a Duc 848.

I have been riding a GSX600F (Katana) for several years. You may notice the absence any liter bikes on the list. It's not because I am intimidated by the power. I just have always considered them a waste on the street and more than I need or want for the track.

The S1000RR is the first liter bike I've taken seriously. I assumed it would be a typical astronomically overpriced European machine. Although I was impressed by the degree with which BMW decided to take it straight to the Japanese. So I have been watching the bike with mild interest. I was shocked to read in Sport Rider that BMW planned to price within $1000 of the Japanese liter bikes, and more shocked to see the American list price. This is far too much bike at a real world price for me to not take a close look.

So I am here to learn what I can about this thing, and daydream about maybe owning the most advanced superbike in the world next year. I certainly wouldn't complain if they offered a 750cc option.

See less See more
#2 ·
I was exactly the same. I really never saw the need to ever have any more than 600cc's on the street. Until I rode a K1300S and other big bikes. It is a wonderful thing. Power down low where you need it right away. You don't have to have it spun up so high. Not as twitchy with mid corner throttle inputs and such a smooth power delivery with all the torque you could want. A litre is perfect for the street.

#7 ·
Hey Ohio rider!

I was born in OH, but I now live in southern Brasil. (not many cops on the roads and riding all year is easy) I do admit summers are almost too hot to ride. hahahaha

Most of my riding experience has been on liter bikes and I am on my first BMW now. S1000RR, 2015. Putting around town around 4000 RPM, she has perfect manners. (your left leg might get kinda hot though) Twist the throttle and at 9000 RPMs and above, she has perfect manners also.............. but carry some extra underwear in a backpack if you have not been on a bike in a while.

Maybe check out RAIN MODE for a day or two before you advance to SPORT, RACE. (SLICK/USER????)

Have fun, be safe!

#11 · (Edited)
TONS of bikes in Brasil, kinda like Asia I suppose. The standard size is 100 cc. A 300 is considered big and 600 and over is exotic. There are a few liter sport bikes, adventure bikes and Harleys cruising around (especially in the larger cities) but 125, 250 cc is the norm.

Not many police on the highways, but........ there they make up for the lack of patrol cars with cameras. All cameras have to have posted warning signs, but a sign does not always mean there is a camera. I know ALL the local cam locations, but when I am in a strange location, I keep an eye on traffic flow. Tickets arrive in the mail months later. SURPRISE, SURPRISE! I go online and run my plate and reg number every few weeks........ so far, so good.

Fuel costs about 3X more in Brasil than the US, so most of the cars are of smaller displacement. 1.0, 1.2, 1.4, 1.6, 1.8 liters. 2.0 liters is getting up there.

I live in southern Brasil and the BR routes are in pretty good shape. The smaller highways are not TOO bad, the exception being in high areas of heavy semi movement. Speeding at night could ruin your day on these secondary roads. I myself live on a dirt road. I do about .5 km on dirt and about the same distance on rough bricks before I hit asphalt. (gives the bike time to warm up)

As far as the beaches go........ OMG....... it is summer now, a lot a string bikinis (dental floss) about. A lot of places stay open to 5 or 6 am during the summer. Carnaval (soon) is just I N S A N E. No big parades or samba in my little town, just a lot of wild drinking and.......... Park your car or bike and just walk, traffic is all stop.

Oh yeah, back to women! In the US women go to the gym to LOSE their butts. In Brasil the women do squats and all kind of butt (bunda) exercises to have more @$$. hahahaha

Drivers here are used to bikes and will move out of your way to let you pass. But........ if you are thinking of riding here, bring a few years of experience with you. Traffic can be nuts. I have seen some hairy double yellow passing attemps that will drop your jaw. (common)

My Portuguese is so, so. I have lived here over 4 years. It could be better, but Im pretty lazy when it comes to languages.

Any questions about Brasil from a north american perspective, ask away! If you have WhatsApp, IM me and I will give you my number.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.