First BMW,track bike - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
Go Back   BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum > BMW S1000RR Main > New Member Introductions

» Insurance
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2012, 03:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default First BMW,track bike

Hi,Just bought a 2011 ex race bike,planning on doing track days for now,maybe a bit of club racing later.Havn't ridden the bike yet so very keen to see what all the hype is about.Great forum ,been reading as much as I can to get clued up on the bike.I'll try an keep my stupid questions to a minimum would post a pic if I could figure that out
spunant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2012, 03:35 PM   #2 (permalink)

Welcome in board.This is a really great bike.Enjoy
You will never be arrested #58
DrIoannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

If it has upgraded suspension and decent tyres-YOU WILL LOVE IT!

When you master it(i.e you control the bike/not you just hanging on!)you will love the fact that nothing touches it on the straights and it corners as well as a 600.

The only downside is,on a trackday,you will have no-one pass you so you can easily get bored! and there is only one way to go then-You will have to race it!!!
gixerconvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:07 AM   #4 (permalink)

Yes has race spec ohlins all round ,wheele are stock,already thinking of getting some lighter wheels and maybe a bit of carbon bling.
I've raced before so when I do track days I try to find someone as fast as me and have a bit of fun overtaking and backing off a bit to let them get past and then trying to pass again,otherwise as you say can get a bit boring just going round and round :-)
Old 12-06-2012, 05:08 PM   #5 (permalink)

Nice re: the suspension.

Lighter wheels will definitely make a huge difference. I'd stay away from carbon fiber though. Some magnesium or maybe some used HP4 wheels (that would undoubtedly be popping up on eBay in the near future) will be the biggest upgrade you can make, in terms of handling (since you have upgraded suspension).

What about the the steering damper? Is that upgraded also? the stock one is..ehhh...

Carbon bling won't make the bike faster. If you replace all of the fairings with race carbon (thin), you'll save a few pounds. But the rough estimate is for every 7 pounds lost, you gain 1 horsepower. That equation is pretty close. I think it might be closer to 8 or 9 pounds. But, I'm sure a quick google search can figure it out.

Then again, loosing 7 pounds of weight from your body is the cheapest way to go. MotoGP guys are 135-150 lbs. for a reason. Rossi is like a twig. Then again, if you do loose the weight you may have do have your suspension rebuilt. But, it's still the cheapest way to gain h.p.

Have fun man and welcome to the forum. I'm jealous! :-)

W
Wolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:14 PM   #6 (permalink)

Yes has an ohlins steering damper,the carbon fibre would just be for looks,may save my money and do more track days ,I'm about 74kgs /160 lbs so don't really need to lose any weight :-)
For some reason I can only post in this section,won't let me post anywhere else ?
Old 12-10-2012, 04:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
Sponsor/Admin

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixerconvert View Post
If it has upgraded suspension and decent tyres-YOU WILL LOVE IT!

When you master it(i.e you control the bike/not you just hanging on!)you will love the fact that nothing touches it on the straights and it corners as well as a 600.

The only downside is,on a trackday,you will have no-one pass you so you can easily get bored! and there is only one way to go then-You will have to race it!!!
What happens if a 600 does pass you?!
#1 Plate/Champion - 2013 SMRI

SMRI #1, WMRRA #112x, USBA #715, AMA #715

HUGE Thanks to my Race Sponsors!!

Riders Discount**PMtec, Inc**Schuberth Helmets**DUNLOP**DrippinWet**Brentwood Barber Shop**MOTUL**MRRF-Road Racing Forum**Leatt Neck Protection**Knecht Automotive

Motorcycle Racing - Because basketball, baseball, football, and golf only require one ball!
1000RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
Sponsor/Admin

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunant View Post
Yes has an ohlins steering damper,the carbon fibre would just be for looks,may save my money and do more track days ,I'm about 74kgs /160 lbs so don't really need to lose any weight :-)
For some reason I can only post in this section,won't let me post anywhere else ?
You now have more than 3 posts... you should be free to post in other areas now (except the classifieds, that takes 15+ posts).
#1 Plate/Champion - 2013 SMRI

SMRI #1, WMRRA #112x, USBA #715, AMA #715

HUGE Thanks to my Race Sponsors!!

Riders Discount**PMtec, Inc**Schuberth Helmets**DUNLOP**DrippinWet**Brentwood Barber Shop**MOTUL**MRRF-Road Racing Forum**Leatt Neck Protection**Knecht Automotive

Motorcycle Racing - Because basketball, baseball, football, and golf only require one ball!
1000RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:51 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000RR View Post
What happens if a 600 does pass you?!
Funnily enough,you always go quicker!!

Mind you,if it's a well known racer you go quicker until you can think of an excuse to pit!!
gixerconvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement