New Member - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
Go Back   BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum > BMW S1000RR Main > New Member Introductions

» Insurance
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2012, 09:34 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default New Member

Greetings to all, I've been reading these forums since purchasing my bike and finally made an account so I could join in on the fun. A little about me, I'm an 0311, USMC, been in for about 3.5 years, probably gonna stay in for a while longer, deployed to Afghanistan once, and I won't list my unit, because that goes against my personal code of PERSEC. Anyways, been riding almost religiously since I was 16, and I love bikes. Every aspect of them. I'm amazed by the engineering that goes into such fine machines (reminiscent of F1 tech.) and the amount of skill it takes to successfully negotiate high speed corners or ride bad a** wheelies down the highway. Personally, I don't ride without at least jeans and a riding jacket and full helmet, but on days when it reaches about 105, I've made exceptions and kept it under 80-90 mph. (Yes, I'm aware that's still likely fatal, but it's plenty better than 180.) I learned on a Honda Shadow 650, and have been addicted to bikes ever since. My wife is firmly convinced I love my bike more than her. Even though she's been there a little while longer than the bike. I haven't dcided if she's right or not
Jeffs_S1KRR is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2012, 09:43 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Forgot the Bike

Almost forgot, I have a 2012 Red/White with QS TC and ABS, and I love it. It replaced my 2010 CBR1000RR, which was rear ended. I had my CBR for a year, put 20K Miles on it, bout my S1K right after, which was July this year, and already have 12K miles on it. No track days, unfortunately, but I'm from the VIR area, and live in Jacksonville Nc, so it's not that far, just need the time. Before the CBR I had an '07 Busa (first bike. Cool, right? lol, got it for 6 grand, because I didnt have the credit for the auto loan I wanted) the time in between was spent on deployment, and before the busa I rode my dad's Shadow. I also have an 04 Katana and a '79 Suzuki GS550
Old 12-05-2012, 01:29 PM   #3 (permalink)

Welcome aboard! New here myself but there's a ton of good info.

I've got an '13 Red/White myself...Excellent color choice!

For me it's all about bikes and my Mrs. too, so I get you.
Cromagnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:41 PM   #4 (permalink)

First of all, thanks for your service.

I'm from an Army family my self, but my son-in-law is a squid. My (much older) bro died back in 1963 while in the 82nd. I was in the 101 then a DUSTOFF unit and my son just got out after 6 years as an 11Bravo (SAW gunner with 27 months in the sandbox).

I'm pretty new to the forum too, and like you I lurked for a while. I've got a Saphire Black'12 and love it!

Yeah, old guys like to go fast too.
Hanketsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:09 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
my son-in-law is a squid
I find your bluntness hilarious. I loved watching the black hawks fly in country though, serious respect to those guys. I hated the reason they came in, but man they were badass. But thanks for the welcomes!
Old 12-06-2012, 04:42 PM   #6 (permalink)

I know what you mean about the heat. I lived in AZ for 20-some years. Riding in the summer, when you're stopped in endless traffic, the heat must be at least 130+ by 11 a.m., as it just radiates off the asphalt like an oven. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised it it was closer to 150 at times. You're right it's almost impossible to ride with any form of protection.

When I was a 19 year old kid, I got my first liter bike (no never downed it- I too started out riding, a bit younger, around 13, and then got my own street bike a 250 cc at 15- which is the legal age for getting a riding permit in AZ). To be honest, I had ridden for years without anything but a helmet and gloves.

I lived in Tucson, AZ where there's a road called Catalina Highway, which is 28 miles of twisties, everything from 40 mile per hour chicanes to triple digit straight aways (or so I've watched). A round trip up and down the mountain is 48 miles. It's funny, by the time you get back down, on a litter bike the fuel light is already on. It's the longest mountain road in the United States, I believe, and the pavement is pristine. I've probably been up that mountain over 1,000 times, easily. All of the turns are "engineered." I never went above the speed limit, naturally. But sometimes my speedometer would malfunction and I'd see triple digit speeds, while climbing from the 2,500 desert to the cool mountain air at 8,500 feet.

When I grew some brains, and Joe Rocket was just starting out, I bought one of their mesh jackets with CE protection. It's not leather, but it's enough to keep you in one piece, unless you're going super nuts.

They still sell them and they're under $150.00, if I remember correctly. Try to wear something bro. You just never know. It might not be a car, it might not be your riding, something as rare as a blowout, could send you to the pavement. You just never know.

I've worn the jacket in ambient temperatures of 115- not counting what is reflecting off the pavement and I've had no trouble. freezing a camelback and staying hydrated also helps.

I do confess that riding with a leather jacket in 105 degree weather is almost impossible and the concentration that you loose from overheating can be dangerous in its own right, as it instantly saps your reaction time and your ability to stay safe.

Either way, welcome to the forum! A HUGE Thanks for your service. It's an honor and it's very much appreciated. Stay safe on your bike and when be careful if you serve another tour over there. Hell, be careful in training!

Cheers,
W
Wolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:46 PM   #7 (permalink)

I do own a joe rocket mesh jacket, with the ce protectors, and I certainly wear it almost religiously. Mainly, the only time Iwont wear it is when I'm just going through town, not on the highway, and no sport riding. I do everything in my power to mitigate my chances of injury, but thanks for the concern bro. I've never laid one down, but my CBR was totalled when some guy rear ended me at like 35, which was all the reason Ineeded to buy an s1000, and Icant count the times I've watched peoples faces in their mirror as they merge into my lane, never once checking their blind spot or mirrors. Kinda scary, really. And I won't talk about the unreasonable anger I feel when Isee someone texting and driving. And thank you all for the support. Its reassuring to know people still care about their service members. Hell, gettin off the plane and seeing random people there early as hell in the morning just to congratulate us was an unbelievably amazing feeling.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:23 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffs_S1KRR View Post
I find your bluntness hilarious.
We rag on each other all the time about the different branches. He really is a great guy and my daughter couldn't have done better.

I do wish Army would beat Navy just once though so he would shut up about it even if only for a little while.

Out of respect for a new member, I won't tell you what we say about the Marines. JK!

Seriously though, like others have said stay safe on the street, in training and when you deploy.
Hanketsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement