Another S1000rr in San Diego - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
Go Back   BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum > BMW S1000RR Main > New Member Introductions

» Insurance
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2012, 01:42 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Another S1000rr in San Diego

Hi All,

Another newbie from San Diego. I just picked up a 2012 BMW S1000rr FireBlue.

I'm very new to San Diego and would love to find a few others to go riding with. I don't know the roads, so it's a bit tough trying to find my way to the twisty roads.

I was going to buy a new bike, but I found one here in San Diego with a whopping 94 miles on it, listed on eBay. When I saw it was in San Diego, I told the seller to hold it and bought it the next morning. It already had the conrod. fix and the price was utterly insane, I mean insane. It was one of those situations of being in the right place and the right time.

It's loaded with ABS/TCS/quick-shift/Grip Warmers and not a scratch, not a nick. Not a ding. It's my very first bike and I can't wait to take it on the freeway. I want to see what this baby can do. I heard it can go 200 mph!! Is HJC a good helmet brand? Do I really need to wear a leather jacket?

Just kidding, for all those who just hit the reply and were about to call me...yeah...we'll skip that. I've been riding for 22-years, or since I was 13. You can do the math.

Some of the Bikes I've owned, not in order, save for the first bike (At one point I owned a couple at the same time)

1)Honda VTR 250 used.
2)Yamaha '88 FZ 600 used.
3)Suzuki RF 600 new. Forget the magazines, it was a superb bike
4)Honda Nighthawk 750, Honda advertised it's 4.5 sec. 0-60 time. Funny ad.
5)Suzuki GS 500e new before Suzuki ruined it with fairings. Great bike!
6)2001 GSXR-1000 new, everyone hated the tail section.
7)2003 GSXR-1000 new, I began to hate the tail section.
8) Yamaha Vino 50 c.c. New Scooter. 40 mph never felt slower.
9) Scooter # 2 150 c.c. import from China. No clue what brand. New
10) More GSXR - 1000's several more actually.
11) Kawasaki KZ 400 and a couple other bikes I can't remember off the top of my head
12) 2012 BMW S1000rr is 104 miles considered new? I'll cheat. New. Love it.

Accident record: one (1)- rode through an unmarked construction site at night, going about 25 mph. One side small patch of the road was newly paved and about 4" higher than the original paving I was on. I put my turn signal on, checked my blind spot, and not seeing the newly paved section (no street lights, couldn't pick it up with the headlights) I went right over. It was on my first bike the, VTR 250 c.c. If ever you want to see a 15 year old sob get in your time machine and travel back in time. All was fine. I rode home. Knock on wood, I've been lucky, since that time. Rather, I've been careful.

Since then, and even at the time, I'm pretty obsessive when it comes to safety. I routinely practice everything from emergency stops at varying speeds, to keeping the bike in gear, if I'm at a stoplight until the car behind me comes to a halt. - I've had to get out of the way once or twice - I can vouch the tactic does work. If I'm tired, the bike stays put. I always error on the side of caution. If I'm not on a motorcycle or in a car...

The bicycle, then goes into use, of which I raced/race as a Cat 1/pro road cyclist for a decade, and have ridden a few stints on a couple of professional teams. Yes he's yellow arm bracelet guy is dirty. No, never used anything. If I did, I'd have an HP4. Close friends did. I saw lots of lives ruined when they were caught. Sometimes, I wonder what could have been, if I had taken that route. Oh well. Back to bikes, motor powered bikes

With that, it's nice to meet everyone. Plans for the S1000rr- new exhaust, levers, windscreen, a few carbon fiber bits. removing passenger pegs, rear seat cowling, some sliders, a bit of tuning, nothing too crazy.

As far as riding partners, I have the next 6-months to play. It's a long story. As the weather improves, I'd like to do a roadtrip over to AZ or ? For now, if anyone can introduce me to the PCH or some curves that would be greatly appreciated.

I'm centrally located (Banker's Hill / Hillcrest Area)

My riding style, I'm taking it easy until the bike is broken in and I become more familiar with the bike's personality and handling traits. After that, nothing too crazy, but I like to have fun. Sure I can touch a knee, even scrape the side of a pair of Sidi boots. But, on the street, unless I know the road like the back of my hand, it's early Sunday, and all the police officers are chasing bank robbers, it usually doesn't happen. Shaking a leg "Rossi" style before a turn- heck yeah.

Looking forward to chatting with everyone and for the record I'm an eternal gearhead. I love working on my own bike, but I'll take it in to the "dealer" for the 300-750 mile service to get the restrictors off. I've heard BMW dealers are paid by BMW USA for flashing the ECU. I've read a few have had their service performed for free, by bringing up this point. It was on a different motorcycle forum. I've also heard the S.D. BMW Dealers are "so, so." If anyone has any recommendations for dealers, I'd be happy to hear.

Once again, it's very nice to meet you all. Safe riding and keep the rubber side down.

Cheers,
W
San Diego, Cali
Wolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2012, 04:25 AM   #2 (permalink)
HP4

Garage
Default W in San Diego

Big "W",

Welcome aboard my friend! I'd be your Wing Man any day, but being in Sacramento is going to be a little trek for me to get down to San Diego. But you never know!!

You've had some experience with bikes and I know how the first accident goes too! You've chosen a fantastic Steed to ride on now and you're gonna love it my friend!

All the very best to you and be super safe out there.... did I say.....

WELCOME ABOARD!

HP4
HP4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:05 AM   #3 (permalink)

Default welcome!

welcome to the sunny san diego!! (not lately but it is tho. lol) i live not too far away from you. a few friends & i usually ride the canyons on the weekend (hwy 94, sunrise hwy, julian, palomar, etc...) depending on the weather ofcourse. by all means, hitt me up & we can ride around if your down. as for the dealers out here, i picked mines up at Escondido BMW. awesome people & great service! highly highly recommend them. trust me, its worth the hike
2009 YZF R1 (sold)
2007 GSXR 750 (sold)
2003 YZF R6S (sold)
S1kRRDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:58 PM   #4 (permalink)

S1K & HP4,

Thanks for the welcome. I appreciate it. (Sorry for the delay, I've been swamped with work and out of town)

HP4:
Sacramento- I lived there for about a year not too long ago near 21st Street and Broadway. Pretty awesome town. I didn't have a bike in SAC. I was commuting too much. But, as you obviously know there are some killer rides in the area. Heading out toward Davis and over to Napa/Sonoma would be awesome. I then moved to the Bay Area, which just sucks for riding. It's the worst city I've ever ridden in. Drivers there are seemingly out to kill riders. So, that was no fun. If I make it up there, I'll let you know. Likewise if you make it down to San Diego let me know. Mi Casa su Casa.

S1K: Thanks for the welcome. No kidding on the weather as of late. I've been in and out of town, so I've been dying to head out. But each time I plan a ride the weather turns to crap. I still have less than 200 miles on the bike. The tires still need a proper scrubbing in. I've heard good things about Escondido BMW. I called San Diego BMW Motorcycles for a few simple questions about the bike and the first service. I talked to several people. Not the friendliest bunch. In any case they quoted me $264.00 for the 600-mile break-in service/ecu restrictor service. They said it would take about 90-mins. Seems pretty pricey, if they're charging by the hour.

Do you recall what you paid for your first service? It seems like everyone is paying something different, but the norm is around $200-$300? I'd much rather ride over to Escondido than form a relationship with a lame dealer. I own a BMW car, as well. Some dealers are great. Some dealers make me wonder how they can even stay in business. This is also the first bike I've owned that I've had to take to the dealer. I've always worked on my own bikes. Once they left the dealer, they never returned. Other than for a group ride, etc. But, $200-$300 is not the end of the world and times are definitely changing. As legendary as the GSXR-1k is, it can't hold a candle to the S1 in terms of the electronics, amongst other things.

In any event, thanks for the invite. I've been searching google maps for some good roads, but to no avail- save for riding over to Topanga Canyon and Mullholland Drive. There's got to be something closer. Though, it would be fun to head over there on a nice weekend. So, I'd definitely like to take you up on your offer, as soon as I get the bike broken in- I'll let you know.

I'm going to call BMW customer service to see what the real story is about whether or not BMW USA is reimbursing BMW M/C dealers for removing the ECU restrictor. I'll report my findings.

Only issue on the S1 so is that there's some discoloration on the bottom fairing on the right side of the bike (exhaust can side). It seems like the areas closest to the exhaust are heating up to the point that the plastic is releasing some sort of compound and is a darker color than the plastic that's farther away from the exhaust. It's almost like a sort of oil. It comes off to a point but returns once the bike warms up. Wonder if that's normal? Maybe the mechanics spilled some oil on the fairing when conducting the conrod. fix. and it's heating up, given its proximity to the exhaust. I'm not sure...Are either of you noticing anything similar? No worries. It can't be seen. I'd love to replace the lower fairings with carbon fiber anyway- once the pocket book recovers, that is.

Alight guys and gals thanks again for the welcome and the info. Safe riding!!

Cheers,
Wolfgang
Wolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:15 PM   #5 (permalink)

SD was charging me about the same as they quoted u so i shopped around & called Riverside & Esco. i paid only $210 OTD for the first service at BMW Esco. talked to Jack, he is the service manager really awesome people to deal with. never really notice the discoloration that you have, i should notice if it does since i clean the bike even when its clean! otherwise, i can definitely hitt u up if we head to the canyons.

btw, u do trackdays? or plan to? we usually go & deals are out right now for annual passes/packs. we have some of the greatest tracks out here in socal! lmk if you wanna go or need more info. cheers!
2009 YZF R1 (sold)
2007 GSXR 750 (sold)
2003 YZF R6S (sold)
S1kRRDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement