QUESTION: 3 weeks into my bike and... - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
Go Back   BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum > BMW S1000RR Main > New Member Introductions

» Insurance
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2012, 08:53 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default QUESTION: 3 weeks into my bike and...

Got my 2013 S1000rr in Motorsports colors three and a half weeks ago and have put on 1,400 miles so far. I absolutely love it...definitely the fastest motorcycle I have ever owned.

Quick question: after the 600 mile service is the rev limiter increased or removed altogether? I got going about 170 today, and when I was in third gear I believe that I hit the rev limiter because I wasn't paying close enough attention to the rpms- if a limiter wasn't engaged, no power loss would have occurred, but the bike would have continued running at 16,000, correct?

If I did hit a limiter, what is the default setting AFTER the 600 mile service? Would hitting this limiter once in third gear damage the bike?

Thanks guys! Happy riding!
Rudehugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 09:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Um no, they don't run at 16,000, at least not so far. The dealer will remove the (artificially low) rev limiter at the first service. The rev limit after the first service is just over 14,000, you are free to set the shift light at any rev you want. Running it against the limiter is not a good thing, although I'm sure lots of people do, intentionally or not.

Last edited by skapan; 11-27-2012 at 09:36 PM.
skapan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

I appreciate the response. Maybe you can address one more piece of information that I have been given: I asked a friend concerning the rev limiter and if bouncing off of it was bad, and he told me that BMW allows enough safety room that this wouldn't damage the bike.

I know that I'm being overly paranoid, but I have very little understanding of the mechanics of vehicles and am just trying to gain an understanding of how these things operate.

Even so, I'm sure that doing this once won't cause any major damage, right?
Old 11-27-2012, 11:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
sbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudehugh View Post
I appreciate the response. Maybe you can address one more piece of information that I have been given: I asked a friend concerning the rev limiter and if bouncing off of it was bad, and he told me that BMW allows enough safety room that this wouldn't damage the bike.

I know that I'm being overly paranoid, but I have very little understanding of the mechanics of vehicles and am just trying to gain an understanding of how these things operate.

Even so, I'm sure that doing this once won't cause any major damage, right?
Usually you are OK if you over-rev on the throttle... The REAL problem is if you downshift and push the engine past the limiter. The modern rev limiters are pretty good at slowing the engine's acceleration, but what they can't do, is stop you from pushing the engine past the limiter on a downshift.

I have hit my rev limiter dozens of times and I am now at 44,000 + miles and no problems, even after 20+ track days.
sbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:07 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbs View Post
Usually you are OK if you over-rev on the throttle... The REAL problem is if you downshift and push the engine past the limiter. The modern rev limiters are pretty good at slowing the engine's acceleration, but what they can't do, is stop you from pushing the engine past the limiter on a downshift.

I have hit my rev limiter dozens of times and I am now at 44,000 + miles and no problems, even after 20+ track days.
Thank you so much for that answer...really calms my nerves. Great point regarding downshifting... Never thought of that...even though I would never do that it's a good thing to have in the back of your mind!

Thanks again, man!
Old 11-27-2012, 11:56 PM   #6 (permalink)

sbs, i can't even imagine that you could over rev the engine by downshifting causing damage to the motor. I would expect that the slipper clutch would not allow this to happen. Have you ever seen or confirmed it happened to anyone? Just makes no sense to me.
prev1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:32 AM   #7 (permalink)
sbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by prev1 View Post
sbs, i can't even imagine that you could over rev the engine by downshifting causing damage to the motor. I would expect that the slipper clutch would not allow this to happen. Have you ever seen or confirmed it happened to anyone? Just makes no sense to me.
i was talking in general terms, not specifically about the S1000rr. I had a friend with a heavily modified Porsche 944 turbo that went from 5th gear to 2nd going into the carousel at sears point and just destroyed his engine by revimg to about 9k rpm.

Previously, he had overreved numerous times over the years by missing gear shifts and never had a problem.

Hope that is clearer. I agree it shouldn't happen with a bike with a slipper clutch.
sbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement