BMW S1000RR Forum banner

Thoughts on my S1000RR

3K views 26 replies 18 participants last post by  smiller4169 
#1 ·
Very first motorcycle (& the motorcycle that got me into cycling) & I have to say I overall like her a lot. I never really rode any other sport bikes, such as Gixxers, CBRs, etc. but I think it's safe to say I'll stick with he Bimmer.

I like how it's light & fast. It's also surprisingly easy to control, too. A lot of people would be giving me crap about how I should've gone with a lighter bike & such, but my reasoning was that if I went with a lighter bike, I would eventually be bored & dissatisfied with the power & eventually spend extra $$$ for a new bike, anyway.

Only real gripe I have with it so far is doesn't have a proper fuel gauge. But that's about it.

Next Projects:
LED conversions
Find good side bags (especially one with some form of lock)
Get a phone mount
install USB ports
Get a helmet lock
Louder, more performance oriented exhaust
Tuning her for more power
Maybe get a fuel gauge

If any of y'all know any good sites to get any of the above, or have any additional things for me to add, feel free to let me know, :).

See less See more
#19 ·
I could not agree with this post any more.

So many of us are so concerned with, rear sets, Clip on's, changing gearing, 520 chain sprocket sets, titanium exhausts, blah blah blah, and very few if any of us will EVER exploit the end of the performance spectrum of even a STOCK Honda 600 let alone a stock or God forbid a modded S1KRR. And before you start to argue me....IF you think you can find the limits WHY are you not racing for a living.

Anyway I didn't come here to say that, I came here to say that I learned more in ONE DAY at California Superbike School @ VIR on my 2013 stock GSXR 600 than in all the other 35 YEARS of riding.

CSS will teach you how to ride a motorcycle properly. They will teach you things that you never knew about HOW motorcycles turn and how everything effects the turn. They are fantastic and very much worth the money.

#7 ·
Welcome aboard.

I think if you can respect the machine, S1000RR is not a bad first bike, especially given all the electronic these top of the line bikes come with these days.

#8 ·
True enough. The smooth throttle, progressive power, stability, comfortable steering - all make it easy enough for a beginner. If one is going to be stupid, there is no bike small enough to keep you safe.

The power of the stock bike will not hold you back - unless you are already a very accomplished drag racer. In which case, this would not be your first bike. :)

If you want more noise, there is almost always an exhaust for sale.

#10 ·
A lot of people would be giving me crap about how I should've gone with a lighter bike & such, but my reasoning was that if I went with a lighter bike, I would eventually be bored & dissatisfied with the power & eventually spend extra $$$ for a new bike, anyway.
I think he's saying he would have been disappointed with a 600, not the S1K...

#11 ·
Nothing wrong with a 600 IMO. Personally I think 600 is fast enough for most occasions... If it's a 300 I can understand that you'll get bored really quick though. Every bike has their pros and cons, won't know how it's like until you try them out! And maybe you'll appreciate your bike a lot more as well :)

#14 ·
Congrats! Take your time getting used to the power of the bike. These things accelerate faster than 99% of the cars out there and can get you in trouble real quick. Take an MSF BRC course and see about doing a track day to learn the ins and outs of the bike before you start spending money on exhausts and tunes.

Keep the rubber side down!

#22 ·
Already took Rider Course as it constitutes at least 95% of my current riding skills. Will look into more advanced courses.
Hehe, the bike definitely takes off from a traffic signal. What fascinates me even more is not so much the acceleration of the bikes, but instead the deccelaration; I'd loosen the throttle for just a second & I'll find myself going quickly from roughly 40 mph to 30 mph, but I suppose I speak for bikes in general which have overall lower weight & momentum compared to a car.

If you get a chance, check out california superbike school. It will make you faster on the bike than any mod you can buy.

Nothing can make a rider faster than trackdays and track oriented schools/training.
I could not agree with this post any more.

So many of us are so concerned with, rear sets, Clip on's, changing gearing, 520 chain sprocket sets, titanium exhausts, blah blah blah, and very few if any of us will EVER exploit the end of the performance spectrum of even a STOCK Honda 600 let alone a stock or God forbid a modded S1KRR. And before you start to argue me....IF you think you can find the limits WHY are you not racing for a living.

Anyway I didn't come here to say that, I came here to say that I learned more in ONE DAY at California Superbike School @ VIR on my 2013 stock GSXR 600 than in all the other 35 YEARS of riding.

CSS will teach you how to ride a motorcycle properly. They will teach you things that you never knew about HOW motorcycles turn and how everything effects the turn. They are fantastic and very much worth the money.
The California Superbike School is definitely reputable, but since I live in Dallas, I may look & see if there are schools of similar caliber closer to home.

Everybody on two wheels should watch Twist of the Wrist Abridged on YouTube as well. Excellent film.
Watching it right now & I love it. Will watch it repeatedly to hone my skills as a rider, :smile2:.

True enough. The smooth throttle, progressive power, stability, comfortable steering - all make it easy enough for a beginner. If one is going to be stupid, there is no bike small enough to keep you safe.

The power of the stock bike will not hold you back - unless you are already a very accomplished drag racer. In which case, this would not be your first bike. :)

If you want more noise, there is almost always an exhaust for sale.
I think he's saying he would have been disappointed with a 600, not the S1K...
You could't be more dead on with my reasoning, :laugh:.

Thanks, y'all for the feedback. Definitely enjoying my ride even more.

Now for my next (n00bish) question: at what road speed &/or engine speed would y'all recommend to shift gears at? I find myself either upshifting 2 or 3 gears whenever I'm in a neighborhood (reaching 25 to 30 mph) or I would easily break 40 mph on 1st without even getting close to redline.

If there is indeed a sweet spot to shift gears to gain the best performance &/or prolong engine & transmission, let me know & I would greatly appreciate it, :smile2:.

PS-riding the bike also killed of any desire for me to get a RWD sports car equipped with an oar, :grin2:.

#16 ·
Ive got a (in my eyes) metric ton of riding experience this far in my life and there are times where I feel like the S1000RR is just too much bike, it may be I feel that way because I have habits carried over from the 600's that just don't translate well to a 1000.

Ive been riding for only 8 years but the miles in that time are pretty high for a non adventure rider:
1992 Honda F2 (wrecked) I got it with 12,xxx miles got T-boned at 58,xxx miles
2002 F4i (sold)16,xxx/38,xxx
2007 CBR600RR(stolen) 4,xxx/44,562
2007 CBR600RR(sold) 12,xxx/58,xxx

#25 ·
@ TheAsdaX

Just out of curiosity, how old are you?

#27 ·
Pure curiosity, I made the poll immediately after asking you. If you haven't participated yet please do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.