BMW S1000RR Forum banner

2015 S1KRR - Chain Lube

7K views 25 replies 18 participants last post by  krtalian 
#1 ·
Haven't lubed a chain since the 90's with my old ZX-9...

Questions:

#1. What product(s) do you use to lube your chain
#2. How often do you degrease your chain
#3. How tight do you stick to BMW's 500 mile recommendation

Any advice will be highly appreciated!!

Did i mention that i LOVE my new RR :x

Thanks in advance!!
JZ

#13 ·
Plus 1 for this stuff. I have been a user ever since I ran across this video while "you tubing" one night. It really sold the product to me.
Pittsdriver brings a good point, it's something EVERYONE will have an opinion on, and this video shows you why I believe it's the %hit!

:nerd::laugh::surprise:>:)

#8 ·
This kind of thread is like oil and tire threads and everyone will have an equally valid opinion. For me, I don't particularly like the chain wax type products. They seem like they grab any grit that comes in contact with the chain and holds it there - too tacky feeling to me. The product I use is much thinner so I apply it a bit more often but I like Dumonde Tech chain lube. It's used by racing bicyclists as well as a number of motorcycle racers. It has crazy good lubricating ability and is easy to put on from it's squirt (vs. spray) bottle so less is wasted. I have a large size bottle at home and carry a small one on the bike.

#15 ·
Thanks!!

Thanks everyone for taking the time to share your experiences!!

At least now I have a nice starting point and don't have to experiment with a ton of products on the market...

I am sure the aforementioned products will work just fine for my RR... :)

Regards,
JZ

#17 ·
Looking for some opinions/guidance for winter storage? Anybody do anything special? I've always used chain lube, never tried wax....Thanks in advance

#24 ·
Here's a decent chain clean/lube video:

motorcycle chain cleaning video - Bing video

Instead of kerosene, I use Motul Chain Clean. If my chain is fairly dirty, I'll spray the chain cleaner on after a ride and let it sit for 10 minutes, then brush off the grit/dirt with a Grunge Brush. Then I'll spray the Motul Chain Clean on a rag (microfiber) and wipe the chain clean. Let it dry 10 minutes, then I'll use Motul Chain Lube (Road) on the chain.

In the case of the Chain Clean and the Road Lube, I spray on the INSIDE of the chain (as described in the video), NOT the outside. I spray one rotation of the chain on the far side O-ring channel, and one rotation on the near side O-ring channel.

This technique takes little time, and the chain always looks better than new when finished.

I do this every 500 miles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.