BMW S1000RR Forum banner

Engine Ice coolant.

11K views 30 replies 16 participants last post by  Drac 
#1 ·
It hitting 100 degrees in Texas now. Has anyone put Engine Ice coolant in their S1000RR in these conditions? What kind of difference did it make? Any warranty issues if using it?

#2 ·
I used engine ice in my 05 R1 years ago. I liked it, didn't notice much of a difference. I have heard good things about the Evans products also. I will be making that switch soon, it seems a bit more purpose built. It is pretty hot here in north-western Florida 90-100 and humid. Some people have commented that they have noticed higher indicated temperatures on the display after making the coolant switch. At first, this might seem negative. I think that higher indicated temps means the coolant is working better considering the reading we see is the temperature of the coolant and not a direct material temperature of the engine block itself. More heat, or indicated temp, in the water would mean more heat pulled or transferred from the engine right? Do you think I am off on that idea? I doubt there would be any warranty issues with any packaged coolant, maybe if you were mixing your own brews. Follow the install procedures for whatever coolant you decide, some lose there effectiveness if contaminated.

#3 ·
I would expect the indicated temperature to be lower if the the coolant is more effective at transferring heat from engine to coolant then coolant to radiator. I understand your thinking on this. But once that additional heat is transferred to the coolant and released at the radiator wouldn't the engine temp subsequently continue to drop lowering the indicated temp also?

#4 ·
But once that additional heat is transferred to the coolant and released at the radiator wouldn't the engine temp subsequently continue to drop lowering the indicated temp also?
Yes.

If the coolant temperature is hotter, the engine is hotter.

The advantages with Evans are no water (less system corrosion) and very low/no system pressure, which is good for high stress applications.

#6 ·
I will try to do this scientifically by first riding the bike over the same stretch of highway with the CC on and stopped idling while recording the temp of both. Then replace the stock coolant with Engine Ice and repeat the same ride at the same time of day (temp). Then I will post the results. Should be useful for all you riding at 95-100 degrees.

#7 ·
Can you also document how your replaced the stock coolant? I have found few different ways.

#9 ·
^ Cool. Keep up posted doc on how Engine Ice change goes.

My dealer sells it and installs it on their demo bikes with silicon radiator hoses. They claim it drops temp by 2-5 degrees. But they said it's mostly for longevity and better looks. I was like who the hell cares what a hidden hose looks like :surprise:

#10 ·
My engine ice test results are in. I made 4 different tests first with stock coolant then with engine ice.
All testing was done at 99 degrees outside temperature over the same 15 minute stretch of highway.

Test 1 Engine warmup time until fan turns on (213) while idling
Stock coolant: 6:35 minutes
Engine ice: 5:55 minutes

Test 2 Constant 70mph (76 indicated) until temp stabilized
Stock coolant: 187 degrees
Engine ice: 181 degrees

Test 3 Pull off highway from 70 mph and while idling, record time until fan turns on
Stock coolant: 1:02 minutes
Engine ice: 0:55 minutes

Test 4 Constant 55 mph (60 indicated) until temp stabilized
Stock coolant: 200 degrees
Engine ice: 192

My conclusions, yours may vary.
Engine ice lowered operating temperatures by about 6-8 degrees while cruising down the highway. The faster the legal speed the cooler the engine will ran with both types of coolant but engine ice was cooler. However, engine ice caused the engine to heats up faster both during warmup and when stopped in traffic compared to the stock coolant. Since this is primarily my track bike I will keep the engine ice in it. I suspect it will run cooler like it did during the faster cruising speed test.

Hope that helps others who were considering engine ice.
ps. The seat of the pants temperature test could not tell any difference between coolants. The bike is hot when it is 99 degrees and there is no getting around it.

#15 ·
Great test, better results. I'm going to change to engine ice after reading.
You're temp is increasing quicker with engine ice, because it's pulling the heat from the block more efficiently then stock coolant. AKA the coolant heats up quicker. I'm assuming here that our temp readouts are coming from our water temp sensors. Sounds backwards but it makes total sense as to why your temp increases quicker at idle. In the same way, its more efficient at dumping that temp while riding.

#16 ·
Maximum heat transfer to the coolant will always be better with distilled water and 5 % Motul MoCool or Water Wetter. Any glycol product trades off transfer for freeze protection, Engine Ice is just one example, but yes it cools a bit better than 50% ethylene glycol/water because it's propylene glycol. Banned by most track day organizers. Maybe that ride test could be repeated with distilled water and MoCool?

#24 ·
Apologies for reviving an old thread- but in regards to Engine Ice, I’m seeing the amount of coolant in my reservoir drop steadily, ~.5 from the very “max” level, every couple weeks or so. Temperatures here in Florida around 90-95 everyday, and have picked the bike apart and not seen any evidence of leaking coolant. Is it normal for the coolant level in the reservoir tank to drop from the “max” level? Is this an engine ice thing and the coolant evaporating?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Bike only has ~750 miles on it.

#25 ·
It is much better to revive a relevant older thread than start yet another on the same topic. :)

The bike should not lose much coolant, Engine Ice or otherwise. It is going somewhere. I suspect a hose which is leaking a little and needs to be tightened a tad or the like.

#26 ·
Ah, great. Maybe this will help- I’ve narrowed it down to the reservoir level dropping only after the bike has been shut off and parked in the garage? I will arrive home and check the level, unchanged, then park the bike. When I come outside the following day, level has yet again gone down a tiny bit. Still hoses? Air in system? Thank you!

#31 · (Edited)
Hey guy’s..... new to forum but I have a question please
I’m not planning to take my bike to track and race it (just road) but I’m looking to change the oem coolant to something better, Chicago summer gets to high 90*s special in traffic and running very hot any advice would be great!! Engine Ice or WW?
Thanks 🍻

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.