BMW S1000RR Forum banner

How to: GS-911 WiFi clearing adaptations.........

10K views 25 replies 7 participants last post by  z00 
#1 · (Edited)
Sometimes I forget where that effin place is too, so I took some screen caps as I fumbled my way through it to get there.

Once images load, I'll edit post.

Okay, the first pic, to get here, start at homepage and select "series".

Once in that menu, select what's your bike, but be careful the RR is listed a couple different ways, be sure you get what you got, 3rd gen or prior.

Once that's done you are at the first pic, and under "service" in the ECU menu, it will bring you to the last pic of menu, where you can select and do whatever is appropriate, that will load yet another menu. Follow the directions on screen, which will tell you to cycle your key, and once you are done with everything, before deciding to ride, start the bike and let it run until the rad fan kicks on, until it dies, and then turn off key.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Pro tip:

Don't use the mobile app. I use the PC software, it's easier and works better IMO.

Why are you resetting adaptations anyway? QS or engine?

#5 ·
Thx pops, I still haven't gotten around to looking back into this to reset my QS. This should help.

#13 ·
That very well can be the case here, but I have not experienced any deficiencies using my Android phone as the interface, except when I have done "something" wrong.

I've reset adaptations, throttle position, bled ABS pump, checked and cleared faults, etc. all without the need for a usb cable.

My point being the possibility some users might be to quick to conclude there's a problem with the device(s) and wholly deny the possibility a mistake(s) occurred during the setup phase.

#12 ·
QUOTE=z00;1708329]Where is the quick release terminal? So far if I need to connect my battery tender, I remove the seat, connect it to the batter directly. Are you saying there is a better way to do this? Details, pics, whatever you got.[/QUOTE]

It comes with this model, but you probably can buy it separate.......

Attachments

#15 ·
I see what you mean now. I thought you meant there is an external terminal on the bike to connect to, like in BMW cars. Battery is located in the trunk. But in engine compartment, there is a positive terminal that allows connecting to battery without opening the trunk.

#17 ·
Do you have an older GS-911? I just got mine today (Wifi version) and the menus different. You make it sound like clicking the adaptations link takes you to a different menu that allows you to choose which adaptations to reset. Here is the menu I got.

I had to reset all and the first instruction after the reset was to reteach gear positions. I did this on a stand shifting through the gears without touching the throttle. Shifted back to neutral and then followed your and Benny's instruction to run it through 1 fan cycle with no throttle. It hi 214F and went down to 203 before the temp started climbing again. Only then did I switch it off. On the plus side, it should have reset all of these:

Reset Dynamic Traction Control
Reset Fuel Mix/Idle Control
Reset Throttle Twist-grip Sensor
Reset Throttle Valve
Reset Transmission Gears
Reset Knock Sensors S-Series

With the knock sensors reset, I feel like I should try some high octane race gas. :smile2:

#18 ·
Do you have an older GS-911? I just got mine today (Wifi version) and the menus different. You make it sound like clicking the adaptations link takes you to a different menu that allows you to choose which adaptations to reset. Here is the menu I got.
I had to reset all and the first instruction after the reset was to reteach gear positions. I did this on a stand shifting through the gears without touching the throttle. Shifted back to neutral and then followed your and Benny's instruction to run it through 1 fan cycle with no throttle. It hi 214F and went down to 203 before the temp started climbing again. Only then did I switch it off. On the plus side, it should have reset all of these:

Reset Dynamic Traction Control
Reset Fuel Mix/Idle Control
Reset Throttle Twist-grip Sensor
Reset Throttle Valve
Reset Transmission Gears
Reset Knock Sensors S-Series

With the knock sensors reset, I feel like I should try some high octane race gas. :smile2:
I'm confused by your screen capture it shows for an R-GS?
Yes, you can individually choose what you would like to reset. My guess is you clicked in yet another menu screen to get where you ended up.
The software for the GS-911 is slightly less difficult to use compared to the software for the BMW datalogger, or at least that is my personal opinion.
:crying:

#19 ·
@wfo439 Also, did you scroll down?
I sold my device to a member in NY, so I don't have access to the software anymore. Can't open software if it doesn't "see" a device.

Try view adaptations, if that is a choice, and from there it might be where you need to be to individually choose which to clear, without having to clear all.

Every time I used mine it asked to search for updated software, and it always came back mine was current. Unless there's been a change in the last few months, all I can think of is I did a piss-poor job of trying to help, and should have taken at least two more screen captures that would reflect the appropriate guidance.
Maybe @z00 can do this for the community, and clean up this little mess???
>:)

#20 ·
@wfo439 btw don't wait too long after the fan turns itself off to switch the key off. Not sure if the fan starts again if it would negate the process, resolved only by repeating the entire process again.

The ECU is only waiting for the sequence after prompt to start with zero throttle input........idle/fan on/fan off - then switch key off. Temperature reading isn't a critical element as I understand it, only the aforementioned sequence of events, @bennymx could shed light on this?

#23 ·
See attached.

I rest adaptations after IAT mod. I just did some of items in menu in a row (just with ignition on/off as GS instructs). Then when done with adjustments. Start bike (no throttle), let it idle until fan goes on. Then shut it back off. Done!

GS instructions are pretty clear Mr.Race :grin2: I use laptop version with USB cable. I find iit more stable and better than mobile version.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.