911 my 2012 s1krr bike won't start and headlight not working - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
Go Back   BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum > General BMW S1000RR Discussions > Maintenance

» Insurance
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2012, 06:40 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 911 my 2012 s1krr bike won't start and headlight not working

Hi Guys,
Last night I decided to connect my battery back bc I was gone for 3 weeks and after connecting all the cables. I tried to start the bike but it did not start...It seem that the starter tried to start but it did not. so I charged the battery a little longer and it started right of way...I left it running for 30min and shut it off and the I replaces a light bulb for the undertail lincese tag and after I finished I tried to start the bike up and the battery seem to not have enough juice to start the starter so I gave the battery more juice with the charge and the starter seem to stop working or making noise,now it only make a rattling noise when I press the red start bottom and also notice that the headlight does not work also. Please help !!!! I checked the fuses under the rear seat and they are fine... but the relay keeps rattling(big green right) so I changed the relay with the one next to it which is the same for the relay starter and it did the same noise....HELP!! But everything else powers on?
philpelaez is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2012, 06:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Sponsor/Admin

Garage

The headlight is not going to go on until the bike is running.

From everything you've described I am suspect of the battery even though it's not that old of a battery. Do you have it on a charger now, any other 12v batteries you an try?
#1 Plate/Champion - 2013 SMRI

SMRI #1, WMRRA #112x, USBA #715, AMA #715

HUGE Thanks to my Race Sponsors!!

Riders Discount**PMtec, Inc**Schuberth Helmets**DUNLOP**DrippinWet**Brentwood Barber Shop**MOTUL**MRRF-Road Racing Forum**Leatt Neck Protection**Knecht Automotive

Motorcycle Racing - Because basketball, baseball, football, and golf only require one ball!
1000RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:48 PM   #3 (permalink)

Default this is the relays

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5549.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	10585

I took out one of each to try to buy them...but the empty one where the other big green suppose to be is the one that rattles.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:51 PM   #4 (permalink)

I have not tried another battery yet...I have another one coming sometime tomorrow a lithium 12v 12cell ballistic.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
Sponsor/Admin

Garage

I don't think it is your relay. Sounds like a battery or a bad connection to/from the battery (ground or hot).

Riders Discount**PMtec, Inc**Schuberth Helmets**DUNLOP**DrippinWet**Brentwood Barber Shop**MOTUL**MRRF-Road Racing Forum**Leatt Neck Protection**Knecht Automotive

Motorcycle Racing - Because basketball, baseball, football, and golf only require one ball!
Old 11-19-2012, 06:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
Sponsor/Admin

Garage

You could try and piggy back off your car battery (w/out the car running)...

Old 11-19-2012, 07:05 PM   #7 (permalink)

I dont know Bro ....All the connections seems to be right from the battery from what i disconnected...Unless the dealer when I took it to be service for the 600 miles did not tighten something right under the tank or something. I'm so frustrated...But i'm going to see if trying my car battery works. I'll let you know
Old 11-19-2012, 07:43 PM   #8 (permalink)

Bro !!!! you are the MAN!!!! it worked piggy backing from my car battery!!!! freaking battery this is the second stock battery that i buy and it gives me problems. but what is strange that it charges all the way and it does not work.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

If the stock battery is allowed to discharge completely there's a good chance that it will never hold a proper charge again. That's why they make special "deep cycle" batteries for people that use the battery in that manner. You'll need to use a trickle charger at least a few hours a week to keep the new battery topped up (unless it is LiIon or something).
Maybe you can rescue the battery by using a "desulfating" cycle on a special charger, so don't give up completely yet, but a new battery is the best way to get back on the road.
skapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:30 PM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks bro....!! You have help me alot....I cant wait until I get the new battery...I'm sick and tired of this stock battery. What do you think the 12v 12cell ballistic lithium will work better?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement