BIKE is dead - Page 2 - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
Go Back   BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum > General BMW S1000RR Discussions > Maintenance

» Insurance
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2012, 04:51 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brinu View Post
to quicksand.even i always use my ignition key to turn off my motor.i never use the kill switch to turn off the engine but still my switch had to be replaced
what model year bike? have they addressed this in any of the model year changes? My salesman tried to tell me some **** about how I shouldn't use the kill switch because it can break and then I'd have to replace the switch and I corrected him that they would have to replace it. Just surprised people are still having these issues so often it would really suck to be out on a ride and have this go out... or worse while doing 150 on the autobahn (is the kill switch still functional at this point? It is right?)... sort of a big deal.
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2012, 05:22 PM   #12 (permalink)

bike bought new in august 11 switch gone wrong last june.it was only 10 months old.i was going down the gears filtering through cars heading towards a red light when the bike cut out.pulled the clutch hit the starter switch a couple of times but nothing.parked on the side of the road and made a couple of phone calls.after maybe 10 minutes tried again and it started and headed back home.never started again afterwards.had to have it's switch replaced.i do not know if this problem has been addressed.i was told by this forum that the problem occurs because of high temp.the electronics inside the switch shorts out and becomes stuck in kill position
brinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:51 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brinu View Post
bike bought new in august 11 switch gone wrong last june.it was only 10 months old.i was going down the gears filtering through cars heading towards a red light when the bike cut out.pulled the clutch hit the starter switch a couple of times but nothing.parked on the side of the road and made a couple of phone calls.after maybe 10 minutes tried again and it started and headed back home.never started again afterwards.had to have it's switch replaced.i do not know if this problem has been addressed.i was told by this forum that the problem occurs because of high temp.the electronics inside the switch shorts out and becomes stuck in kill position
Yup.

Mostly happens with warmer temps (like direct sunlight on a warm day). Sometimes time (and shade/coolness) can let the bike work again but the problem will happen again.

No the issue has not been addressed by BMW. The first year this type of switches came out on the K1300 bikes they had a campaign to replace a certain batch of switches (they had a production number on the sides). Nothing relating to the switches on the S1000RR as of yet. They just warranty the switches. The good news is that the switch that is replaced has another two year warranty (including installation labor although they aren't too difficult to change).
viperclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement