Oil Change Information/Torque Specs/etc. - Page 11 - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
Go Back   BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum > General BMW S1000RR Discussions > Maintenance

» Insurance
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2012, 10:55 AM   #101 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Naigaboy

6k mile oil change complete. Shell Rotella T6 and Bosch 3330 Oil filter. Now, im just waiting on the GS911 so I can reset the maintenance interval.
Quick note: I bought the 779 wrench tool Plews 70-779 [Misc.] [Misc.] [Misc.] [Misc.] [Misc.] [Misc.] [Misc.] [Misc.] - Amazon.com and it was too big for the filter that was on there which was a 779. Luckily I have had experience with using screwdriver to loosen filter before...
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2013, 10:40 PM   #102 (permalink)

Jesse makes a universal one, not sure the cost:
Jesse Luggage Systems - Accessories

And for those that want the 541 style Bob's has a plastic version for $20

Bob's Oil Filter Wrench, Hexhead Twins, K1600 | Bob's BMW
stevenknapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:31 AM   #103 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000RR View Post
Nice to have all the following info in one place... let me know if I need to add/modify etc. The following is based on my experience; the torque ratings were provided from the BMW Service Manual Software :
  • Change oil with the bike warmed up - oil drains much better.
  • Book says it should take 3.9L of oil w/filter change... closer to 3.5L or even a hair less was my experience. Remember you should be checking the level of oil AFTER the bike has been run and at normal operating temperature (see pg 105 of owner's manual). You should NOT be checking the level with a cold bike (you may think you have enough oil in the bike when it's actually low - with a cold bike)!
  • Oil Filters - Initially BMW was selling the 779 (11427 721 779) (same filter for K1200 or K1300?) filter for the S1000RR even though it came from the factory with a 541 (11427 673 541).
  • BMW straightened that out and is now selling the 541 for the S1000RR
  • Difference between the two Filters : 779 is about 3/8" longer (slightly more capacity) AND the end of the 779 oil filter fits a normal "B" type filter socket for removing and installing. This is good because the 541 has an end on it that appears to take a special filter socket (pic shown below - Part# 83300 401 554). If you don't care about properly torquing the filter to 11Nm, no biggie. Historically I haven't worried about it, but if I can - why not do it (torque it properly). Personally, I'm using the 779's since they have a friendlier filter end that fits the B-type filter socket, they have more capacity, and it's what was sold to me initially from the BMW dealer.
  • Much easier to do the oil change with the left lower fairing removed - pretty easy removal (2 bolts on the front near the radiator, 5 bolts on the side, 2 bolts on the underside)
  • Put a little aluminum foil under the filter to funnel the oil away from the headers and O2 sensors while removing the existing filter - works great, no mess.
  • Replace crush washer each time the oil plug is removed (Part # 07119 963 252).
  • Oil Filter Torque - 11Nm
  • Oil Pan Plug Torque - 28Nm
Hi, Is it a T45 torx bit for the drain plug ? Always nice to have any special tools required before starting the job. Thanks ! Alyson
Alysonwonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:46 PM   #104 (permalink)

Im not sure if anyone has thrown this suggestion out there. I do my oil changes without having to remove the fairing. I take either an empty water or soda bottle and cut it for use as a funnel of sorts. Remove the oil filter by hand through the left hand side lower fairing hole. Cut the bottle as illustrated and stick the bottle through the hole in the lower left hand side fairing with the large cut opening facing up to catch the oil. What was the cap part of the bottle will drain into an oil pan on the floor. I always put my filters on hand tight and 95% of the time dont need a filter wrench to get them off. I also try to use the K&N filters unless one isn't available. Hope this helps someone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dasani.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	17009  
montage5874 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:01 AM   #105 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by montage5874 View Post
Im not sure if anyone has thrown this suggestion out there. I do my oil changes without having to remove the fairing. I take either an empty water or soda bottle and cut it for use as a funnel of sorts. Remove the oil filter by hand through the left hand side lower fairing hole. Cut the bottle as illustrated and stick the bottle through the hole in the lower left hand side fairing with the large cut opening facing up to catch the oil. What was the cap part of the bottle will drain into an oil pan on the floor. I always put my filters on hand tight and 95% of the time dont need a filter wrench to get them off. I also try to use the K&N filters unless one isn't available. Hope this helps someone.
Thanks for the tip bro!

That will def save time if the fairings stay on.
PistolPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:34 AM   #106 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by montage5874 View Post
I've been doing this with motorcycles since I learned it from other forums. I just ordered the KN160 from amazon, since I already forgot to cancel my Amazon Prime, shipping is free but the $70 charge has paid for itself already.
HBguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 01:43 PM   #107 (permalink)

Default oil change video

Can someone post video how to change the oil
2ALK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 02:39 PM   #108 (permalink)

This entire thread sickens me. Is humanity seriously this inept?

Drain oil. Remove filter by stabbing it with a fvcking screwdriver. Put new filter on. Add oil until max line. Ride motorcycle. Check oil.
Old 09-22-2013, 04:22 PM   #109 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
This entire thread sickens me. Is humanity seriously this inept?

Drain oil. Remove filter by stabbing it with a fvcking screwdriver. Put new filter on. Add oil until max line. Ride motorcycle. Check oil.

Thanks for making me laugh

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 07:24 AM   #110 (permalink)

As a mechanical engineer your technique is effective but should be the last resort

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
john S1000RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement