BMW S1000RR Forum banner

Timing cover gasket help

11K views 19 replies 5 participants last post by  Sleepyalero 
#1 ·
So long story short. I bought my s1k for a steal (in my opinion) 860 miles when i got her, now 3 weeks later about 2300 miles.

The previous owner dropped the bike on the passanger side. Some engine covers are knicked and what not. NBD. Anyway, my (i think) timing cover gasket is giving out (has some decent damage from being dropped) and is seeping a little bit of oil. But im having trouble finding the gasket for it.... Its not to the point where im having a nice stream of oil down the side of the engine. But enough to where its seeping and noticable. But has not made a puddle in the garage yet. But would like it replaced.

In the picture im referring to #1 cover. I dont seem to find a gasket for that cover, but i see the little black screw plug has a gasket according to the picture. But looking at the bike in person it looks as if there is a gasket between the engine and that cover. Any help is appreciated on where i could find it. If no luck ill just call the dealer. While im at it ill have to replace some of the bolts because they are a little chewed as well.

See less See more
#6 ·
The bolts will need to be replaced anyway as they are titanium and strectch when installed and torqued.
I thought they where aluminum.

#3 ·
Thank you sir. So if i were to remove the cover, how much oil (if any) could i expect to lose?

Should i pull the cover, and reseal it with some black RTV? I doubt the donut oring for the little screw cap is the cause of the leak. Unless the cover has a crack? Which i have not inspected for a crack in the cover yet. I just see the "gasket" material around the cover starting to chip or "peel" off. Which made me think is the culprit. But ill have to check for cracking as well.

Ninja posted me: i will order 7 new bolts then as well. Also what would the torque spec be for those bolts?

#4 ·
You won't lose much oil. Put it on the sidestand if you are worried. If it's not leaking from around the plug then it is not the o-ring. It will most likely be the cover. You may need a new cover if it has been damaged or if the mating surfaces are not flat. Silicone won't fix the leak if the surfaces are damaged and un even. Use brake cleaner and a rag or scotchbrite to clean both surfaces. Then apply a thin and even amount of silicone to the surface of the cover. Replace all bolts and torque to 3Nm with an additional angle of 90 degrees. Be careful they snap easily. Do not over tighten.

#5 ·
Yeah i plan on just leaving it on the side stand, figure it would help with the oil loss. But thanks for the info, i will source the parts and get it replaced. Thanks benny!

Reactions: bennymx
#7 · (Edited)
Be careful pulling the small timing cover off, it will be a royal pain in the ass at first, then it will come off almost suddenly. Often the two pins that hold the timing chain guide rails come off with it. Watch for that, and the little black plastic washer that sits on the cover right above the timing hole cover.

If it was my bike I'd check those pins for damage and straightness if that cover took a significant hit.

Here a photo for reference.

Attachments

#10 ·
Having installed a Woodcraft cover, there should be really no oil loss. Everything will be shiny with oil but there will be no pool waiting to come dripping out if it's on the sidestand.

And yeah, taking that cover off is a b****. I think I just ended up going around it with a screw driver and prying on all of the tabs I could find on the cover and then it kind of popped off.

#15 ·
Any updates?

#16 ·
I have not got around to replacing the part yet. I have alot of bills hit me the first week of each month so i have to plan accordingly.

For now im just monitoring the oil until i replace it. I will either go with stock or woodcraft brand. Woodcraft seems like the cheaper/better deal so maybe that route. Plus since i bought the bike out of state i have to pay sales tax in my state when i register/plate it. So that will be about 1000$ there... :serious:

But soon, are you looking for pictures on how to do it? If so i can get that for you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.