BMW S1000RR Forum banner

Running on 2 cylinders

5K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  WillD 
#1 ·
G'day all. The other day while riding with my old man, this occurred two days in a row.

After about 50k's of riding, the bike would start to fire on 2 cylinders only. It was a very distinctive sound. This was accompanied by a dramatic loss of power.

The first day it happened, after pulling over and playing with the throttle a bit, I switched it off and back on again after a short pause. Problem was remedied all the way home.

The second day it wouldn't fix the same way. Intermittently, getting the revs up to about 7k whilst riding all 4 cylinders would start to fire again but if the revs dropped down to ~idle-ish then it would drop back to 2 cylinders. Also, at one stage in first gear, the bike started jerking horribly, almost as if it was trying to stall but because I was still rolling it was also bump starting itself concurrently for 5 seconds or so before just cruising on 2 cylinders again.

Has anyone experienced anything like this before? At the end of the day, my first stop next week is to drop it off to BMW but I just thought I would start the conversation anyway. It could just be as simple as a spark plug problem but I find it odd that it would fire normally once the revs got up a bit. I'll keep you posted with what the mechanics say.

Cheers, Will

See less See more
#4 ·
Hi guys, so sorry I haven't been on for a while.

Haven't gotten to the bottom of this yet, I had the 15,000k service completed and the guys in the BMW shop are pretty content it will be an issue with the Bazzaz computer. It could be anything as small as a poor job on crimping the wires etc. Soooo, I am taking it back to the guys that originally put the Bazzaz computer in so they can dyno/read the codes and go from there. Hopefully it's pretty straightforward :s

Quick question, what does BMW do when guys put the Akrapovic full systems on to remap the bike? Is there a race ECU with different mappings or something similar that wouldn't require an aftermarket computer? I feel a lot of my issues could be resolved just using OEM parts. My old man has a current Tuono and this is what he was able to do.

Thanks again for your time.

Will

#5 ·
I have an akra full system on my 2012...no remap or aftermarket fuel controller. Bike has been running fine for 23000 miles. I believe the ecu automatically adjusts somewhat to an open system, or at least thats what the dealership told me (not ideal for max hp gains but still very drivable). Someone more intelligent than me will chime in soon.

#6 ·
the bike started jerking horribly, almost as if it was trying to stall but because I was still rolling it was also bump starting itself concurrently for 5 seconds or so
I've had the same issue in the past due to the quickshifter being out of alignment or something. I believe the issue was resolved by simply adjusting/aligning the quickshifter to be within spec.

fire on 2 cylinders only
I had an issue like this occur in which the engine would not fire on all 4 cylinders. The engine fault light would light up sometimes and the engine would shut off. I believe the ECU went into 'emergency-operating mode' according to the user manual. This issue occurred after I dropped off my bike to a BMW dealer for recall work and valve clearance check when I had about 20,000 miles on the odometer. They failed to install one of the internal valve cover gaskets properly resulting in a oil leak making its way into one of the cylinders. The bike stored a fault code reading indicating that one of the cylinder spark plug failed. I ended up resolving the issue myself by reinstalling the valve cover gaskets.

#7 ·
*** ISSUE FIXED ***

So, I took it to the guys who installed the Bazzaz. ( I love how issues always seem so simple in hindsight)

Essentially, all they did was start the bike, jiggle the multitude of cords coming into and going out of the bazzaz, and when it started miss firing, they followed that line and kept jiggling. It ultimately led to a cable with a snapped clip that was no longer seated correctly. They re-routed and replaced the wire and it's running good as new.

Very happy to have it fixed - but I feel like I could have done this is my garage and saved myself $250... Live and learn

Will

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.