Race Suit for the STREETS? - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
 45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 74 (permalink) Old 06-09-2017, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

Race Suit for the STREETS?

I wanted to get an expert opinion from you guys regarding a race suit that can be used mainly for the streets.

I understand that they're generally uncomfortable for the streets from what people have said because they're made to be in a tuck position. I'll tuck on the streets

I'm in SoCal. I ride around PCH, canyons & basic streets around OC and Newport areas. Trying to race any supercar I see. No commuting, all pleasure riding so I don't mind the time it takes to get into & out of the suit. Plus I can lanesplit so weather shouldn't make a difference as much when it comes to traffic.

I haven't been to the track ever, but I do see it in my far future I ride about an 1hr-2hr daily before or after my college classes.

I'll be honest, main reason is cause it looks badass, aesthetics over everything call me a poser, haha BUT also cause the added protection!

Any suggestions WILL be greatly appreciated & every time I'll be zipping and unzipping my future race suit, you'll cross my mind!!

Thanks!!

2016 BMW S1000RR
2014 Yamaha R6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 74 (permalink) Old 06-09-2017, 07:23 PM
sro

You might be better off getting a jacket and pants combo.
post #3 of 74 (permalink) Old 06-09-2017, 07:45 PM

Garage
Go with a 2-piece suit. What I would recommend is go to ACT, Bates, or NJK leathers and get a custom 2 piece suit from them. They are all located in SoCal.

post #4 of 74 (permalink) Old 06-09-2017, 09:11 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outta Control View Post
Go with a 2-piece suit. What I would recommend is go to ACT, Bates, or NJK leathers and get a custom 2 piece suit from them. They are all located in SoCal.
What about "Z custom leathers" are they still in business, or Barnacle Bill's?
Btw...not related to the z00.

2015 KTM SDC 1290R
2015 S1000RR - DDC
post #5 of 74 (permalink) Old 06-09-2017, 10:10 PM

Maybe things have changed. My first suit was a 2 piece custom job from ABC leathers (now Bates) Every crash they came apart at the zipper in the middle. It was the weakest link. Your best bet is to find a local store that stocks 1 piece suits and see if you can get a decent "rack" fit. In S.F. we have the D Store. I went there and tried on different suits. The salesman made me climb on a Ducati they had on the floor to check fit in riding position. And I admit, the suit is perfect while riding. It is pure torture otherwise. I should have sprung for a custom suit. The 2 custom suits I had I could wear all day street or track. Current suit? It's like voluntarily submitting myself to water boarding after 4 hours on a track day and I never wear it on the street. Not because I don't want the protection it offers, it is just not comfortable enough for all day rides. I should have gone custom. I would have told them F the built in tuck! Let me stand up straight without crushing the family jewels!
SaiyanMuscle likes this.

Too much of anything is bad,
but too much good whiskey is barely enough.
~ Mark Twain
post #6 of 74 (permalink) Old 06-09-2017, 10:13 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5150 Pops View Post
Yes sorry forgot Z-Custom. Barnacle Bills is not in CA.
post #7 of 74 (permalink) Old 06-09-2017, 10:15 PM

Garage
I ride with an 1 piece AGV on the street and it has saved my backside and left knee. Jeans and a jacket are much more comfortable but a suit is by far the best protection. I've never owned a 2-piece suit because the 1 piece gives me more peace of mind.
post #8 of 74 (permalink) Old 06-09-2017, 10:25 PM
sro

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfo439 View Post
Maybe things have changed. My first suit was a 2 piece custom job from ABC leathers (now Bates) Every crash they came apart at the zipper in the middle. It was the weakest link.

That why advance groups are required to wear a one piece. This guy is street riding and want it for looks.
post #9 of 74 (permalink) Old 06-09-2017, 10:32 PM
z00

As someone who rode in 1pc on the street for 12k+ miles, it all depends on what you do when you're off the bike. If you're gonna be riding most of the time and not socializing, then 1pc for sure. More comfortable, safer, and looks better (what you're after).

If you meet friends, sit to eat, starbucks?? haha then 2pc would work better. The 1pc hump annoyed me the most when sitting on a chair.
SaiyanMuscle likes this.

2015 s1000RR
>10K club president.

--------------------------------------------
If you ain't slidin', you ain't ridin'
post #10 of 74 (permalink) Old 06-09-2017, 10:57 PM
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5150 Pops View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outta Control View Post
Yes sorry forgot Z-Custom. Barnacle Bills is not in CA.
Adolf is still making suits, only out of his home now he has the same girls that he had when he had a shop only now he has them work from home. No over head and he says the girls like it cause they don't have to pay for child care. I saw him about 6months ago. I have two suits from him and he has repaired both of them for me he's a great guy.
5150 Pops and Outta Control like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode