BMW S1000RR Forum banner

Is it worth 1400 dollars?

16K views 80 replies 35 participants last post by  sro 
#1 ·
I picked up the Rossi replica project 46 lid by AGV to see what all the fuss is about. I was kind of impressed due to it's light weight, but more so because of it's looks. After riding in it for hours my head was not sore at all but the helmet is frigging loud, it doesn't cancel any sort of noise out at all; This explains the ear plugs it comes with. :eek:, People seem to give me the thumbs up when i'm on the freeway, it does look cool with tinted visors. I am happy with it and do not plan to take it back, would you guys get one?

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

See less See more
#3 ·
No Way!!

$800 is crazy enough for a good, stylish lid. I draw the line there but lately have been trying to fit my needs in the $500 range. Plus I'm a Shoei guy :D

#6 ·
Congrats on the sweet lid. Who cares what others think, it's your head, your money - spend it how you like. At the end of the day, are you happy with it? Sounds like you are so it was a fine purchase, eh?!

I like nice helmets and I like them to be quiet as I don't seem to be a fan of ear plugs although I probably should be. I have a couple Schuberth SR1's and they are by far the quietest helmet I've owned. Your Rossi has to be damn light eh?!

#12 ·
Nice helmet for sure. It's certainly a looker.

The question of "would I buy one". I would have to go with a no there for a number of factors.

First being I'm not so fond of having someones name or number on my gear. Even a legend like Rossi.

Beyond the name and number one of the things I look for in a helmet is fit and parts support. I don't know of any places that stock AGV carbon helmets for me to go and try on. As for being able to get internal parts or shields not many of the suppliers stock those. Break or scratch an Arai or Shoei shield at a track day and it's likely you could pick one up at cycle gear or borrow one from a paddock buddy. With a AGV you are probably dead in the water as it has to be ordered.

Even though I would not want to buy one. I certainly can admire yours. It's one heck of a gorgeous helmet. If you love it that's the only thing that matters. Many of the things that make this helmet undesirable for me makes it more desirable for you. You are probably not likely to see someone else with the exact same helmet on in the paddock or out on the road.

#13 ·
I bought one a year ago. It's light and fits my head great. Dark smoke and the mirror visors look great from both sides. This helmet is very stable for me at high speeds (track only) and the field of view is better both vert and horiz than other helmets I've used.

I always wear ear plugs so this helmet wasn't noticeably louder than others.

I'm happy. It's still my primary.

#14 ·
I've had one for about a month. It's definitely worth it if you race. Most of the advantages don't come into play below 100. Above that it's noticeably better than my Arai Corsair. Less buffeting, almost no lift, better field of view in a tuck. I would say the ad for it is pretty accurate. :D For the street at legal speeds it's just another cool helmet.

#18 ·
They don't have to necessarily be $1400. That being said, I think the Pista GP is the best helmet on the market right now (that we've tested). It has an awesome FOV, cuts through the air very nicely and the weight really helps with rider fatigue. Plus it looks awesome!

#22 ·
beautiful helmet you have there!
I've been looking very hard at getting the Pista Carbon without the 46 graphics.
I have quite a few helmets ( I dig helmets and kinda have an issue). It's funny one of the things being pointed out as a drawback I find kind of interesting, that it's loud. I only wear ear plugs on long trips, never around town or at the track even though I should. On VERY rare occasions I will hop on my bike a take a little loop around my neighbor hood at a very slow speed without my helmet. It's on those little rides that I "get" why people ride without a lid although I would never do it. Even going around the neighborhood creeps me out a bit. But you can just hear everything so much better, the noise of the engine, the road noise etc. I dig that part of it but I'm not making the trade off of my head to hear better.
So maybe it would be cool to have the protection and get some of the sounds too!
But that ain't no cruising helmet ! :)

#25 ·
Nice lid! I guess you get what you pay for quality wise, but not sure if that extra cost came from it being a replica helmet. I would've rather bought a Skully for that type of cash, that way I could say my helmet can talk. Lol, but that's just my opinion. To each his own.

#29 ·
^^^I'm with you. I don't want any distractions.

I hear carbon isn't the best material for helmets. Also, $1,400 is the retail price. I'm sure some of our vendors will give us a better price.

As for Skully, how many kick starter backers received their helmet.

#30 ·
I actually looked at the Skully site and was surprised they were not already shipping. How long has this thing been talked about? It's got to be at least a year at this point.

I have to agree with the distractions. No interest here. Not to mention the idea of having electronics close to my head in a potential crash situation. Exploding batteries bring on a new meaning inside a helmet. :)

#32 ·
Not sure how many people, if any, bought a Skully helmet. I would never spend that type of cash on a helmet unless I had money to throw away. I was just using the Skully as an example. IMO, there's nothing that my $650 helmet and my smart phone can't do, that any other helmet can. That's protection and technology wise.

#38 · (Edited)
I tested the Pista AGV when I was at Dainese store. Best helmet I have tested and I tested a lot. The curves around neck line, weight, and FOV are awesome. But it ain't worth $1400. I'll get CF/red color version (not a fan of flashy helmets) in Dec if Skully is not released.

I was between size S and MS. Which one should I get?

S is 55-56cm
MS is 57-58

My head size is 56.5

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.