BMW S1000RR Forum banner

Airbag vest, neck protector HELP

30K views 172 replies 35 participants last post by  BruceV 
#1 ·
Hello everyone. I've been doing a lot of track days and I'm focus a lot in my safety and being able to walk way with the least amount of harm as possible in case of a crash. With that said ive seen some people at the track that uses a vest that is an airbag system fro your neck, I'm not sure if it protects anything else. Does anyone here own one. what brand? how d you like it? is it worth it? I've only seen the one from Spedi. Just looking to see if anyone here can help me out. thanks

#2 ·
There are a few manufacturers that make those. Spidi, rs taichi, and a bunch of other smaller manufacturers (I can't recall the name). I have never personally used them, but I used to race with a guy that wore one. At some point he stopped using it, I don't know if its because that thing deployed during small crashes and it was expensive to refill them, if he was unhappy with the performance...etc.

I am personally waiting for the d-air and astars versions to become (widely) available. They seem to offer unparalleled protection, but at $6-10k that's a hard pill to swallow....

Anyway, sorry i know I'm not of much help. Always use you chest protector though!

#3 ·
Awsome Hit Air Vest from Pure Action Sports

Hello,

My husband and I both use the Hit Air Vest MLV Lightweight Model from Jasin Kania of Pure Action Sports.

The vests work great. I could not even feel the vest the first time I used it for a track session. I ride intermediate and use the vest at the track and on the street. I have many friends that use them. Jasin is also a racer so he knows his stuff. Last summer my hubby unfortunately tested his at the track with an off at like 80 MPH, and while he did break his thumb and collar bone he had no body trauma and no bruised or sore ribs. the vest protected his core from any injury. They can be repacked yourself and new refill canisters are about $20. They can take multiple crashes but you want to check it out if you do crash.

They are worth every penny and I would not go out without one. The older I get the less I bounce back.

Contact Jasin with any questions. his link is below.
Moto Gear : MLV LIGHTWEIGHT VEST

#5 ·
Glad your husband suffered no serious injury but the fact he still broke his collarbone is concerning for me as it's the most commonly broken bone in a fall. If I was going to invest in an air vest I would want it to provide protection from this type of injury if possible. Purely my opinion of course.

#6 ·
The vest will protect from the most common collar bone break which is your helmet breaking your own collar bone. In the case of my husband's highside he landed on his shoulder/head. The vest protected his neck and core.

So yes, the vest does protect the collar bone, but not if you land on your shoulder. Perhaps it is time for you to consider a convertible? haha kidding.

#8 ·
As team Jilly was saying the helmet induced collar bone fracture is the one that can be most "easily" prevented with systems like that.

Now, regardless of how many plastic/Kevlar patches our suits may have on the shoulder area, when your body touches the ground friction will slow slow down whatever touches the tarmac first. The rest of the body will be moving forward at bike speeds. In a situation like that your collarbone will snap, nothing you can do about it. But yeah in essence as SRO said, the extent of the injury will be mostly determined by the type of crash

#10 ·
I dislocated my collar bone and never knew about it . My right side now is about 3/4 of a inch higher than the left where it is attached at the upper chest area . I think it happened in a mountain bike crash were I fractured my skull so I didn't notice. It was 4 yrs after when I started having neck issues that I noticed .

#13 ·
You can still break your collar bone with a Leatt, but if they are fitted properly, it's not too likely (but still possible). I'd MUCH rather break a collar bone than my neck though.

I've raced w/the Leatt for the last 3-4 years. Currently have their new CF brace. I also wear some of their gear dirt bike riding. They make plenty other stuff (protection wise) too.

The owner guy is a racer himself.

#15 ·
Airbag Protection Option

The Helite vest is starting to become more popular with riders at the track. Helite has the fastest deployment on the market for mechanical airbag systems. It also immobilizes the head and neck more than other airbag vest. As well as providing chest, spine, rib, hip and kidney protection. Easy to use, and reliable. Engineered and hand-built in France, each airbag system goes through rigorous testing before it leaves the Helite facility. Less expensive than the electronic systems and you can wear them on and off the track. Ride safe!

Nichole

#16 ·
I just ordered set of Spidi Roo custom leathers with the DPS system after breaking 6 ribs, collarbone, and a pnuemothorax last year. They should be here for my track day March 19th. so hopefully I can only tell you how they feel not deployed. :) But here is a video of the suit in action
Spidi DPS Airbag Motorcycle
and this is what they will look like. and its really not pink. its a red... But I'm sure whatever you get its better than nothing at all.

#17 · (Edited)
I know this is an older thread but I'm in the market for an air vest (maybe suit).

I've been looking/reading a lot about all the different suits and vests.

For ease of use no doubt the suit is the way to go(talking about for the track).

Now I may be all wrong on this one - what I have seen - the vests actually offer more protection - but of course we have to deal with putting it on taking it off.

Many companies offer these vests - again I don't have any practical experience with any of them.

Based on what I've read and information I've received from various companies and talking to riders that actually have one.

Helite is one of the better ones maybe the best?

They have the Turtle model which really looks like a great vest - lots of protection. Problem with the Turtle(maybe not a problem) since my race suit has a back hump - is it possible for the Turtle's neck portion of the vest to not deploy in the best/correct location?

I asked that question to the folks at Helite - they responded that the vest will work but of course there is the chance that it will not provide maximum protection because of the hump.

So they are very aware of many potential customers are track riders and they may own a race suit with the hump.

They right now have in production a race version for humped back racing suits - the back area has a cut out for the hump to insure proper fit and coverage.

I like it - and checked with them yesterday - they are hoping for an April release date and maybe a little earlier.

Now the only down side(possibly)of getting the race version - if you want to use it for street riding with a regular jacket - if you were to land on your back and say there was a big rock on the ground - of course it does not offer you any protection in that area. It still blows up on both sides of your back but has that middle area exposed.

Also again I may have this wrong - if we go with an air suit - I think all of them today - if deployed - suit must go back to manufacturer for inspection - recalibration - recharge.

From loss of use(time to send it in and get it back) to cost of this service - I understand it is somewhat expensive.

The vests can be reused several times - some as many as 6 times before it must go back to the manufacturer for inspection.

After a deployment - after we inspect it for any sign of physical damage all we have to do is replace the co2 cartridge which I believe are relatively inexpensive something like $25-$30.00.

Here is a link to Helite - take a look and see what you think - I'm not affiliated with them in anyway - just been doing my homework.

At this point I'm going to get one - I do enough track days to warrant it and also I will report back here what I think of it in regard to fit and finish and comfort - hopefully not how it saved the day.

Motorcycle Airbag Vests and Jackets Helite Airbag Experts

Here is a few pics of the race one for hump back suits.

Attachments

#18 · (Edited)
I know this is an older thread but I'm in the market for an air vest (maybe suit).
Hey Bruce, I have the Spidi vest and it didn't work for me on the track, the airbag was interfering with my body position at lean, meaning I couldn't lift my helmet up to see. The helite may be better, but be sure to test it with your leathers on and simulating a full lean position while you look up.

A couple of guys at the track wear the new Dainese D-Air integrated suits and love them. One crashed while wearing it while I was there and he said it saved him, unfortunately he had to send it back for reset and his next track day was in 2 weeks. So he bought a whole new suit! Most of us don't have that kind of disposable income, so yes, there is a downside to the integrated airbag.

Alpinestars has one as well (techair), you can buy it from European sites today or wait for US version this Spring.

Attachments

#29 ·
Okay looking at this pic - I think you maybe right - don't see how the neck of the vest would not be in the way.

The helmet is shaped good but maybe not enough.
I have an Arai race helmet (see pic in my post wearing vest). I've heard some vests have a lower profile made for racing and bag is tucked in better, but with the Spidi I felt like I had a neck roll back there and had to ditch it after my first session.

#21 · (Edited)
Bruce, I'm set on buying Helite race version vest. As far as your only concern with opening on back while riding on the street; that's not a concern for me. I already ride with a back protector on the street. So there is protection IMO. What's your thought on that?

My friend has motod air vest, she crashed last season and she said it saved her collar bone. But the vest gas cap gets in the way. If I go in full lean it bothers me. So my suggestion is that you definitely test whatever you get on the bike (don't need to be riding), just try full lean and tuck positions.

Another approach is that you can get regular Helite vest for the street. Maybe get a suit with an integrated vest. But having to send them back for repair is a dealbreaker for me.

A side question. Do you have Bell pro carbon helmet (not regular carbon one)? It looks good on paper. Do you like it? Any negatives? I need a 2nd backup helmet with my AGV Pista.

#22 ·
z00:

I'm not too concerned about the race version on the street myself. I think it would be fine with or without a back protector for almost all situations.

My helmet is a few years old so it is not the new Bell. I may be getting one this summer - I really like the one I have - I was a long time Arai only - until I tried on my Bell.

Honestly that is the deal breaker for me as well in regard to purchasing an air suit - the cost/time involved if you crash wearing it to get it back.

#25 ·
I have the Alpinestars GP Pro for Tech-Air suit and Tech-Air race vest. I also happen to have the same Bell Star Dunlop helmet above. The race vest attaches to the to the suit. It does not impact the helmet in any way. However, when installed in the suit it makes it fairly rigid from the top of the tailbone to the bottom of the neck. This is because it is incorporated in a full CE back protector. It makes it harder to get in and out of the suit because it is zipped into the suit and can't be unzipped until you are out of the suit. The good thing about this design is that if it ever inflates it can be sent off separate from the suit and the suit remains fully usable.

#27 ·
When you use the vest on the outside of your suit - does your suit have the hump and does the vest have a cut out for it?

Until I spoke with the folks at Helite in regard to using their vest that does not have the cut out for a hump I probably would have gone with that one - but of course they will have the race version out soon.

#28 ·
It fully zips inside the suit, just like some back protectors. It has no impact on the hump. That is what it actually looks like. However, unlike my prior back protector vest, it cannot be used without zipping it inside the suit. Hence, you cannot take off the suit first and then the back protector. Don't be fooled by any images showing it outside, they are just cutaways showing how it works. It remains inside the suit at all times. The suit is designed with stretch points at every location needed to accommodate the expansion.

Attachments

#36 ·
Nichole sent me this video with a response in regard to the my question about the vest interfering with head movement.
Looking functional. There is a refund policy right? Let's start a group buy.

I like that it's not too long on the front to interfere when hanging off.

Reactions: eagle734
#33 ·
I ordered the suit from TJ at Riders Discount. He gave me a great price, well below list. I don't want to mention it here in case that is a problem for him. Hit him up, he'll take care of you. I ordered the vest from Motostorm in Italy. I had some discount codes from prior orders and it came in below $1,000, with shipping. I had a little problem with FedEx trying to charge me a customs charge because they said that it was clothing/leather vest. I refused to pay and sent them the information as to what it really was and never heard back from them.

#37 ·
This is part of the reason that I chose the Tech-Air system.

LORIS BAZ SEPANG CRASH TELEMETRY RELEASED BY MOTOGP
BikeGP / February 9, 2016
MotoGP.com has released the telemetry data from Loris Baz’s 290km/h crash at IRTA Sepang tests. Loris Baz crashed at a speed of around 290 km/h during the morning session of the second day of the MotoGP™ test at the Sepang International Circuit in Malaysia, on February 2nd.The accident happened on the second day of the MotoGP IRTA tests at the circuit’s main straight after a technical failure attributed to the Soft Michelin rear tyre caused a loss of control causing the Avintia Racing rider to crash at 290Km/Hr. The French rider got separated from his Ducati after a period of around 1.9 seconds.

MotoGP.com further revealed that the Alpinestars Tech-Air Race airbag system, housed within his leather suit, deployed when Loris was launched and then the first impact with the track took place 60 milliseconds later with the highest energy impact recorded at 29.9g’s on his left shoulder.

From the moment that Loris impacted the track, the duration of the slide lasted for 6.6 seconds. Despite the speed and level of impact force associated with the crash, Loris was able to walk away with just a bruised elbow and resume testing later that same day.

Attachments

#39 ·
No better testimonial than that crash. I like the vest covers the shoulders - the others do not.

Now the $$$$$$ question - do we spend $2K or around $600.00. Look no one here wants to get hurt and that suit/vest setup looks just about as good as it gets right at the moment.

I can try and see if there is enough interest what kind of deal can be had if enough of us are interested in the suit and vest.

I know TJ will work with us especially if it is a group buy. Don't know about the vest pricing but can look into it.

One of my big problems buying a new suit almost always I have to have it altered or I live with something that is pretty good. Very short inseam and it really sucks when the knees of my suit are down near my ankles.

#41 ·
Vickie and I scored two pointtwo air vests at the show for an unbelievable price. Also got extra harnesses to be able to use them on multiple bikes and a couple of extra canisters too. No need to send in for repack, but they would like to see the vest every few years and will inspect and upgrade (if there are improvements) for $75 flat fee. Maybe not the absolute best on the market, but I was shown the approval for US Border Protection usage, and the certs for Euro usage. Made in the UK. He even strapped a vest on to Vickie and set it off so we could see the effect. Holy cow, 8 milliseconds to fully inflate, they have made huge improvements since the company started making them (the pointtwo refers to the original inflation time, 200 milliseconds).

Apparently Helite vests are made in China, with the triggers made and installed in Japan. Not making judgement, just something I didn't know.

#43 ·
One other thing I forgot to mention with my Spidi vest on the track: it scratched the f**** out of my Duc's steel tank. Deep gauges that can not be buffed way. It was a combination of the zippers in the vest and the metal cannister valving in the upper right pocket. @BruceV can you pls check with your contact at helite where on the their vest the tether attaches to? Front or rear? Any metal or hard parts on the front that could scratch bodywork during tuck/lean? This is not a problem on the integrated suits..

I'm in for the group buy.

#45 ·
Looking at the picture of the vest - looks like 2 Velcro straps - so no zippers. The tether is located towards the bottom right front of the vest. The vest is cut somewhat high - but maybe not a big deal when sitting upright or hanging off to the right - but when shifting left hanging off left - it may be a problem.

#46 · (Edited)
Hit Air Vest

Putting in my vote again here for the Hit Air Vest MLV Lightweight Model. I haven't used any others so I can't compare, but I like mine and it hasn't scratched my bike either. Can't feel it when I am using and dont leave home without it, street or track. I'm thinking that the Hit Air Vest may provide more air flow for hot days than some of the other vests while still having good coverage when deployed. There are clips that attach in the front.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.