BMW S1000RR Forum banner

Why not 200 hp???

8K views 25 replies 18 participants last post by  rchase 
#1 ·
There must be a reason all these motorcycle manufactures stop short of saying their bikes are 200 hp and only claim 199.
Why is that, insurance or some legal regulations?

#4 ·
I think it started with the Suzuki Hayabusa. Upon launch, an ad showed it blowing past some Italian sports cars. Suzuki was told to detune the bike in order to sell it in Europe. I'm sure manufactures could easily build bikes with 200 HP going over 200 MPH. In fact, some say S1000RR is restricted, which can be removed.

#10 ·
...because maybe when they actually tested it on an accurate ENGINE dyno (not the typical rear wheel Dynojet ACCELEROMETER that is used by the rest of us), it did, in fact, make 199hp?

Reactions: billyards
#13 ·
215 is the published HP for the 2018 HP4. Isn't the Busa supposedly also in the 215 range? I check the Suzuki site and didn't see it though.
I think you're going to see all of the big bikes over 200 in the next year or so.

I had heard something similar , and thought it was to keep the hair down on the back of the insurance companies, not that 199 doesn't seem insane at times.

#20 ·
I'll tell you why. 200HP is the limit for maintaining acceptable service intervals and life expectancy of a street ridden motorcycle. The HP4 race may have 215HP. But that extra 15 comes at a cost of engine rebuilds every 5000kms and engines removed and sent to Germany for the procedure. The Ducati super leggera and the like have long had this process also. Top end rebuilds and full rebuilds at certain intervals. So yes they are fine for track use and for those with a large salary. But for the street versions it's not economical and will not sell to the general demographic. The amount of stress put through the light weight components these days is reaching a equilibrium.

#22 ·
I supposedly have (from the Yosh guy I talked to) 200hp now at the crank. 1hp is about 1/2% increase from the 199, insignificant in Engineering terms. I think it's like I said, they made some Engineering decisions about power, cost, emissions, and reliability, threw it all together and tuned it as best they could, and the number came to a true 199 on a REAL engine dyno vs 215hp measured "at the brochure". :)

#26 ·
My $.02

BMW keeps the RR at 199hp on the specs sheet mostly because they would rather understate and over deliver in performance. Manufacturing variances make it difficult to pin down this number accurately.

Manufacturers measure horsepower on the crank while the rest of the industry uses dyno's that aren't very accurate. Dynos don't take into account sprockets, chains, tires and ambient temps. They just run the bike through the gears and spit out a number. All of these numbers can be gamed. Run a bike on a cold day and you get a different number. Stick some sticky racing slicks on the bike and put them on warmers ahead of the run and higher numbers. Change the sprocket and chain...... You see where this is going..... Dyno figures are pretty useless... They also don't measure how much power can "really" get put down since most of the time they disable traction control systems. You aren't going to be riding without traction control on a bike with any kind of power unless you are just plain stupid or are actually talented. Most of the people who think they are talented are just stupid. :)

True engine output is most accurate at the crank in controlled conditions which is what most manufacturers provide. Some are more honest than others. MV Agusta for example has their F4's that supposedly put out 201hp. For some reason or another these are easily stomped by RR's that only put out 193hp (first and second generation). Why? MV games their numbers to appeal to their more money than brains customers who will buy these bikes because they are pretty. P.S. I own an F4 myself and I bought it cuz it was pretty. :)

You can mentally masturbate all you like on spec sheets. The real test of performance is when you have one out on the track. What many don't understand as well is the RIDER and their experience plays a lot into this.

A good example of this? Nate Kern. Nate stomps the crap out of 200hp+ Race prepped Ducati's on a regular basis on his Nine T racer with half the power and lots of design issues (it's a coffee shop cruiser not a sport bike) to deal with.

You can buy the biggest and baddest and fastest bike but it won't make you a better rider. I agree it's nice to have the power (I have two RR's myself) but there are other riders with more talent than I do that regularly get past me on "inferior" bikes.

Personally I ride because it's fun. I really enjoy the sensations a full throttle RR gives me on a long straight. If you are riding for global track domination or for bragging rights that's a real expensive endeavor for nothing gained. Nobody really cares or notices you other than to get out of your over competitive way. We are usually all waiting to hear about your next crash and hoping not to be caught up in the carnage. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.