S1000rr hesitation w/ PC5? - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
Go Back   BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum > General BMW S1000RR Discussions > Exhaust and Fuel Delivery

» Insurance
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2010, 07:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

Garage
Default S1000rr hesitation w/ PC5?

Hi - I have an S1000RR BMW and am experiencing a bog or hesitation hesitation in acceleration that seems intermittent and also occurs when rolling into the throttle while accelerating off the corner.

I have been looking for others who have encountered this gremlin. I can't get it to reliability repeat, so sometimes it does it and other times, in the same conditions, it won't hesitate. This is very puzzling, and I have not had other people say that this is a problem they are encountering. For the sake of comparison, My bike has an AK Evo full exhaust, a PC 5 for fueling correction, and several hours on the dyno tuning the motor + the TC ABS and quick shifter.

The problem usually occurs when I am throttling up in the corner exit between 5000 and 8000 RPM. I am moving the throttle rapidly, and the problem(bog, miss, hesitation) occurs as many as 3-4 times in a row (Most often once) before the bike clears up and runs. I have the same problem when the bike is in the slick mode and the race mode settings of the traction control.

I have been speculating that the addition of the PC5 may introduce an extra delay into the EFI computer's throttle position calculation for the ride by wire throttle. If this was happening, the bike may be getting a throttle movement command that is not synchronized with the fuel injection pulse, a little like the old slide needle carbs when you opened the throttle too fast.. Of course, I may be out in left field on this, but the problem is real and very annoying and distracting.

Have any of you all had this problem? Could this be a problem with the PC5?

I am looking for other ideas! Thanks!

Mike Calloway
865-207-8067
yzfr1mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2010, 12:25 AM   #2 (permalink)

Garage

mike, i have heard that jeremy toye was having issues with his exiting corners. he would be giving it 100% throttle and the ecu will only give it a percentage based on lean angle built into parameters of the ecu. i dont know if this is what you are feeling but its possible. i have yet to track mine to see or understand whats happening. call lees cycle service as they have the most knowledge about this bike racing it in the ama series.
bsinclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 12:54 AM   #3 (permalink)
R.I.P., you will be missed but never forgotten...

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzfr1mike View Post
Hi - I have an S1000RR BMW and am experiencing a bog or hesitation hesitation in acceleration that seems intermittent and also occurs when rolling into the throttle while accelerating off the corner.

I have been looking for others who have encountered this gremlin. I can't get it to reliability repeat, so sometimes it does it and other times, in the same conditions, it won't hesitate. This is very puzzling, and I have not had other people say that this is a problem they are encountering. For the sake of comparison, My bike has an AK Evo full exhaust, a PC 5 for fueling correction, and several hours on the dyno tuning the motor + the TC ABS and quick shifter.

The problem usually occurs when I am throttling up in the corner exit between 5000 and 8000 RPM. I am moving the throttle rapidly, and the problem(bog, miss, hesitation) occurs as many as 3-4 times in a row (Most often once) before the bike clears up and runs. I have the same problem when the bike is in the slick mode and the race mode settings of the traction control.

I have been speculating that the addition of the PC5 may introduce an extra delay into the EFI computer's throttle position calculation for the ride by wire throttle. If this was happening, the bike may be getting a throttle movement command that is not synchronized with the fuel injection pulse, a little like the old slide needle carbs when you opened the throttle too fast.. Of course, I may be out in left field on this, but the problem is real and very annoying and distracting.

Mike Calloway
865-207-8067
Hi Mike,

I have no such issues with mine. I believe that whatever is causing what you have is not a generic thing but specific to you bike/set-up/configuration etc. Something in the mix is not working correctly but it is not that all PC5's or BMWs etc. have this issue. I think a process of elimination will be the only way to get it sorted. I may be the lean angle sensor as stated above. I would start by disconecting the PC5, try it without, and go from there.

N.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 03:44 AM   #4 (permalink)

I'm not sure if our problems are the same, but when I'm off the throttle, and slowly coming on again, there seems to be a small delay, resulting in a power jolt. This is only noticable under 4000rpms. It is quite annoying, but I don't know how to get rid of it. I'm running Arrow full race, PCV and map from Dynojet matching this setup.
Jazzmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 05:57 AM   #5 (permalink)

I have a full akra/pcv and had a similar problem from closed throttle/roll-on exiting a corner,I richened the fuelling slightly at small throttle openings which seems to have improved it.I haven't tried it on track again but I think I'm going the right way.

I also remember seeing,in the description for the pcv,that "it allows the fuel accelerator to be enabled to cure the off/on throttle hick". I spoke to my dyno man and he knew nothing about it!
gixerconvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 09:58 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzfr1mike View Post

Mike Calloway
865-207-8067
My bike did this the first few sessions I rode it on the track. It was extremely annoying, the hesitation was really bad exiting - it would cut out so abruptly that my helmet would hit the screen then it would come back and almost pull me off the bike. It was completely random, but stopped doing it after a while.
Steverin06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 10:35 AM   #7 (permalink)
TDA

What Mode are you in? I've got three custom maps and non of them show any hesitation. I only have felt that in rain and sport modes when I am past the lean angle point and don't get drive out of the corner until I bring the bike up.
TDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 11:58 AM   #8 (permalink)

this huge fuel cutout that some of you are experiencing, I wonder if it's the same thing I've noticed when revving my bike at a standstill, and the DTC starts flashing and the bike won't rev past 7000rpm. It's not a limiter, it just completely cuts out.

And...it's nearly impossible to repeat it. It's bad enough just sitting in the garage and it happens, I can't possibly imagine how bad it'd be while riding!!

Otherwise, however, my bike runs like a champ; I've never felt even the slightest hiccup on the road.
kismetcapitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 04:29 PM   #9 (permalink)

Garage
Default S1000rr hesitation

Thanks for the feedback, I have tried a "0" map, and it still does the hesitation. I am running the bike in either the slick mode or the race mode of the traction control. The problem also happens when vertical and not cornering.

Other things I tried: This weekend I disconnected the TPS wire to the PC5 and soldered it to the bike's TPS wire (white/blue). This did make a noticeable difference in the rate of occurrence of the hesitation, but it did not eliminate it. I emailed DJ this weekend and they asked if it did it with a 0 map (yes) and if it does it without the PC5 (No). They asked me to return the unit for repair, as it is most likely a hardware problem with the PC5.

So, tomorrow while it is still cool, I will remove the PC5 for return to DJ.

The biggest difference so far is the soldering of the tps wire from the PC5 to the bike's tps wire.

Thanks again!
yzfr1mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 06:20 PM   #10 (permalink)

Now that I think about more, I think it happened with me whenever I was shifting. These bikes cut out too much and really hesitate sometimes using the QS
Steverin06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement