Akrapovic.....too bloody loud!! - Page 3 - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
Go Back   BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum > General BMW S1000RR Discussions > Exhaust and Fuel Delivery

» Insurance
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2010, 05:58 AM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devyl View Post
Unless you are really slow (think Harley), loud pipes don't save lives. Loud pipes are simply annoying or worse, scaring people you pass. Don't get me wrong, a nice engine noise is music to my ears (attending a F1 race for instance is a unique experience) but let's stop with the whole "loud pipes save lives" cause they don't.
well its probably ok for you americans with your wide and straight roads lol but trust me over here in the UK its good to let car drivers know your there otherwise you can gurantee sooner or later someone will pull out in front of you and take you and your pride and joy out and i wont lay in my hospital bed saying god i wish i had a quiet exhaust but yes i do also take into consideration your points but surely the more people who can hear you comming rather than just relying on peoples inabillity to look is a good thing relying on 2 sense's is better than 1 sight and sound
marty2608 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2010, 07:18 AM   #22 (permalink)
R.I.P., you will be missed but never forgotten...

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by th3hoff View Post
i spoke to park lane bmw and they advised me that in virtually all cases that the shorty full system gives more power. but at the minute even with the pcv the bottom end cannot be sorted what so ever because of the back pressure lost with the full system and the ecu wont let the pcv change enough down low. they also said that a later ecu upgrade will cure the bottom end but then a dyno run will have to be done again.
That plain bollocks. If you have a look at the dyno charts, a full pipe actually makes more hp everywhere except in 1 small area for a few hundered rpm (it's actually from 3600 to 4200 - you can't even ride a superbike that revs to 14000 at those rpm's). And the fuelling gets even better after PC V. See the attached with 3 sock bikes witout fueling back to back. The red line is with full pipe which made 6 hp after fuelling.

N.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	All BMW's.JPG
Views:	214
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	2133  
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 07:49 AM   #23 (permalink)

my understanding is that a shorter exhaust system will give slightly better bottom end and midrange punch and a longer exhaust system will have the same affect as a short system but will give more bhp at the top end, nigel are the same nigel on a american gsxr site..???
BUZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 08:23 AM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
That plain bollocks. If you have a look at the dyno charts, a full pipe actually makes more hp everywhere except in 1 small area for a few hundered rpm (it's actually from 3600 to 4200 - you can't even ride a superbike that revs to 14000 at those rpm's). And the fuelling gets even better after PC V. See the attached with 3 sock bikes witout fueling back to back. The red line is with full pipe which made 6 hp after fuelling.

N.
so looking at that sheet at around 75kmh there is a drop with the red line ie... the bottom end is fluffy??? for general low box around town riding that would be coughing and spluttering??
th3hoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 08:55 AM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty2608 View Post
well its probably ok for you americans with your wide and straight roads lol but trust me over here in the UK its good to let car drivers know your there otherwise you can gurantee sooner or later someone will pull out in front of you and take you and your pride and joy out and i wont lay in my hospital bed saying god i wish i had a quiet exhaust but yes i do also take into consideration your points but surely the more people who can hear you comming rather than just relying on peoples inabillity to look is a good thing relying on 2 sense's is better than 1 sight and sound
Sorry but I agree with Devyl, loud exhausts just piss everyone off including me, in these days of 'green' and persecution for anything like a fast car or bike the last thing required is a loud exhaust that attracts unwanted attention.

Also where I ride (N Wales) Plod also agrees with the above
In my experience a 'replacement' exhaust when fitted with the db killer also loses performance over the standard system
Old 05-30-2010, 09:06 AM   #26 (permalink)
R.I.P., you will be missed but never forgotten...

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by th3hoff View Post
so looking at that sheet at around 75kmh there is a drop with the red line ie... the bottom end is fluffy??? for general low box around town riding that would be coughing and spluttering??
I do not ride at 3500 in 4th. I would ride at 5 or 6k in 3rd. You cannot ride at 3500. Try it!! Besides 3 or 5 hp loss at 3500 does not mean it is spluttering and fluffy. It pulls clean through that in 6th gear. I do not know where the dealer gets that info.

P.S. If in your analysis the bike is coughing and fluffy at 3500 with a full pipe, is it coughing and fluffy with a stock pipe at 5000 (or anywhere else)? Or does the stock pipe just make less power?

N.

Last edited by Nigel; 05-30-2010 at 09:14 AM.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 09:20 AM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikef4uk View Post
Sorry but I agree with Devyl, loud exhausts just piss everyone off including me, in these days of 'green' and persecution for anything like a fast car or bike the last thing required is a loud exhaust that attracts unwanted attention.

Also where I ride (N Wales) Plod also agrees with the above
In my experience a 'replacement' exhaust when fitted with the db killer also loses performance over the standard system
so you are a sheep shagger or live near proper sheep shaggers.....
BUZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 11:09 AM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty2608 View Post
we can agree to disagree but please spare us the anti-American generalities. My bikes don't see many wide and straight roads (you may not be familiar with California) and I have been of the same opinion about exhausts ever since I started riding on the twisty roads of the South of France 20 or so years ago.

Once again, I think a loud exhaust sounds gorgeous but I don't rely on this to be seen (defensive street riding serves me better) and at high rpm, the stock exhaust sounds already mighty good!
Devyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 11:22 AM   #29 (permalink)

I had the Racefit Growler on my 08-ZX10R, and in the beginning I was amazed and fascinated about the level of sound this machine produced. But in the end I realized it was just too much. Even with ear plugs, it was too much.
Jazzmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 12:05 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devyl View Post
Once again, I think a loud exhaust sounds gorgeous but I don't rely on this to be seen (defensive street riding serves me better) and at high rpm, the stock exhaust sounds already mighty good!
I love the sound of my Harley's aftermarket pipes - sweet music. I don't rely on them to protect me. I rely on self-awareness and riding skills. But at the same time, if my pipes get a soccer mom on a cell phone to pay attention, so much the better.. And anyone who says that won't happen, hasn't tried it.

I love the sound of my CBR too. I hope I can find a similar pipe for my S1000. Sounds like this pipe may be the ticket.

Eric
Litig8r15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement